Traded Harley Balic [traded to Melbourne] [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Also out of contract. TBH doing a bit of a McCarthy the way he's being granted leave a few times and sitting out games etc due to his home sickness.

Pick 38 originally...i'd be surprised if Freo received anything of significance probably a 4th rounder at best.
happy to get pick 70 at this rate

When it comes to Balic's situation - a question for all? Can Fremantle offer him a new contract that then gives them currency to trade him alomot immediately given another club would pick up the contract in exchange for offering a pick?

I believe he can only sign with a club as a delisted free agent if Fremantle do not offer him a contract.

Michael Barlow a prime example last year, Freo tried to trade him but clubs there probably wasn't a lot of interest / need to trade. Freo were never going to contract him so they knew he was available as a DFA.

If Freo offer him a contract he either has to agree to a trade or head back into the draft.

Why would Balic do that?
two reasons - it can work in the players favour if he knows the club will trade him because he could be offered a better contract and second in his quality as a person in that Fremantle stood by him in the sustained effort of wrist surjery and rehab - about 12 months and not without complications - Freo have done good by him and it would show his character to any new club - his commitment and loyalty. Not to be likened with Mc Carthy and GWS trade though - a trade was always possible but Mc Carthy chose to stand out the year when GWS refused to negotiate.

two reasons - it can work in the players favour if he knows the club will trade him because he could be offered a better contract and second in his quality as a person in that Fremantle stood by him in the sustained effort of wrist surjery and rehab - about 12 months and not without complications - Freo have done good by him and it would show his character to any new club - his commitment and loyalty. Not to be likened with Mc Carthy and GWS trade though - a trade was always possible but Mc Carthy chose to stand out the year when GWS refused to negotiate.
Lol.

And then if a trade doesn't happen? Balic is stuck at freo and freo are left with a player that doesn't want to be there.

two reasons - it can work in the players favour if he knows the club will trade him because he could be offered a better contract and second in his quality as a person in that Fremantle stood by him in the sustained effort of wrist surjery and rehab - about 12 months and not without complications - Freo have done good by him and it would show his character to any new club - his commitment and loyalty.

A club can't offer a guarantee of being traded as part of re-signing a player because entitlements like that are outside the salary cap. If Balic re-signs under this theory he's putting himself at the mercy of Fremantle.

Not to be likened with Mc Carthy and GWS trade though - a trade was always possible but Mc Carthy chose to stand out the year when GWS refused to negotiate.

McCarthy came back to GWS and started pre-season training, so it's not like he chose to sit out due to that failure otherwise he just wouldn't have come back at all. It was the away-from-home bit that did him in again.

A direct quote from players from his junior club when asked early in the season 2016 by a parent of another afl player "How's harley liking WA", the answer was "he hates it". There's no homesickness involved, its like Marchbank for us, never wanted to be there.

Same for us and Nankervis. He was gone before he even walked through the door

Lol.

And then if a trade doesn't happen? Balic is stuck at freo and freo are left with a player that doesn't want to be there.
Yes but it inevitably gets down to what Balic thinks hes worth and would play for - is his choice - Im suggesting his value could be increased when he has in in place contract say worth 150,000 over 2 years that another club then would possibly offer him 200,000 over two or three. Highly unlikely scenerio i know.

Lol.

He would'nt be stuck at Freo if no other club matched or offered more because he would stay in Victoria. My point was only based on a good will arrangement between Freo and Balic that serves the interests of both but would mean he had to play there if no other club would match or offer a better contract. Highly unlikely any club will offer him a substantial contract unless he has some bargaining power I would think.

He'd be a fantastic get for hawthorn with their lack of high picks in this years draft. He's effectively a 1st round pick, for probably pick 60-70. Exactly the money ball move they are known for. Gutted to lose him if he leaves though.

Given the sweet deal you got for Brad Hill you would expect a gentlemans hand shake agreement on this one.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd be a fantastic get for hawthorn with their lack of high picks in this years draft. He's effectively a 1st round pick, for probably pick 60-70. Exactly the money ball move they are known for. Gutted to lose him if he leaves though.
Why is he effectively a 1st round pick?

Why is he effectively a 1st round pick?

I believe he may be alluding to opinion he was rated a 1st round pick before drifting due to wrist injury.

My only query on him is Clarko's appetite for a player that has taken 2 breaks for personal reasons.

I believe he may be alluding to opinion he was rated a 1st round pick before drifting due to wrist injury.

My only query on him is Clarko's appetite for a player that has taken 2 breaks for personal reasons.

I think there would be an element of mental health and an acceptance that it is a very real.
Get the kid home, get him focused.
Easily as good a pick up as a ready made top 20 pick in the draft

Didn't stop you guys from going for Dayle Garlett. Risk equals reward. The kid can play and would get a gig at the hawks for a third to forth round pick. That is worth the risk, he should be fine once he gets back to Melbourne with family

Didn't stop you guys from going for Dayle Garlett. Risk equals reward. The kid can play and would get a gig at the hawks for a third to forth round pick. That is worth the risk, he should be fine once he gets back to Melbourne with family
As you pointed out Balic home to Vic, Garlett was a WA boy. I'd love him to be at the brown & gold

Much different scenario now
When we picked Garlett, we were the dominant side in the AFL, and our draft picks weren't expected to see senior game time in their first year or 2
Now, we are rebuilding our list, and can't afford to take risks
Not sure Balic is a risk or not (know nothing about him), but if he is, then I'm not sure we can take the chance

Much different scenario now
When we picked Garlett, we were the dominant side in the AFL, and our draft picks weren't expected to see senior game time in their first year or 2
Now, we are rebuilding our list, and can't afford to take risks
Not sure Balic is a risk or not (know nothing about him), but if he is, then I'm not sure we can take the chance
Doubt you would have to give up much. It's hard for us to get value for a Vic boy going home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back