Review Good / Bad / Ugly vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies in advance for the thread digression:

Loved the Ship of Theseus/Who am I? discussion, thanks!
For my money, that ship ceased to be the Ship of Theseus after more than 50% of it had been replaced. After every bit has been replaced, it's absolutely not the same ship.
Ditto, The Hammer of Geoffa32 :D . In terms of ownership/possession, it's still your old man's hammer.
Head/handle replaced multiple times, it's not the same hammer.

(Similarly, the so-called paradox "If a tree falls in a forest and there's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?" is cleared up when we consider what 'sound' is:
--- if it's the compression of air waves that results in a human ear receiving that, so that a brain registers it as sound then no.
--- if a 'sound' is merely the change from kinetic energy to air compression as the tree falls and hits the ground, then yes.

Think of an astronaut working EVA in space --- where no one can hear you scream, hehe :eek: :D--- tapping on a space capsule. From the astronaut's pov, he does not hear it, but from the pov of anybody inside the capsule, they'd hear a sound because of the air in the capsule
(Google: " Sound is defined as vibrations that travel through the air or another medium as an audible mechanical wave. It is produced from a vibrating body. The vibrating body causes the medium (water, air, etc.) around it to vibrate thus producing sound. " <== on that definition, the falling tree makes a sound :oops:)

Yeah, I'm :drunk::drunk:. From lack of sleep.
As a mechanic and panel beater if - over time - you replace each panel and engine part of a 68 Monaro - is it an antique?

Good:

Putting my hard earned on whoever we play each week

Jones, McAsey, Hamill. Finally some kids to get excited about

Bad:

Anyone questioning Smith. This guy gives it all every week. He is a star

Although that you don't have voting rights (the only material point) and this hasnt changed, will everyone please stop criticising?

Please? It makes me very uncomfortable?
A lot of people see the lack of Board voting rights as a cause of issues at our club. A lack of accountability and giving the great unwashed the power to vote in the Board will be a cure all.

It was democracy that gave the world Trump as President of the USA. Democracy also elected Hitler.

These are Vic AFLclubs with member appointed Boards who are also poorly ran.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Commentators mentioned McAsey made numerous leads which were usually ignored.

Yup. The moment things went south a lot of our older players pretty much reverted to what they know, long bombs to the goal square.

Although that you don't have voting rights (the only material point) and this hasnt changed, will everyone please stop criticising?

Please? It makes me very uncomfortable?
😂

I swear, you make reading these boards worth it, maybe you could start a quick thread for us to read on the topic? Please?😂

A lot of people see the lack of Board voting rights as a cause of issues at our club. A lack of accountability and giving the great unwashed the power to vote in the Board will be a cure all.

It was democracy that gave the world Trump as President of the USA. Democracy also elected Hitler.

I'm not keen on our current model though, the AFL selecting the board and essentially maintaining power of board members their choice does annoy me, especially when it feels completely free of accountability and we don't know if our board act in the best interests of our club or the AFL.

To be fair you make a point, it could be worse, but we'll never know.

Commentators mentioned McAsey made numerous leads which were usually ignored.

I think we will have a better understanding of what is happening after this week. Having commentary done from interstate off a TV screen besides one boundary rider and very few supporters at the game it is a bit hard to get an idea of what is happening off the ball.

I'm not keen on our current model though, the AFL selecting the board and essentially maintaining power of board members their choice does annoy me, especially when it feels completely free of accountability and we don't know if our board act in the best interests of our club or the AFL.

Often feels like the latter, that’s for sure.

As a mechanic and panel beater if - over time - you replace each panel and engine part of a 68 Monaro - is it an antique?
Wikipedia: " A true antique is an item perceived as having value because of its aesthetic or historical significance, and often defined as at least 100 years old, although the term is often used loosely to describe any object that is old".
2020 - 1968 = 52 years so, no.
I don't want to call a car that's 52 years old an "antique", fearful of what that makes me, at >52 ;).

Also, if you replace each panel and engine part, it's not the car that rolled off the assembly line --- BUT --- it is a beast!
Monaro 1968HK.jpg

And yet all of the well run vic clubs are democratic. Go figure.

You should probably do some research into the 'democratic' systems that elected Trump and Hitler. As far as political analysis goes, this is drawing with the crayons stuck up your nose stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

😂

I swear, you make reading these boards worth it, maybe you could start a quick thread for us to read on the topic? Please?😂

If gifs don't do it for you, I'm sure emoji spam will.

You've been on this board a long time, and I'm not sure you've ever made a good point.

