Traded Harley Balic [traded to Melbourne] [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

If more than one club are keen on a player of course that players value will increase as there are more than one potential buyer. What don't you understand about that? Carlisles a perfect example of it, Balic may just want to move home and be happy at a number of clubs. You don't know and neither do I but it's a bit rich to say he'll nominate a club and we'll just cop it, I'd rather send him to the draft than cop a mid 50's pick for him.

Carlisle is the only recent example of it that I can recall. Care to tell me about another bidding war?

Carlisle is the only recent example of it that I can recall. Care to tell me about another bidding war?
Well most examples are money related to so of course there aren't many cases of a "bidding war" taking place, Dom Tyson was happy to go to Richmond or Melbourne though which is what I'm saying. Some players, like Tyson just want to go home and the club isn't as significant as you might think. other examples of players more than happy to play at more than one club, Elliot Yeo, Josh Hill and Josh Caddy off the top of my head, so it does happen. I'm not saying it will happen regarding Balic, but you're naive if you think players don't occasionally operate like that.

Well most examples are money related to so of course there aren't many cases of a "bidding war" taking place, Dom Tyson was happy to go to Richmond or Melbourne though which is what I'm saying. Some players, like Tyson just want to go home and the club isn't as significant as you might think. other examples of players more than happy to play at more than one club, Elliot Yeo, Josh Hill and Josh Caddy off the top of my head, so it does happen. I'm not saying it will happen regarding Balic, but you're naive if you think players don't occasionally operate like that.

I'm not being naive m8, it just rarely happens. Any bidding war between clubs is for the players to nominate them. Once he nominates that's it, the holding club doesn't then get to run an auction with a bunch of clubs the player doesn't want to go to.

I don't think it's right mind you. But in practical terms that's how it works.

I'm not being naive m8, it just rarely happens. Any bidding war between clubs is for the players to nominate them. Once he nominates that's it, the holding club doesn't then get to run an auction with a bunch of clubs the player doesn't want to go to.

I don't think it's right mind you. But in practical terms that's how it works.
Well that's not how it works, the Carlisle situation showed that if the club won't fork out, another club will come running. Mitch Clark to melbourne another example. He nominated us and we wouldn't give Brisbane what they wanted so Melbourne got in his ear. It happens.

Doesn't mean you can't on-trade next years or trade in to it this year...
If you are going to pretend to know s**t, make up a more realistic trade. There is absolutely no way that happens. When you are turning a list over you dont trade 3 list positions (Tucker, Balic and a 2nd round pick) for 1 (1st rounder).

Well that's not how it works, the Carlisle situation showed that if the club won't fork out, another club will come running. Mitch Clark to melbourne another example. He nominated us and we wouldn't give Brisbane what they wanted so Melbourne got in his ear. It happens.

Well we can agree to disagree. What you are mentioning are exceptions. No surprises that Carlisle and Clark are two of the shittest blokes in the league.

If Harley is a s**t bloke, I'll agree with you.

Will be going to St Kilda along with Darcy Tucker and a second round selection for St Kilda's first round pick. Bookmark it.

I don't hate that. Very keen on both. Wouldn't be opposed to throwing in a third for goodwill as i don't see us drafting more than 2 and upgrading a rookie.

Well we can agree to disagree. What you are mentioning are exceptions. No surprises that Carlisle and Clark are two of the shittest blokes in the league.

If Harley is a s**t bloke, I'll agree with you.
I don't think he is a s**t bloke and I don't think he dislikes our club, I reckon he's just homesick. Like McCarthy he just wants to play footy at home which is fine. Just sucks because I think he'll be a very good cheapish pickup for a Victorian side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he is a s**t bloke and I don't think he dislikes our club, I reckon he's just homesick. Like McCarthy he just wants to play footy at home which is fine. Just sucks because I think he'll be a very good cheapish pickup for a Victorian side.

It's frustrating. But its swings and roundabouts. We got Boyd, lost Hamling. You got Hill, McCarthy Hamling etc you lose Roberton and Balic.

Both clubs in front recently really.

I hope we keep him. We'll never get his value. This period of time might help him
stay.

Apparently we were keen on Marcus Adams the year we drafted Balic. Adams was taken just before our pick. He was apparently homesick but has settled in. Hopefully Balic is the same.

How good is ur sauce m8?
Pretty solid mate. He was the one who told me that McCartin wants out to Geelong also. I'm not sure how that gets done as he is contracted (I'm sure you would give him up for Dangerfield though hahaha) but he definitely wants to go there. For mine I hope he stays with you guys. A Saints flag would be good to experience considering I live in the area.

Balic is a real money ball type trade IMO. Given his lack of football and issues off field it won't cost anyone much. You're looking at 3rd rounder.

Tucker on the other hand will cost a bit more

But they're both no where near first round to mid 2nd round value here
I rate them the other way around. Balic>Tucker But see your point. I just don't subscribe to the idea that he's worth a throwaway pick in the 50's. Would rather let him go for nothing tbh.

I rate them the other way around. Balic>Tucker But see your point. I just don't subscribe to the idea that he's worth a throwaway pick in the 50's. Would rather let him go for nothing tbh.
That's a very real possibility. The reality is the club didn't give up much for him in the first place and probably got caught on the hop with the Marcus Adam's situation

If I was freo I'd be looking more to securing Langdon and Grey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back