AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Already over the 'fairytale'. Garry Lyon has somehow made himself the centre of attention. Fair few players are far too arrogant.

They got it done. Those on the park and in the box (not you Troy) have every right to be arrogant. They've earned it.

Fairytale waiting list.
1. Stk 1966, 2. Car 1995, 3. Adl 1998, 4. NtM 1999, 5. Ess 2000, 6. Bri 2003, & 7. Por 2004.
This excludes Fre, GC & GWS who haven't yet tasted success and could jump the queue.
I consider Freo's drought to be since 1994. It is definitely not the same as the others, but they have still played since then without success.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Is it over yet
e77fbaae846d4d6540ef68d35b87f49b.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Between 2002-12 they finished 12th or lower in 9 years, but also traded in former high draft picks too

The dynasty was built off:
Pick 2 - Cotchin, HOF
Pick 3 - Martin, HOF
Pick 7 - Caddy, Traded in
Pick 9 - Prestia, Traded in
Pick 9 - Vlaustin
Pick 11 - Lynch, Traded in
Pick 12 - Ellis
Pick 13 - Riewoldt, HOF

As well as nailing other picks like Bolton, Broad, Grimes etc

Adelaide bottoming out for the first time in their history kind of scares me now, damit.

Iwish

XUS NEK
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Adelaide bottoming out for the first time in their history kind of scares me now, damit.
Sometimes bottoming out is needed.
Good luck to Melbourne but they stunk it up for years
Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Jackson top 5 picks
Salem top 10 and viney father son.
Too early to tell how the crows early picks will develop will know more in a couple of seasons

They’ve already blown a lot of picks in the past umpteen years (Milera, Lever, Gallucci, Fogarty, Jones, McAsey).

And still have a ton of pain to come — without Walker (32 in Apr), Smith (30 in Jan) and Seedsman’s (30 in Jan) resurgence from nowhere, they’d have been lucky to win 3 games this year. Sloane (32 in Mar) was big for them too.

We’ll never have a greater chance to retake our rightful hegemony in this city for the first time since 1991 than the past two seasons. But you know, stability, patience, remember 2012?, etc.

Already over the 'fairytale'. Garry Lyon has somehow made himself the centre of attention. Fair few players are far too arrogant.

I caught a bit of the Channel 9 footy show and they had a segment roasting Melbourne FC identities who had been baking the club for years (including shitpotting the current administration) and were now riding the bandwagon. I think Garry Lyon was top of the list.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
got the flag but man did they go through a decade of horrific nightmarish hopelessness to get there, but still take that over the hinkley era
Pock marked with missed opportunities, still maybe that's what you get when, in coming up to 10yrs as coach, you've never been exposed to

the pressure of coaching in the final year of a contract. There's always been the obscenely large safety net of next year where...

we're a gunna.

Watched the replay last night. Melbourne's gut running just broke the Dogs. Ed Langon's second half was brilliant but that effort in the last quarter to start the chain in the back pocket and then end it by marking in space in the forward pocket to go back and have a set shot was amazing. He did plenty of gut runing at Freo, but he would be Burgo's poster for pushing yourself.

Heard on SEN that the only other GF where 1 side has kicked 100 pts in one half was 1972 which I knew both sides kicked 150 pts,. Looked it up Carlton kicked 18.9 in the first half v Richmond in the 28 goals v 22 goals GF. Dees kicked 16.5, but 16.4 of that was after Bont kicked a goal and the score was 40 v 59. Dogs kicked 1.1 after that.

So bugger all people had experienced seeing what the Dees were able to do in a half of footy in a grand final.

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whateley made a decent suggestion this morning regarding the grand final venue being shared around the country...

Every fourth year the GF to be held in a location other than the MCG - in either Perth, Adelaide, Sydney or Brisbane - and to be held in the twilight timeslot (so in theory Perth's next GF would be in 16 years).

Would truly embrace the concept of a national comp but we know Melbourne is the centre of the Universe, so will never happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember the fanfare around this dream team?

ZvIclRvB.jpg

Well two of these blokes were instrumental in winning the dees the premiership this year...... we've hitched our wagon to the other bloke.
This was 2012, why does the photo look like it’s been taken with a potato?

ZvIclRvB.jpg

Well two of these blokes were instrumental in winning the dees the premiership this year...... we've hitched our wagon to the other bloke.

To be fair, Melbourne were a powerhouse around that time. Don't you remember where we were in 2012?

ZvIclRvB.jpg

And round 1, season 2022 starts in 171 days (plus 1 or 2 for our game), when we get to do this all over again.

Choco would have been one of a few people, if not the only one, on Melbourne's payroll who knew Norm Smith.

Fos would drive over for many VFL Grand Finals, take the boys over and struck up a great friendship with Norm, and it's why Port played many preseason and post season games against Melbourne. When Norm moved to South Melbourne, Port then played preseason games against South Melbourne. Its why there is footage of Fos playing against South Melbourne when he is about 45 in a preseason game. Its also where Big Bob heard the Swans' version of the Notre Dame fight song and decided to pinch it and use it for the Magpies.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can't deny his family have success, that's plain and simple.

Apparently Choco gave the Melbourne players an almighty spray at half time.

Seems to have done the trick.

Just for reference Richo if you are reading. That is what embracing expectations really means.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
This post is not meant to rub in any salt but it was great to see a Port Adelaide champion gets a mention as a key contributor to Melbourne's success. I hope the rest of the Williams family are happy for him.

Mark Williams: "What joy. Thanks for opportunity I’m so grateful to be part of another winning Grand Final #57longyears".

1632745218627.png

ZvIclRvB.jpg

And…. One of those guys used his role to get a senior coaching gig and wasn’t successful and sacked.

the other is a career trainer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back