Some is "effort" but I'm getting the feeling it's structure and coaching. You couldn't really fault effort yesterday, or against Freo.
There's a difference between effort when the ball is in your immediate area, and proactive effort, to make space, or provide an option, or chase one more time.

There's effort (mostly) around the contest, but our run dried up when Smith got sat on after quarter time and no other senior player stepped up to provide any run and carry. Our F50 entries are putrid because we are not running to provide options to spread, so we just bomb it into congestion. Our effort around the contest stops us getting belted by more, but our lack of proactive effort stops us from getting close to winning.

I am for the Board being voted in by members.

But it won't fix everything.

What we need is a "White Knight".

Geelong had Frank Costa, Hawthorn Dunstall, Richmond Brandon Gale.

Someone who is passionate and has the means to make real positive change that leads to success.

Roo tried. He is just not smart enough.

And yet all of the well run vic clubs are democratic. Go figure.

You should probably do some research into the 'democratic' systems that elected Trump and Hitler. As far as political analysis goes, this is drawing with the crayons stuck up your nose stuff.
Members of an AFL club board are also heavily vetted, and factions exist.

Joe Public Crow member won't get a chance to run, even when we have voting rights.

See the post above for what I think

BTW WCE have a similar Board to us, with limited member representation.. Best ran club in the comp. Flags in every era of the AFL era and by far the richest.

Thinking the Board will run better due to accountability via elections to members is quite nieve.

Elected officials always act in the best interest of those who elected them ......right

Last edited:
Members of an AFL club board are also heavily vetted, and factions exist.

Joe Public Crow member won't get a chance to run, even when we have voting rights.

See the post above for what I think

BTW WCE have a similar Board to us, with limited member representation.. Best ran club in the comp. Flags in every era of the AFL era and by far the richest.

Thinking the Board will run better due to accountability via elections to members is quite nieve.

Elected officials always act in the best interest of those who elected them ......right

Voting rights to members will undoubtedly be a popularity contest more soo than anything else

If members could elect the entire board i have little doubt roo would be on the board the majority of members love him

It is irrelevant though until we repay the millions we owe

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a difference between effort when the ball is in your immediate area, and proactive effort, to make space, or provide an option, or chase one more time.

There's effort (mostly) around the contest, but our run dried up when Smith got sat on after quarter time and no other senior player stepped up to provide any run and carry. Our F50 entries are putrid because we are not running to provide options to spread, so we just bomb it into congestion. Our effort around the contest stops us getting belted by more, but our lack of proactive effort stops us from getting close to winning.

I agree. There's a difference between "effort" and "trying hard" too. Someone like Matt Crouch looks like he's trying hard by running to contests and looking busy. But his effort to actually create play is non-existent.

I think we have a lot of senior players who haven't bought in to Nicks' gamestyle and/or philosophies, or they're just not all on the same page yet. Either of those scenarios is a worry particularly when we have young players who seem to be grasping it.

In simple terms I think we've got a combination of poor coaching (look at the panel we have assembled!), less time to embed new drills and styles (very interrupted season) but ultimately senior players who know they're almost cooked/don't really care.

Kind of worrying to hear McPherson say they went into the game knowing how McGovern and Barass like to be given chances to jump and the ball and wanted to lower the eyes and hit targets.

Because we did that maybe twice and every other entry played right into their hands.
That's because we panic and or lack the structure and work ethic to actually give options.

Did anyone else notice that some time in the 2nd half smith had 8 kicks and 11 handballs.... that's a big issue imo. Who is he passing it to? If he is playing kid we need him to deliver the ball inside 50

He is just not smart enough.
He's a Thank-God-I'm-a-Country-Boy from Waikerie, ie from a lifestyle and Country footy background where mateship is everything. Who helps you out, when you're down and out? A mate. Who do you employ --- the best man for the job whom you don't really know? No, a mate.
Australian mateship's a great thing, but not necessarily when you're trying to help run a multi-million-dollar Corporation. Roo was a helluva player. I still remember even his early years with West Adelaide and Dangerfield reminded me of Roo when he started. I don't doubt that he loves the Club and means well, but his status as a player/ Brownlow Medal winner has given him more clout in the Club than he's earned. He's in a position well beyond his administrative ability; his "they can barrack for another Club" and "This is why they left" gaffes alone prove that.

(when Nicks was appointed, my head came up with a reason, jokingly:
Nicks --- *squeaky voice* --- "If I was Coach, I'd ramble/blah etc...."
Roo --- "I like the sound of that ..." :rolleyes: )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back