Greatest Dynasty of the 21st century - Lions vs Cats vs Hawks vs Tigers

Which dynasty is the greatest?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as the Cats were, they were also gettable.

2007 - Beat us by 5 points in The Prelim
2008 - Rolled
2009 - Sainters did get the jitters in that opening half. 7.7 at half time to 7.1. All to play for with a minute to go.
2010 - We Humiliated them.
2011 - An amazing side. Hawks, Eagles, Us, all got destroyed. Levels above.
Hawthorn also had close prelims.
Adelaide, Port and us in prelims by less than a kick so your 2007 argument doesn’t really stand up.
Port in the 2014 prelim literally had 10 more shots on goal than Hawthorn.

Last edited:
We lost Rance and still won 2 flags. If you want to take away Dusty as well, then off course you’ll drop away quick. Take GAJ/Scarlett, Buddy/Hodge, Voss/Leppitsch out and they aren’t winning 3 either. Many of their games were won by the skin of their teeth.

But shows how good Dusty is tbh, more influential than anybody else in these teams.

Rance is a defender, so if your midfield was on top - you could still easily win without him.

Dusty is a 1 in a million. Three norm smiths says it all. its not much of an insult, as Dusty WAS on our team. We played a style that worked around him being there. Thats what teams are. He was part of the team, so therefore his included in all the success. But i don't think there is much any of us could argue against that fact, if the sliding doors moment was we drafted someone else, i struggle to see 2017 happening - and without that, the boom in confidence doesn't happen. Belief is a hell of a drug.

But ultimately..... who cares! we did have him. we won 3/4 & im confident that if he was not at 50% against the pies in 2018 we would have won that too. With Astbury & others seriously under the weather & the club mismanaging his corkie, the side just looked to have lost a hell of a lot of belief that night.

Winning flags is 3 parts careful planning & 1 part circumstance. I think you could replay the 2016 season 10 times over for example & the Dogs would only win it once. I think between 2017-2020 we could have won all 4 more times than not. We were that good in the clinical moments, every time - but that one lousy game. And a huge part of that was Dusty & the confidence he gave everyone when he was 100%. It was like a cheat code, like having a hulk in your super hero team.

Gonna go watch some finals replays now, insomnia kicking in - time to find a happy place

Hawthorn also had close prelims.
Adelaide, Port and us in prelims by less than a kick so your 2007 argument doesn’t really stand up.
Port in the 2014 prelim literally had 10 more shots on goal than Hawthorn.

Close prelims meaning nothing. Prelims are almost always close & winning close games is the difference between being good and greatness IMO.

Big wins in premlims are rarely because the better team was "that good" and genuinely because the other team were not that great. ie Richmond 2001 against the Lions, Nth in 2007 against Port , etc

Just when I thought you were a rare, balanced Richmond supporting poster, you go and say this...

We were the best team in 2017,2019 and 2020. We beat you guys 2 times in the 2018 season so if we were fully fit I’d back us again.

Considering we play the MCG better than you and you choked against WCE I think we could’ve taken them too even though they beat us at their home ground during the season.

What is he saying that’s unreasonable? He’s a very balanced Richmond supporter and again you have a problem. Maybe look at yourself for a change.

We were the best team in 2017,2019 and 2020. We beat you guys 2 times in the 2018 season so if we were fully fit I’d back us again.

Considering we play the MCG better than you and you choked against WCE I think we could’ve taken them too even though they beat us at their home ground during the season.

What is he saying that’s unreasonable? He’s a very balanced Richmond supporter and again you have a problem. Maybe look at yourself for a change.
The best team in your 3 flag years, despite finishing 3rd on the ladder?

Despite losing a Qualifying Final to Brisbane in 2020, and getting over the line in the Preliminary Final by a kick?

Don't underestimate the momentum change in the 2017 Preliminary Final when Cotchin took out Shiel. And how he didn't miss the Grand Final for that is still a mystery.

Teams need a lot to go right throughout the finals series to win a flag. Even the BEST teams at the start of a finals series are no better than even money odds to win the flag.

So say Richmond were even money at the start of each of their finals campaigns (which they weren't), par is two flags.

Twice Richmond had to basically go undefeated for the back half of the season to even make top 4.

For mine, play those seasons over again, and Richmond win 1, or at most 2 flags. Benefiting from the weakest era I have seen since I started watching the game.

So to say Richmond would win ALL 4 FLAGS more often than not if those finals series were played over again is indeed unreasonable and quite deluded.

The best team in your 3 flag years, despite finishing 3rd on the ladder?

Despite losing a Qualifying Final to Brisbane in 2020, and getting over the line in the Preliminary Final by a kick?

Don't underestimate the momentum change in the 2017 Preliminary Final when Cotchin took out Shiel. And how he didn't miss the Grand Final for that is still a mystery.

Teams need a lot to go right throughout the finals series to win a flag. Even the BEST teams at the start of a finals series are no better than even money odds to win the flag.

So say Richmond were even money at the start of each of their finals campaigns (which they weren't), par is two flags.

Twice Richmond had to basically go undefeated for the back half of the season to even make top 4.

For mine, play those seasons over again, and Richmond win 1, or at most 2 flags. Benefiting from the weakest era I have seen since I started watching the game.

So to say Richmond would win ALL 4 FLAGS more often than not if those finals series were played over again is indeed unreasonable and quite deluded.

