Autopsy Great to get another win! Pies beat North by 54 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to make anything of the game, North are playing for picks..that much is clear. WHE and Blair relished the lack of opposition pressure at times.

Good sign for Buckley though, players still going hard.

Ball use was diabolical again.

Collingwood's 54-point victory was its largest winning margin for the season, and won every quarter against North Melbourne. Collingwood's defenders were able to have a marking and disposal buffet with relative ease & minimal pressure. Tom Langdon (29 disposals & 8 marks), Jack Crisp (27 disposals, 10 marks & 6 score involvements), Brayden Maynard (27 disposals & 6 marks), Matthew Scharenberg (27 disposals & 8 marks), Jeremy Howe (24 disposals, 9 marks & 1 goal) & Lynden Dunn (16 disposals & 8 marks) all thwarted each meaningful challenge & threat that North Melbourne provided to the Magpies. North Melbourne had 5 more Inside 50's than Collingwood (54-49), yet the Kangaroos made a meal of their forays; scoring a scarce 7 goals from their 22 scoring shots. Collingwood scored 31 times from their entries, for 16 goals. Because Collingwood's defence stood up, it allowed Adam Treloar (34 disposals, 5 Inside 50's & 9 score involvements and 1 goal), Taylor Adams (30 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 8 clearances, 9 tackles, 5 Inside 50's, 12 score involvements & 2 goals), Jordan De Goey (27 disposals, 10 marks, 9 score involvements and 1 goal) & Tom Phillips (27 disposals, 10 marks, and 1 goal) to get off the chain. Excellent support from Josh Thomas (18 disposals, 7 Inside 50's, 9 score involvements & 2 goals), Will Hoskin-Elliott (19 disposals, 10 marks, 5 tackles, 4 Inside 50's & 8 score involvements), Steele Sidebottom (26 disposals, 6 marks, 5 Inside 50's & 6 score involvements) & Brodie Grundy (18 disposals, 32 hit-outs, 9 score involvements & 1 goal) gave the team adequate supply for Collingwood's forwards to press the attack. Jarryd Blair (16 disposals, 5 tackles & 3 goals) had the most majors for the Magpies, while Jamie Elliott, (19 disposals, 7 marks & 1 goal) & Darcy Moore (15 disposals, 8 marks, 7 score involvements & one goal) were wasteful, yet very productive performers. Fasolo was quiet, yet he still had a sound opening in the first term with a nice goal & contested mark in his 99th game. Looking forward to your 100th game in Adelaide against the Power, Alex Fasolo. Wells was extremely sore and below par, yet he was able to score a goal against his former club for the first time. Next game is in South Australia, on August 13, against Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval. I'll be making an incursion on the Portress, as Collingwood will attempt to win for the first time at the Adelaide Oval.

Iwh

What did he say VP, I know he was supporting Bucks, would love to find a link to it or if you could tell us what he said. Love Treloar

It was more what didn't he say! TBH I tuned out after a while, but what I did hear (at rapid fire pace) was a detailed summary of the match. He may have said something about Bucks, but I'd stopped listening!

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but probably the biggest news out of last night's game would have to be Darcy's dark rinse. Vicky Park over to you.

Hmm. I've commented on this elsewhere. Not sure what Darcy is on about. A desperate attempt to look more mature, more statesman like? Or is he going all 'goth' on us. If the latter, it would go hand in hand with his (reputed) veganism. Tut tut.

It was more what didn't he say! TBH I tuned out after a while, but what I did hear (at rapid fire pace) was a detailed summary of the match. He may have said something about Bucks, but I'd stopped listening!
But in all honesty would rather listen to our man Ads than the selwood loving ginger haired sniper Cameron ling. Love listening to him, anything in the media, sports galore on ctv, he is brilliant speaker as he is a brilliant player

No doubt this game was played at a low level but we still got the job done, and by that I mean win by 10 goals as we were facing a bottom 2 team playing their youth. First time all year we've clearly put away a team as our average winning margin was 18 points before this.

