Autopsy Hawks beat Geelong by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry sir - I'll use another player next time to keep it fair. Is Cuthrie alright? Don't want you to get annoyed by me mentioning Parsons.

Here is another Henderson special - lets guess what happens next.
HEXpcsa.jpg

A) Holding the ball because he pins his arm like he is supposed to - basic under 13's
B) Hawthorn player gets handpass away to teammates

Can we please organise to send someone down to the club that can educate our players on how to tackle properly? Maybe get Cyril Rioli down there on a part time basis - he was an expert at pinning the arm during tackles. Puopolo is also a good example of how to tackle - always pins the arm as you should.
Signalling out specific players is ******* pointless, it’s a team game for a reason

They all had a shocker

Its time to wake up Geelong.

I have been banging on about this for years, but we lack a touch of ruthlessness. We are the nice club.

Our trading has been piss poor. To give a cherry on the top in the Caddie trade was an absolute joke, and Richmond were having a lend and got away with it. Regardless of how poor we think Caddie is, he is better than Menzel and and anyone else we put as a small medium in the forward line. Further we spent money on another injured forward Crameri, not much, but its still cash, for zero output. We lack forwards, and Caddie was relaiable and not injured.

Henderson trade. Seriously overpaid. We let Hamling go for nix. And then he went to Freo for not much. Either way, backs can be gained cheaply. Henry has shown form this year. But what Henderson did was lock us out again for your talent.

The Ablett trade. Overpaid given his age and injury history. We gave away SJ, who had a decent output at GWS. Hodge went for nix, Mitchell same.
This is not a judgement on his year, but the fact we gave up more than market. Please dont come back to me with the chump change we got back in return.

For everyone who wants us to develop our our talent, seriously what planet are you on. If Wells keeps reaching because of one Selwood recruit we are stuffed. Players like Smedts, Lang, Thurlow, Brown are first round picks and have or will be flicked.

GHS type players - why do we recruit them. We dont play them, we dont need 50 of these type of players.

What the Hawks do is look at their gaps and recruit and fill the gaps exceptionally well.

We are too busy being the good guys.

We need to be ruthless in recruiting, and improve development.

Devon Smith is exactly what we lack, and for us not to go harder is a joke. Word is we werent prepared to pay up.

My mail is we are not being told the truth about the cap, and what we are paying players.
Collingwood have a number of high priced recruits and are still looking to bring in a GC elite forward, richmond have cap space.

Yet we are willing to go along the line that we dont have space. WTF.

In simple terms, our list is average. Systematic recruiting 'reach' players needs to stop. We will simply move them on.

WAKE UP GEELONG

20 goals for the season after nailing 45 last year.
Seems to be playing more midfield time this year - I wonder if that is better for Danger or Geelong though?

We have struggled with marking options up forward at times this year - maybe it would be better for the team if he is spent a bit more time up forward, especially as our deepest forward while Hawkins plays a bit further up the field.

It may not happen this year, but for 2019 they surely have to look how to best balance the team, because having Danger spend some more time forward & J. Selwood potentially starting more off the HB line, could allow us to start moving the likes of Parfitt, Narkle & Fogarty in the midfield at times. Maybe we need to put some more trust into the younger guys coming through to take on some more of the work rather than keeping them more on the outside at times.

Watched the replay last night to see how it looked on television compared to at the ground. A few thoughts:

1. The attitude of the team was obvious early. Early in the first quarter Dangerfield got a free kick near the MCC wing, and true to form, handpassed to Tuohy while walking and never looking like breaking stride. Tuohy obligingly kicked it into Dangerfield's back and the ball went straight up in the air. Just lazy, arrogant play.
2. Guthrie was far worse than I realised at the game, and I thought then he was bad. He has gone so far downhill he's barely recognisable. Soft, timid, and indecisive.
3. Kelly has a ton of promise, and has been very good this season. But he butchers the ball a lot.
4. Scott Selwood does not come close to justifying the reputation. Slow, falls over too much, unreliable disposal. Tries his hardest but his body lets him down. Can tackle if his opponent does the right thing and stands next to him. Otherwise just another slow witches hat for opponents to canter around.
5. Tuohy is tremendous under no pressure when things are going well. Under pressure he panics and has no idea what being a defender actually means.
6. I've never seen a player who has to be spoonfed the ball as much as Menzel. Was no threat at any point.
7. Menegola returned to form when the pressure was on. Was ok against Richmond but absolute garbage on Saturday. Panics too easily and just doesn't look where he's kicking it way too much.
8. Dangerfield I thought was better than against Richmond, but his disposal still lets him down too much. He and Ablett were easily our best, and for ball use I could just about give the nod to Ablett.

