Gold Coast - Picks-a-plenty

Remove this Banner Ad

Who does GC move on to make space for draft picks & mature age recruiting?
If there was ever a year to go all out & have an immense & immediate clean out it is this year for the Suns.

At least 3 for the draft & I would honestly expect them to look at landing Sloane, Guthrie, McVeigh (on a coaching deal) & someone like Taylor Duryea. All would add to the club culture immediately.

Poach Hawthorns fitness guru Andrew Russell

Offload a some of the youngsters for future firsts or preferably player trades to bring in Dylan Shiel & Dane Rampe a year out from being uncontracted, to have a GWS type start over on steroids.

I really like GCS & hope that they aren’t a laughing stock in 2019. Being bold in building doesn’t mean winning the draft...

Who makes way at GC for it to happen?

In : Shiel, Sloane, Guthrie, Rampe, Duryea, McVeigh
Pick 4, 18, 23

Out....
What make you think your suggested trade in will be 100% winner , nothing is guarantee . This is not a fantasy team.

What make you think your suggest trade in will be 100% winner , nothing is guarantee . This is not a fantasy team.

GC is far from a Fantasy team both in the RW & on an app....
Anything that improves the immediate need for success, development sustainability, culture & supporter base has to be better that the current situation.
GC are terrible & have to do something soon to avoid being irrelevant.
What I have proposed previously is rather dramatic to say the least but still achievable. No different to how the Suns started

GC is far from a Fantasy team both in the RW & on an app....
Anything that improves the immediate need for success, development sustainability, culture & supporter base has to be better that the current situation.
GC are terrible & have to do something soon to avoid being irrelevant.
What I have proposed previously is rather dramatic to say the least but still achievable.
Yes but you forget that every club need to delist players before the draft start , why give up draft pick so early , some club might delist player they hope to redraft in rookie and GC can use pick 72 on them . GC is desperate but so are other club that need to refresh their list .
Eg Freo need to delist 10 players last year , and winning a match without fyfe and b.hill, Jones pick 70+ pick , Giro,banfield , Nyhuis as rookie pick against Adelaide . + Pick 2 Brayshaw and pick 5 Cerra.

Last edited:

Would think David Armitage would be gettable. Queenslander, would be decent with a good injury run

Live draft pick trading ,bring it on . This year second Rd for next year Second no problem . We got Two . Third round ? No problem we got two as well .Fridge players - do you want a second chance , no problems too we get you for junk pick 70+ .

Love all the spuds being offered up by accommodating opposition supporters. GC got a bunch of top 30 picks - here is Mav Weller or Paul Puopulo. They have traits that sound good in isolation... :drunk:

I'd let Sutcliffe go for a 2nd rounder. Can have Ballas and Spurr too for that valued on-field leadership. Pick ~20 and ~40 will do it for those 3, what a deal!

Love all the spuds being offered up by accommodating opposition supporters. GC got a bunch of top 30 picks - here is Mav Weller or Paul Puopulo. They have traits that sound good in isolation... :drunk:

I'd let Sutcliffe go for a 2nd rounder. Can have Ballas and Spurr too for that valued on-field leadership. Pick ~20 and ~40 will do it for those 3, what a deal!
You are like a sell man selling faulty product and try to entice the same customer again , only this time instead of keeping quiet about your faulty product you advertise it how bad it was.
Thanks for the Crozier pick though at least Ballard is playing better than Weller .

Last edited:
I think Rupert Wills would be a big bodied mid to target from us. Has had a good year in the VFL but can’t crack our midfield.

So you reckon some other club would go hard for a bloke because he can't break in to the 6th placed teams midfield?

Bid on Thomas at 5 and let North Match ,simple as that .Pick 18 on bailey Scott if he select North as Father and son .

That would go down well if the kid nominates North.

Mav Weller will be at GC next season, wont cost them a 2nd rounder though.

And to think Jack Darling had his bags packed for the Gold Coast before sliding to pick 26.

To be fair , every cub has made choices that can look a bit daft in retrospect. I know on the Geelong board plenty wanted Darling that year... same as when we passed Grundy over. And it has to be harder for expanding territories teams .. go back to earliest times of Brisbane they struggled to keep players..Buckley packed has bags after 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen him play?

They wouldn’t have to go hard at all, he would get a game in the 18th ranked midfield in the comp. They are woeful.

Yeah, but the whole idea is to bring together players that will make a side better than sixth.

Billings had 53 in the VFL last week.

Yeah, but the whole idea is to bring together players that will make a side better than sixth.

Billings had 53 in the VFL last week.
It’s going to take some time though. They need bigger bodies to help their younger midfielders. Much like Carlton. Wills provides that and he would be a cheap option.

It’s going to take some time though. They need bigger bodies to help their younger midfielders. Much like Carlton. Wills provides that and he would be a cheap option.
GC need more list spot to cover injuries , I don't think he is the solution , one player in a new team won't change anything .

Rupert wills an greenwood haha!! they have holman an wigg .brodie.who are better players then those two potatoes.

was it 2016 they won 10 games? hit the draft hard this year for mids. martin.achee.miller.weller will peak in two years time look out

Missed that early northern blues thumping or the many that followed

Looked so good ,walk into your afl team

Bu that ain't saying much

Missed that early northern blues thumping or the many that followed

Looked so good ,walk into your afl team

Bu that ain't saying much

num nuts i don't have a afl team i keep telling you that,keep up,or double the meds

I'll say again.a spud in the vfl who is no good is not gonna help the suns. even tony hinted at that yesterday.

Last edited:
I agree , even Bailey Fritsch or Luke Ryan v2 is a lot better than Fridge players , look at Young and Holman they got the heart but don't have the skill . If I got the choice I will send them to NeAfl and guide the young kids and give Scrimshaw and Brodie more time in AFL .

Live draft pick trading ,bring it on . This year second Rd for next year Second no problem . We got Two . Third round ? No problem we got two as well .Fridge players - do you want a second chance , no problems too we get you for junk pick 70+ .

Fridge players?

You mean, like Jed Lamb, Jack Frost and Sean Lemmens? :p

Guthrie for Nichols?
Not sure but think GC would have to add a pick upgrade too but surely Nichols better prospect going fwd than Stanley?

First thing first. GC get some assistance from the afl. Bigger list and Bigger Cap. Allow also 2-4 franchise players that have 50% discount on cap or perhaps a special cap just for FA's. Then attack 2-4 FA's , get them for no trade outs... and still add the kids you need.

Sloane Guthrie Gaff Wallis Liberatore Horlin Smith Whitecross Wright Morris Menzel Duryea... some for play now , some for leadership ... as long as it didn't affect a spot for a kid. There would probably be a few id be prepared to trade for as long as they are in their mid 20's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back