Traded Greg Broughton and Pick 60 to GC for Pick 37

Remove this Banner Ad

People on Bigfooty need to stop evaluating trades based on DT performances. Broughton played himself out of the defence and midfield this year and was lucky not to be dropped before injuring his finger. He is good at reading the play, but his kicking is average at best. He is not best 22 for Freo, but will be for the Suns (although with their inexperience, it is hard not to be). I like the deal for pick 37. He isn't worth more than that. Some Freo fans are deluded if they thought he was worth a first rounder or an upgrade on that. He just isn't anywhere near that level.

I'm certainly not evauating Broughton on Dreamteam stats. I'm evaluating him on the fact that he has kept Stevie J quiet on more than on occasion. He has also been effective in more than one position on the ground. He was a strong contributor (second in B&F 2011?) when the team struggled which to me indicates he has a massive ticker. I have seen him rarely beaton in one on one battles. I rate him for his football, not his dreamteam points.

Alex "I didn't have a pre-season and was injured most of the season" Forster?
I don't doubt he had an interrupted run but he played from round 11 onwards and was simply no good - at WAFL reserves level.

MASSIVE improvement required. I don't think it's reasonable to expect such dramatic improvement in him at this stage to basically pencil him in for a best 18 position.

I don't think anyone is denying that, and similarly nobody is claiming Forster will walk into the starting 18 come Round 1 next year. But he did miss the first half of the year after hip surgery, he was always going to be playing catch up. I've seen enough of him over the years to be fairly confident of him making those improvements, and challenging for a spot in the back 6.

I've said it on the Fremantle board, but I would consider Broughton and Jordan Russell to essentially be equals. Yet, Russell would have been delisted if a team didn't trade for him. And without knowing what the deal was, I daresay it was less than pick 37. So I don't think Fremantle did too badly, given there has never been a market for medium defenders.

I'm certainly not evauating Broughton on Dreamteam stats. I'm evaluating him on the fact that he has kept Stevie J quiet on more than on occasion. He has also been effective in more than one position on the ground. He was a strong contributor (second in B&F 2011?) when the team struggled which to me indicates he has a massive ticker. I have seen him rarely beaton in one on one battles. I rate him for his football, not his dreamteam points.

I agree.

Im hoping there is more to this trade. On face value, as it stands now, it's an ordinary trade IMO.
For an offer of pick 37 I would have preferred to keep him for next season. If he wanted to walk next season then so be it but we probably would have received a pick around that mark at least anyway.
If he isn't rated best 22 then he can't be far off it and we still require quality depth.
I'll be interested to hear what Bond says later on this.

Well, great work by Gold Coast. Broughton is the type of tough nut that will give the younger developing players at that club some "body on the line" examples to follow. A great get.

2010 Doig Medal
1. David Mundy 190 votes
2. Aaron Sandilands 171
3. Matthew Pavlich 160
4. Stephen Hill 137
5. Greg Broughton 116
6. Hayden Ballantyne 103
7. Michael Barlow 97
8. Luke McPharlin 80
9. Roger Hayden 78
10. Chris Tarrant 76

2011 Doig Medal
1. Matthew Pavlich 144 votes
2. Nathan Fyfe 141
3. Greg Broughton 118
4. Luke McPharlin 108
5. David Mundy 102
6. Aaron Sandilands 98
7. Stephen Hill 94
8. Antoni Grover 88
9. Hayden Ballantyne 83
10. Chris Mayne 72

2012 - Injuries ruined his season.

Now, some people on our board like to think the above is meaningless. I'll just post it, and you can make of it what you want.

I hope he rips us a new one when we play GC.
All the best G.Bro!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great get by the Suns. :thumbsu:

I wonder who they are freeing cap space for? Any superstar West Australians available for free agency next year?

Great get by the Suns. :thumbsu:

I wonder who they are freeing cap space for? Any superstar West Australians available for free agency next year?

Not sure if you are being serious, but one L. Franklin becomes a free agent next year and if this status remains, it is fair to say we will have some $ to throw at him.......although he likes the Melbourne lifestyle too much by all reports!

Seems like they wanted to trade one of Duffield or Broughts, good get by Suns, very nice player.

He was comfortably passed by a first year rookie in Spurr in the backline and then Pearce pushed him out of the midfield. I think you're being generous saying he was one of our best players week after week. People just seem to read the stats and not care about what he actually did.
Spurr is a bordeline spud, nice post trade tough talking.

Disappointed to lose Broughton and the pick we got - he has been very good in recent years. He did suffer from broken finger mid year and slight back problems. He was on backended contract and this and many other things will free up massive cap space for Freo for next years FA (far more than we had for MC). There was a rumour that he was told to pull his finger out, didn't buy-in fully, and thus mid year result ;) but he is a great pick up for GC and far better to them than another team vying for top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back