It's far too simple to say we've got young players and they aren't pulling their weight. That excuses far too many senior players who are just as bad.

Watched the replay last night to see how it looked on television compared to at the ground. A few thoughts:

1. The attitude of the team was obvious early. Early in the first quarter Dangerfield got a free kick near the MCC wing, and true to form, handpassed to Tuohy while walking and never looking like breaking stride. Tuohy obligingly kicked it into Dangerfield's back and the ball went straight up in the air. Just lazy, arrogant play.
2. Guthrie was far worse than I realised at the game, and I thought then he was bad. He has gone so far downhill he's barely recognisable. Soft, timid, and indecisive.
3. Kelly has a ton of promise, and has been very good this season. But he butchers the ball a lot.
4. Scott Selwood does not come close to justifying the reputation. Slow, falls over too much, unreliable disposal. Tries his hardest but his body lets him down. Can tackle if his opponent does the right thing and stands next to him. Otherwise just another slow witches hat for opponents to canter around.
5. Tuohy is tremendous under no pressure when things are going well. Under pressure he panics and has no idea what being a defender actually means.
6. I've never seen a player who has to be spoonfed the ball as much as Menzel. Was no threat at any point.
7. Menegola returned to form when the pressure was on. Was ok against Richmond but absolute garbage on Saturday. Panics too easily and just doesn't look where he's kicking it way too much.
8. Dangerfield I thought was better than against Richmond, but his disposal still lets him down too much. He and Ablett were easily our best, and for ball use I could just about give the nod to Ablett.

It's far too simple to say we've got young players and they aren't pulling their weight. That excuses far too many senior players who are just as bad.
All true

Yeah na.

While he may not be elite, he is far far far from horrible, I have seen the kid live 4 times now and his kicking is very very good.

It was the knock on him pre-draft but everyone at the club have been very surprised at how good a kick the kid is.

They obviously put a bit of development into his kicking since he landed at the club, and he is very capable by foot now.

They did the same with Brad Hill who went from being a pretty s**t kick to one of the best, while at the Hawks.

I would agree on all points. There is a reason why you drop to a 40's pick even if you are a captain of the Geelong Falcons. His inside work and toughness is what made him attractive to the Hawks who need someone to help Tom Mitchell like Brad Sewell did with Sam Mitchell and we had no other hard inside options hence the punt on him. The hawks do consider the footskills the #1 metric but if you are really strong on others and we have a big need for them the Hawks will try and remediate the other weaknesses as they did to Brad Hill who was a 50/50 kick when he came to the club (hence a draft in the 30's rather than a 1st rounder). Brian Lake and James Frawley are others with kicking weaknesses that satisfied the need vs kicking skills argument.

Signalling out specific players is ******* pointless, it’s a team game for a reason

They all had a shocker
singling out of hendo aside, I 100% agree with emu on tackling. in most of our losses this year one of the main things I've felt is that we struggle to stop opposition momentum because they're too often able to get an effective handball off when we tackle.

I hate this footage, but not because Worpel beats Joel to the footy.

Worpel takes the footy, nice spin, but runs in Stewart and delivers a shocking handball to Schoenmakers.
The resulting Schoenmakers handball and Gunston goal, nicely illustrates the Geelong mindset we've taken into far too many games.

This isn't a criticism of Kelly specifically, I think it just illustrates our collective effort and endeavour. Schoenmakers should have been absolutely buried, and in no world should he have got a clean possession. I see stuff like this too often.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="]

Worpel takes the footy, nice spin, but runs in Stewart and delivers a shocking handball to Schoenmakers.
The resulting Schoenmakers handball and Gunston goal, nicely illustrates the Geelong mindset we've taken into far too many games.

This isn't a criticism of Kelly specifically, I think it just illustrates our collective effort and endeavour. Schoenmakers should have been absolutely buried, and in no world should he have got a clean possession. I see stuff like this too often.[/QUOTE]

Joel going for the kick off the ground compared to the player who is going for possession is what starts that chain - in the past it would have been Joel with his head over the ball trying to take possession but not that time

This isn't a criticism of Kelly specifically, I think it just illustrates our collective effort and endeavour. Schoenmakers should have been absolutely buried, and in no world should he have got a clean possession. I see stuff like this too often.

Joel had to pull out. If he so much as nicked Worpel he would be gone for weeks. Not a problem. This stuff just happens in the game.

