Club Focus Hawthorn 2020 - Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras, Mitchell, Downie, Brockman

AFL Club Focus

What does Hawthorn most need this off-season?

• A key forward

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A key defender

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • An inside mid

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • An outside mid

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ceglar is a restricted free agent. Teams will have to trade for him. The same goes for Smith, Gunston, Breust or any other player that opposition clubs want to target.

Hawthorn has a ton of cap space. They could still trade for an established player just like Wingard last year when that trade came out of nowhere.

Missing out on Coniglio is not a major blow. He would’ve been more your “icing on the cake” then the difference maker.

Hawthorn already beat GWS, West Coast, Geelong and Collingwood without Mitchell who is a significanty better player than Coniglio anyway.

The Hawks will add two 18 year old midfielders via this years draft. One of those being Maguinness as a F/S selection.

Not necessarily...Having missed out on Cogs, then we might be interested in the compo pick.

Are you sure Smith is still contracted?

Not necessarily...Having missed out on Cogs, then we might be interested in the compo pick.

Are you sure Smith is still contracted?

The compensation pick for Ceglar will be a 3rd or 4th round pick at best. He isn’t earning that much money.

Smith is contracted until the end of 2020.

The compensation pick for Ceglar will be a 3rd or 4th round pick at best. He isn’t earning that much money.
Smith is contracted until the end of 2020.

Worth holding onto then I reckon....Thought the experiment of using big Boy in defence, while playing Cegs in the ruck worked a treat.

Little point in depleting our ruck stocks for a third rounder.

Ceglar is a restricted free agent. Teams will have to trade for him. The same goes for Smith, Gunston, Breust or any other player that opposition clubs want to target.

Hawthorn has a ton of cap space. They could still trade for an established player just like Wingard last year when that trade came out of nowhere.

Missing out on Coniglio is not a major blow. He would’ve been more your “icing on the cake” then the difference maker.

Hawthorn already beat GWS, West Coast, Geelong and Collingwood without Mitchell who is a significanty better player than Coniglio anyway.

The Hawks will add two 18 year old midfielders via this years draft. One of those being Maguinness as a F/S selection.
Ceglar in unrestricted there will be no trading for him

Unless there is another million dollar a year player available, I wouldnt think we give away too many players on the cheap.

Ceglar and Big Boy worked well. Our forwards will kick goals.

If we offer Burgoyne another year he wont go anywhere else. But if he wants to get to 400 games he will need 2 years to get there. So an offer from the Suns where he plays maybe 14 or 15 games a year over 2 years gets him there.

Mitch Cleary mentioned Powell Pepper also connected with Hawks. I think they could both come along with a 2nd/3rd rounder for Hawks 1st rounder.
I don’t think he actually did. He was just spitballing.

Mitch Cleary mentioned Powell Pepper also connected with Hawks. I think they could both come along with a 2nd/3rd rounder for Hawks 1st rounder.
Would be a horrible result for us. Don’t think we’ll be giving up our first unless it’s a genuine gun. We may aswell take it to the draft and hopefully satisfy the 2 1sts rule this year by getting maginess late in the first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You reckon you're getting Powell-Pepper AND Amon AND a second rounder back for pick 10? Get your hand off it.

Would be a horrible result for us. Don’t think we’ll be giving up our first unless it’s a genuine gun. We may aswell take it to the draft and hopefully satisfy the 2 1sts rule this year by getting maginess late in the first
Horrible result? A speculative pick 10 in a weak draft for 2 first 22 players and a second rounder back. Please. Delusional.

Horrible result? A speculative pick 10 in a weak draft for 2 first 22 players and a second rounder back. Please. Delusional.
Bundling up ordinary players doesn’t all of a sudden make them valuable. We have Mitchell, O’Meara, worpel, wingard and shiels all in the midfield, who does spp push out? Probably none of them, we also cant afford more mids with poor skills in there. Amon is attractive but once again I’d rather just give a later pick straight up for him. The situation hawthorn is in is that we have to use some first rounders this year or next, I’m sure as hell not giving it away for 2 players who don’t significantly make us better.

Bundling up ordinary players doesn’t all of a sudden make them valuable. We have Mitchell, O’Meara, worpel, wingard and shiels all in the midfield, who does spp push out? Probably none of them, we also cant afford more mids with poor skills in there. Amon is attractive but once again I’d rather just give a later pick straight up for him. The situation hawthorn is in is that we have to use some first rounders this year or next, I’m sure as hell not giving it away for 2 players who don’t significantly make us better.
They are not ordinary players. If there’s no room for them why do you want them at all?

Why is it that other clubs have to bend over and get crap deals with Hawthorn all the time? I think Hawks supporters just feel too entitled all the time for giving up very little.

They are not ordinary players. If there’s no room for them why do you want them at all?

Why is it that other clubs have to bend overs and get crap deals with Hawthorn all the time? I think Hawks supporters just feel too entitled all the time for giving up very little.
I doubt very highly we’d be after spp, Amon I can understand. And that’s a load of bullshit, we are one of the only teams that pays over to get people. We have some trades where we do well and some where we pay overs. Hardly us screwing teams. You got duursma, Burton and a second rounder for wingard from us, was that us ripping u off?

Why are you guys even debating about Hawthorn trading for SPP, he has nothing to do with Amon or Hawthorn.

Mitch Cleary made a throw away line on radio with no substance. It shouldn’t have even been posted here.

I doubt very highly we’d be after spp, Amon I can understand. And that’s a load of bulls**t, we are one of the only teams that pays over to get people. We have some trades where we do well and some where we pay overs. Hardly us screwing teams. You got duursma, Burton and a second rounder for wingard from us, was that us ripping u off?

Well I’m still very pissed off about that one, personally. I said from day one that trading Chad for anything less than 2 Top 10’s was/is horrible. Burton is OK and Duursma will be a solid mid. But it’s Chad.

Well I’m still very pi**ed off about that one, personally. I said from day one that trading Chad for anything less than 2 Top 10’s was/is horrible. Burton is OK and Duursma will be a solid mid. But it’s Chad.
The chads been great but not many players in the league are worth 2 top 10’s. His form with you guys the last couple of years certainly didn’t warrant it. I think most people thought we payed overs at the time

The chads been great but not many players in the league are worth 2 top 10’s. His form with you guys the last couple of years certainly didn’t warrant it. I think most people thought we payed overs at the time

Sure, we paid overs.....But that's the lengths you sometimes have to go to, in order to land a premium player in the prime of their career.....Just as we did with O'Meara & Burgoyne.

The trade can only be judged in hindsight at the end of the players career....And as we've seen with Burgoyne, it most certainly wasn't overs.

Though what this has to do with a promising - yet middling player - like Amon, is anyone's guess....Other than the fact he's from Port Adelaide.

Sorry to continue the OT discussions, but IMO theres no real point on judging Chad on his last couple of seasons with us because literally everyone at Port has stagnated, for a number of reasons.
I guess it’s all relative to perception. The club clearly wanted him gone, mostly because he didn’t fit nice and comfortably into the Ken Hinkley boys club mould. But he is a dual AA, contracted, 25 years old, and in reality probably the face of the football club. It absolutely should have taken 2 Top 10’s to pry him away.

Ross, Jones, Golds, Greaves and Reeves have all re-signed.
Very excited by Ross, with a full pre season in to him i think he could see regular senior footy next year.

He has the footy IQ and the skills ready to take that next step we just need him to put on a bit of size.

Back