Traded Harley Balic [traded to Melbourne] [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do Freo do this to themselves? Nothing wrong with drafting kids who are happy to leave home to pursue football, but from what i understand Balic made it clear pre draft he didn't want to leave Victoria and they still took him.

Why do Freo do this to themselves? Nothing wrong with drafting kids who are happy to leave home to pursue football, but from what i understand Balic made it clear pre draft he didn't want to leave Victoria and they still took him.
If there was no WA kids worth taking with that pick they take them and at least have some currency to trade back to VIC in 2 years.
Thats my view anyway

By all reports he was just too good to pass up at that pick. We have a pretty good player retention rate, the club would have backed themselves in to sell themselves but obviously not well enough. I think he's going to be a 150+ game player so i'm spewing we'll get a bag of dicks for him.

Last edited:
By all reports he was just too good to pass up at that pick. We have a pretty good player retention rate, the club would have backed themselves in to sell themselves but obviously not well enough. I think he's going to be a 150+ game player so i'm spewing we'll get a bag of dicks for him.
Fair enough, there are some kids that are hell bent on staying home and that won't be changed. I guess as a club with less home grown players to pick from generally you'd have to back yourselves in. You've done well with most Victorians.

The hawks could get themselves a real bargain here. Presuming he picks the hawks, much like Hill to us, it should be pretty straightforward/no fuss trade.
Yeah, I think so too.

Him and Dylan Roberton are the only two of the 30-40 odd interstate players I can think of that we've drafted in the last 10 years that wanted to go home. And Roberton only left cos his partner wanted to move after she got knocked up, he was actually happy to stay

Crozier, Langdon and Weller for example were all considered high flight risks, all happy to commit once they got over. Crozier's mum can be heard bursting into tears at the draft broadcast when Freo read out his name. We just got unlucky this time

I recall this as well.

Considering where he slid to & his pre injury expected draft position of a top 10-20 player they had to try.

I'm sure if Freo didn't take him at that point he would have gone within the next handful of picks anyway.

I certainly have my fingers crossed he nominates the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope im wrong but he seems to have a lot of skill but does he have the mental side of his game right to make it?
He does seem to have a lot of football tallent but that will only take him so far.

There will be some commonalities with the McCarthy situation here I think. Cam was traded for the equivalent of pick 72, but that’s a notional value in points and not all points are equal. If that was the actual value then GWS would have just accept our 4th round pick. Instead it was pick swaps aimed at more of a win win. Freo accept more risk by dropping down the draft order but gained 2 players, GWS reduced risk and lost a player.

So it will be with Balic. The notional value the trade will probably be low in points (somewhere in the third round) but will actually involve pick upgrades which will be worth more to Freo than the points (having no second round pick at this time) and will net the Victorian club a player with a reasonable likelihood of developing into an AFL quality inside midfielder. Certainly a greater likelihood of a player than if they had actually used the pick.

There will be some commonalities with the McCarthy situation here I think. Cam was traded for the equivalent of pick 72, but that’s a notional value in points and not all points are equal. If that was the actual value then GWS would have just accept our 4th round pick. Instead it was pick swaps aimed at more of a win win. Freo accept more risk by dropping down the draft order but gained 2 players, GWS reduced risk and lost a player.

So it will be with Balic. The notional value the trade will probably be low in points (somewhere in the third round) but will actually involve pick upgrades which will be worth more to Freo than the points (having no second round pick at this time) and will net the Victorian club a player with a reasonable likelihood of developing into an AFL quality inside midfielder. Certainly a greater likelihood of a player than if they had actually used the pick.
When it comes to Balic's situation - a question for all? Can Fremantle offer him a new contract that then gives them currency to trade him alomot immediately given another club would pick up the contract in exchange for offering a pick?

Still reckon initial draftee contracts should be four years for exactly this reason - make the kids actually think about signing up for a National Draft, instead of just going "yeah, I can piss off for two years and then come back".
Just introduce trading without the player's approval - until they are restricted free agents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back