The level was probably a reflection of the weaknesses in the coaches box. It was certainly strange that the first quarter was a tight high pressure contested game and beyond that it turned into a loose open game with lots of space to work with - something that clearly suits our game plan more than North's. The behind count exacerbated that impression of an error fest but to be fair past quarter time we kicked 14.8 which is ok. Interestingly and in line with the Crows game we saw a lot more run and carry, a lot more overlap handballs and movement in our midfield than we've seen prior in the season and our ball movement looked better. Why we had to wait until the season was over to make these adjustments I don't know.

Regardless of the opposition one big positive is that in the continuation of last week's game, our group of under 25s really stepped up. Because the structures in the game were poor, it all came down to the individuals and ours stepped up. Outside of Howe all of our top performers came from that group with all of the following players having good to great games: Treloar, Adams, De Goey, Phillips, Maynard, Langdon, Scharenberg, Crisp, Grundy, Thomas and WHE. The 'oldies' didn't have a great impact either through form or injuries. It shows our list really has something to work with despite the gaps.

Treloar was BOG capping off a great 4 weeks for him after his mid season slump. Not only did he dominate in the midfield battle but he had direct scoreboard impact with his great goal and 3 assists.

Similarly Adams after average or below average games between R12-16 has fully regained his early season form and dominating inside while providing a lot of positives in ball movement which is a new strength for him in his game. Still in our top 3 performers across the season despite the heavy criticism he copped.

Without going into detail on everyone all of the younger guys had good games and played to their strengths. Maynard still our top player in meters gained and this time enjoying playing deep (there's still hope for him to become a HB/winger rather than wing/forward), Phillips really involved and damaging, De Goey back to a top performance and hopefully the inconsistencies will be gone by next season, WHE finding his best form since R3 and doing well on a wing, Thomas another strong performance as a role player (linking the midfield and forward which we've been really poor at all season) and Langdon-Scharenberg playing a similar role but playing it well (still question marks for me as to whether that defensive mix works against stronger forward lines).

Finally while it wasn't his best game of the year I think Sidebottom deserves more recognition than he's been getting. This week he cleared the way to give more inside time to others by playing primarily on a wing (only 2 CPs vs 18 last week shows he knows how to play both roles) and his leadership on field looked positive with him quite vocal. Stepping up in Pendles' absence and since mid way through the season he's been our most consistent top performing mid.

I feel like I'm on repeat every week but with Greenwood and Wells out this is our opportunity to build on that promising core group of under 25s by bringing two of Aish, Broomhead, Kirby, Daicos and/or Brown next week. That should be our objective for the rest of the season, I don't get why it hasn't been communicated to the coaches by someone like Walsh. We're not making finals even if it's mathematically possible, that ship has sailed so unless Bucks has been told he's staying if he wins all the remaining games (which would be incredibly stupid) I don't see why we're not bringing in players who deserve to play to help them identify the next step forward and inform our off season.

Adams has been kicking some goals since Pendlebury went down.

Hmm. I've commented on this elsewhere. Not sure what Darcy is on about. A desperate attempt to look more mature, more statesman like? Or is he going all 'goth' on us. If the latter, it would go hand in hand with his (reputed) veganism. Tut tut.

His old man was a blonde bombshell.

Hes being a rebel.

No doubt this game was played at a low level but we still got the job done, and by that I mean win by 10 goals as we were facing a bottom 2 team playing their youth. First time all year we've clearly put away a team as our average winning margin was 18 points before this.

The level was probably a reflection of the weaknesses in the coaches box. It was certainly strange that the first quarter was a tight high pressure contested game and beyond that it turned into a loose open game with lots of space to work with - something that clearly suits our game plan more than North's. The behind count exacerbated that impression of an error fest but to be fair past quarter time we kicked 14.8 which is ok. Interestingly and in line with the Crows game we saw a lot more run and carry, a lot more overlap handballs and movement in our midfield than we've seen prior in the season and our ball movement looked better. Why we had to wait until the season was over to make these adjustments I don't know.

Regardless of the opposition one big positive is that in the continuation of last week's game, our group of under 25s really stepped up. Because the structures in the game were poor, it all came down to the individuals and ours stepped up. Outside of Howe all of our top performers came from that group with all of the following players having good to great games: Treloar, Adams, De Goey, Phillips, Maynard, Langdon, Scharenberg, Crisp, Grundy, Thomas and WHE. The 'oldies' didn't have a great impact either through form or injuries. It shows our list really has something to work with despite the gaps.