You are correct - except he managed to handball to a Hawks player standing behind him... Pretty impressive when you consider he has 4 arms wrapped around him. This is the type of basic stuff I get frustrated with - if 2 of our players cannot tackle properly and prevent a feed off then what chance does 1 have with a bit of speed and space? It's like there is no intensity or technique being implemented. I understand one was G.Ablett with a bung shoulder but still no excuse. Not an isolated even either - Hawks tackles stick like glue - ours are weak as piss.

Antoher example of this complete ineptitude in the clinches:

Blicavs gathers the football, two Hawks nearby. One of them applies a tackle straight away, no prior opportunity to dispose - Blicavs feebly llows the ball to spill straight to the other Hawk, goal results. I've lost count of the number of time Blicavs coughs the pill up to the opposition as he is tackled.

Late in the last quarter, Kolo racing to the ball with Puopolo - lets Puopolo outbody him and get to the footy first, then somehow manages to let the ball escape the contest straight to a waiting Hawk, goal results and game over. Just kill the contest. Tackle him and don't let it get out! Simple stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel had to pull out. If he so much as nicked Worpel he would be gone for weeks. Not a problem. This stuff just happens in the game.
Joel made the right call to pull out of the kick. At best it'd have been kicking in danger.
At worst Dangerfield probably is captaining us this Saturday.

Also the final tackle was too low allowing easy release....

Antoher example of this complete ineptitude in the clinches:

Blicavs gathers the football, two Hawks nearby. One of them applies a tackle straight away, no prior opportunity to dispose - Blicavs feebly llows the ball to spill straight to the other Hawk, goal results. I've lost count of the number of time Blicavs coughs the pill up to the opposition as he is tackled.

Late in the last quarter, Kolo racing to the ball with Puopolo - lets Puopolo outbody him and get to the footy first, then somehow manages to let the ball escape the contest straight to a waiting Hawk, goal results and game over. Just kill the contest. Tackle him and don't let it get out! Simple stuff.

Incur a professional free to slow it up like knock it to the boundary. Because it was self evident that poppy was faster and would be more solid in the encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its time to wake up Geelong.

I have been banging on about this for years, but we lack a touch of ruthlessness. We are the nice club.

Our trading has been piss poor. To give a cherry on the top in the Caddie trade was an absolute joke, and Richmond were having a lend and got away with it. Regardless of how poor we think Caddie is, he is better than Menzel and and anyone else we put as a small medium in the forward line. Further we spent money on another injured forward Crameri, not much, but its still cash, for zero output. We lack forwards, and Caddie was relaiable and not injured.

Henderson trade. Seriously overpaid. We let Hamling go for nix. And then he went to Freo for not much. Either way, backs can be gained cheaply. Henry has shown form this year. But what Henderson did was lock us out again for your talent.

The Ablett trade. Overpaid given his age and injury history. We gave away SJ, who had a decent output at GWS. Hodge went for nix, Mitchell same.
This is not a judgement on his year, but the fact we gave up more than market. Please dont come back to me with the chump change we got back in return.

For everyone who wants us to develop our our talent, seriously what planet are you on. If Wells keeps reaching because of one Selwood recruit we are stuffed. Players like Smedts, Lang, Thurlow, Brown are first round picks and have or will be flicked.

GHS type players - why do we recruit them. We dont play them, we dont need 50 of these type of players.

What the Hawks do is look at their gaps and recruit and fill the gaps exceptionally well.

We are too busy being the good guys.

We need to be ruthless in recruiting, and improve development.

Devon Smith is exactly what we lack, and for us not to go harder is a joke. Word is we werent prepared to pay up.

My mail is we are not being told the truth about the cap, and what we are paying players.
Collingwood have a number of high priced recruits and are still looking to bring in a GC elite forward, richmond have cap space.

Yet we are willing to go along the line that we dont have space. WTF.

In simple terms, our list is average. Systematic recruiting 'reach' players needs to stop. We will simply move them on.

WAKE UP GEELONG

Agree with most of it exept i would take Menzal at Hawks no worries

Blicavs also should have stuck a tackle........you let him off the hook there.
What you’re seeing is blokes not knowing whether they are coming or going.....whether to attack the contest or corral the ball carrier because of Scott’s stupid, insipid stand off, zone off game plan.

No one is playing on instinct anymore

Last edited:
We can analyse as many poor tackles as we like, but what really killed us was Parsons and Hawk missing those easy set shots in the dying minutes.

What has killed us all season is how we s**t ourselves in the contest, of which there are hundreds every game. Stick the occasional tackle and we may not find ourselves 5 goals behind and requiring 100% goalkicking accuracy to steal the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back