Yes. Because finals exist and H&A is just a qualifier. If we could do it from 3rd we could do it from 1st and 2nd. This is why I mentioned how important playing at the MCG is and as you well know and have acknowledged we are the best MCG team in the history of the game as per the win streak record. So have a sook.

And I’m not taking a progressional gamblers word on these things. You probably lost a heap of money betting against us from the sounds of it. Maybe that’s why you’re salty af with us.

This is why I mentioned how important playing at the MCG is and as you well know and have acknowledged we are the best MCG team in the history of the game as per the win streak record.
I've never acknowledged 'Richmond are the best MCG team' - you're making shite up again. As I've said earlier, your streak didn't help you on Preliminary Final night in 2018.
You probably lost a heap of money betting against us from the sounds of it. Maybe that’s why you’re salty af with us.
I've previously said I was extremely happy with Richmond breaking their flag drought in 2017, to the point I wore a Richmond guernsey whilst holidaying with Richmond supporting friends during the later stages of the finals series.

When's the last time you cheered on Collingwood during a finals series, let alone wore a Collingwood guernsey?

Salty af? I don't think so.

I just live in reality.

I think I have found the thread with the biggest amount of irrelevant bullshit on BigFooty and that’s saying something. How are Richmond even in the conversation?? Anyway I will take watching my team win 3 in a row and losing a fourth, no thanks to the vfl I mean- AFL. Brisbane only winning the poll because other supporters hate Rich, Geelong and Hawks right? Well if they didn’t before hand they will after reading this thread😂

I've never acknowledged 'Richmond are the best MCG team' - you're making shite up again. As I've said earlier, your streak didn't help you on Preliminary Final night in 2018.

I've previously said I was extremely happy with Richmond breaking their flag drought in 2017, to the point I wore a Richmond guernsey whilst holidaying with Richmond supporting friends during the later stages of the finals series.

When's the last time you cheered on Collingwood during a finals series, let alone wore a Collingwood guernsey?

I just live in reality.

Cmon mate, you were fine with the first flag and then didn’t want us dominating to much. It’s tall poppy syndrome and happens with everybody. I have no doubt in my mind you wanted GWS and Geelong to beat us in the granny’s. Stop trying to be impartial you clearly aren’t especially since you lost money.

Cmon mate, you were fine with the first flag and then didn’t want us dominating to much. It’s tall poppy syndrome and happens with everybody. I have no doubt in my mind you wanted GWS and Geelong to beat us in the granny’s. Stop trying to be impartial you clearly aren’t especially since you lost money.
Richmond are tall poppies?

That's hilarious.

Back to my question...last time you've worn a Pies guernsey?

I just live in reality.

Why would a neutral supporter ever wear a Collingwood jumper?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are tall poppies?

That's hilarious.

Back to my question...last time you've worn a Pies guernsey?

2023 with my relatives as they are pies supporters.

But you didn’t answer my question. Did you want us to beat GWS and Geelong?

2023 with my relatives as they are pies supporters.
Yeah, right...

But you didn’t answer my question. Did you want us to beat GWS and Geelong?
Didn't particularly care for the result in either Grand Final. No vested interest on the rare occasion that Collingwood aren't playing on the last Saturday in September.

Yeah, right...

Didn't particularly care for the result in either Grand Final. No vested interest on the rare occasion that Collingwood aren't playing on the last Saturday in September.

God you’re full of it. I only mentioned Dustys name on the other thread and you foamed at the mouth. Spineless.

And yeah I did go for the pies they are almost my second team, it’s only you I have a problem with.

Tigers had won just 2 x finals in the 35-years prior to their dynasty. Not sure how often that sort of turnaround from diabolical on-field laughing stock to dynasty would have been achieved in world sport? For that reason Tigers #1.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tigers had won just 2 x finals in the 35-years prior to their dynasty. Not sure how often that sort of turnaround from diabolical on-field laughing stock to dynasty would have been achieved in world sport? For that reason Tigers #1.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You don’t get extra points for being crap. But it is laudable how well they turned things around.

it’s a hard comparison to make given the relative factors involved but literally in this thread you’ve got a side being compared to them in the Lions that was borne out of two absolute disasters in Fitzroy and Brisbane.

Ok yes it was a merger so you do have the ‘two clubs’ aspect so that has to be considered.

Fitzroy hadn’t won anything in 70 years or whatever it was and their last taste of anything close to being competitive was 20 years prior. Brisbane was a total laughing stock for most of their existence with brief peak just before the merger.

Their rise to the top didn’t come as ‘out of nowhere’ as Richmond’s, definitely not arguing that, but it did come from a history of failure and, well, poverty, for want of a better term.

At some point the Tigers HAD to turn things around being a powerful club. The Lions had made a good job of their merger and built a good young side but as a team in a league state and with no real ‘power’ there was no guarantee of it leading to anything. I think both turnarounds are pretty outstanding in their own way, one was probably a lot more sudden than the other though.

I couldn’t care less that people rate Richmond last. I’m pretty chuffed that they are even in the conversation. It’s pretty good company to be in.

It’s hard enough to win one flag let alone multiple ones in a short period of time. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

If your team is lucky enough to win a premiership, really soak it all in because you never know when it’s going to happen again. Could be ages, I know this from experience.

Back