Treloar was BOG capping off a great 4 weeks for him after his mid season slump. Not only did he dominate in the midfield battle but he had direct scoreboard impact with his great goal and 3 assists.

Similarly Adams after average or below average games between R12-16 has fully regained his early season form and dominating inside while providing a lot of positives in ball movement which is a new strength for him in his game. Still in our top 3 performers across the season despite the heavy criticism he copped.

Without going into detail on everyone all of the younger guys had good games and played to their strengths. Maynard still our top player in meters gained and this time enjoying playing deep (there's still hope for him to become a HB/winger rather than wing/forward), Phillips really involved and damaging, De Goey back to a top performance and hopefully the inconsistencies will be gone by next season, WHE finding his best form since R3 and doing well on a wing, Thomas another strong performance as a role player (linking the midfield and forward which we've been really poor at all season) and Langdon-Scharenberg playing a similar role but playing it well (still question marks for me as to whether that defensive mix works against stronger forward lines).

Finally while it wasn't his best game of the year I think Sidebottom deserves more recognition than he's been getting. This week he cleared the way to give more inside time to others by playing primarily on a wing (only 2 CPs vs 18 last week shows he knows how to play both roles) and his leadership on field looked positive with him quite vocal. Stepping up in Pendles' absence and since mid way through the season he's been our most consistent top performing mid.

I feel like I'm on repeat every week but with Greenwood and Wells out this is our opportunity to build on that promising core group of under 25s by bringing two of Aish, Broomhead, Kirby, Daicos and/or Brown next week. That should be our objective for the rest of the season, I don't get why it hasn't been communicated to the coaches by someone like Walsh. We're not making finals even if it's mathematically possible, that ship has sailed so unless Bucks has been told he's staying if he wins all the remaining games (which would be incredibly stupid) I don't see why we're not bringing in players who deserve to play to help them identify the next step forward and inform our off season.
Excellent post

What a Shocking Game of Footy. Skills where Terrible but I could not Believe how bad skills North have. Worse then us and I thought I have not seen that for a Long Time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win by the boys but Our skills have been terrible for a while now is this the coaches fault or poor recruiting??

It's laughable how GameDay decides to do a live cross to a reporter at the hospital to comment on Ben Brown. Have they done that any other time this year for any other player of any other club? Yeah nah.

The Media trying to get Suspended for long as Possible

Yeah. Not sure why he Dyrd his Hair

I thought it accentuated his high cheek bones and square jaw. Thought he looked quite debonaire. Got the big tick of approval from the Gimp too.

the only rinse repeat will be the ill informed suggestions on this board , the constant bagging of kids and the sheep style behavior of those willing to swallow the msm opinion pieces desinged to unstable the club.
Me im stoked with the our improvement , i have faith in whats comming up and most of all i see VAST improvement in our game plan and the way we execute it.
Continuity we have not had notice things are better when we get some.
Scott as coach
hahaha
Wait....

you do realise that the general consensus across mainstream media is that Nathan Buckley deserves a contract extension, and yet you label that as 'unstabling'.
And no-one on this board wants Brad Scott as coach.

Most bizarre post of 2017 goes to.......

Hard to make anything of the game, North are playing for picks..that much is clear. WHE and Blair relished the lack of opposition pressure at times.

Good sign for Buckley though, players still going hard.

Ball use was diabolical again.

So why did they beat Melbourne last week?

North are rebuilding and have too many players under ten games to trouble most sides. They also lost Brown relatively early in the game.

Thought that 33,000 wasn't a bad crowd given that North supporters hardly turn up.

Don't believe that North are 'tanking', never thought that they were any good to begin with.

Interesting to read about the affect the ground may have had on the Brown injury.

It's laughable how GameDay decides to do a live cross to a reporter at the hospital to comment on Ben Brown. Have they done that any other time this year for any other player of any other club? Yeah nah.

He makes news because he will be in black and white next year. Grundy gave him a big Magpie bear hug welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back