Club Focus Hawthorn 2020 - Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras, Mitchell, Downie, Brockman

AFL Club Focus

What does Hawthorn most need this off-season?

• A key forward

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A key defender

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • An inside mid

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • An outside mid

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Mitchell wasn't fully recovered, but his re-introduction clearly affected Worpel's game as well, which was the far more concerning factor. I don't think four (or five really with Shiels) clearance based midfielders is the best way to go about things.

Shiels isn't, and never really has been, a clearance based midfielder.

He's a defensive midfielder, always has been, whether with a direct opponent or just in stoppage setup.

He also looked like he was really struggling this year just gone

It seems Graeme Wright and the Hawks list management team has been intentional, flexible and while they haven't come out as much to name players that they want, the list management awaits this crunch period for last minute steals when the pressure is on other teams. Hawthorn's draft period track record suggests it could be an exciting afternoon for Hawks fans, but this one may be a little different if we stick to prioritising picks.

Given there has not been too many players named, I'd be shocked if we landed a big name. I think we are likely to get maybe 1-2 good players and likely pay those players unders.

The priority has got to be improving the 2021 draft pick positions. It seems Hawks would have to give up something to improve that position in what is shaping as a strong 2021 draft.

I'd be prepared to see Gunston go, given there is extreme interest from Collingwood, but it's a tough call. These tough calls have to be made. We all love Gunners, but I tend to agree with the Talking Hawks guys it seems Hawks would ultimately let Gunners make the call. Talking Hawks picks or players Youtube (18mins)

QUESTION: Who is with me on trading current assets this afternoon if there is a few quick moves that need to be made, as per Wrighty's flexible approach through this period?

For one of the best extended clips of Wright on the Hawks trading approach for 2020, check out the Hawks Talk Trade podcast if you haven't heard podcast 1 and it will give you some insights on the flexibility and nimble approach while insisting on sticking to their plan. In podcast 2 Wright indicates the draft will remain a priority, but is still open.

That said, the untouchables have to be Worpel, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Day, Greaves and the younger crew of that age who are getting regular games.

QUESTION: Any other untouchables if we are looking to improve the 2021 future draft pick positions?

It seems Graeme Wright and the Hawks list management team has been intentional, flexible and while they haven't come out as much to name players that they want, the list management awaits this crunch period for last minute steals when the pressure is on other teams. Hawthorn's draft period track record suggests it could be an exciting afternoon for Hawks fans, but this one may be a little different if we stick to prioritising picks.

Given there has not been too many players named, I'd be shocked if we landed a big name. I think we are likely to get maybe 1-2 good players and likely pay those players unders.

The priority has got to be improving the 2021 draft pick positions. It seems Hawks would have to give up something to improve that position in what is shaping as a strong 2021 draft.

I'd be prepared to see Gunston go, given there is extreme interest from Collingwood, but it's a tough call. These tough calls have to be made. We all love Gunners, but I tend to agree with the Talking Hawks guys it seems Hawks would ultimately let Gunners make the call. Talking Hawks picks or players Youtube (18mins)

QUESTION: Who is with me on trading current assets this afternoon if there is a few quick moves that need to be made, as per Wrighty's flexible approach through this period?

For one of the best extended clips of Wright on the Hawks trading approach for 2020, check out the Hawks Talk Trade podcast if you haven't heard podcast 1 and it will give you some insights on the flexibility and nimble approach while insisting on sticking to their plan. In podcast 2 Wright indicates the draft will remain a priority, but is still open.

That said, the untouchables have to be Worpel, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Day, Greaves and the younger crew of that age who are getting regular games.

QUESTION: Any other untouchables if we are looking to improve the 2021 future draft pick positions?

How do Collingwood get Gunston on a 4 year deal if they are over the cap and still havent traded out anyone?

Unless they get us Phillips and another promising young player on reasonable coin I just dont see how it works.

And we have said we dont want Phillips because he is asking too much.

How do Collingwood get Gunston on a 4 year deal if they are over the cap and still havent traded out anyone?

Unless they get us Phillips and another promising young player on reasonable coin I just dont see how it works.

I imagine Pies would back end the deal and pay Gunners $450-500 for his first year or so. I'm not sure I'd be trusting their contract management and shuffling of dollars from first to last years of a contract given what the media has said about the handling of Treloar's contract. That said, nothing has been verified by the Pies.

Perhaps Pies hit up Grundy and others on the large coin and say if we can get Gunston, you might be a premiership player. Are you up for it?

What is posturing and what is straight shooting when it comes to the Hawks statements?

It may be that Phillips is chasing the money now. If so, I don't think he fits the Hawks anyway.

Worpel going nowhere.

Like I've told you already, they've attempted four times now and without success - this kid was Geelong through and through and now despises them, sound familiar?

That my friend is what you call irony at it's finest - passing on both the Geelong Falcons and Vic Country captain three times before he's picked up by another club, only to have him knock you back four times when you come crawling back.

Absolutely love this kid and he's only going to get better 😉

Aren't we better off keeping Gunston and trying to get Phillips for a nothing pick - oh, wait 😂

Shut the gate!! Give the Hawks the flag!! They got Phillips for a nothing pick.... Genius! How do they do it?

Surely you're kidding right?

How about we just take a page from your clubs book and cough up Pick 8 for a back flanker 😂

This is a Hawthorn recruit thread but apparently it's a crime to discuss it.

Maybe the mods should just remove it entirely so as not to offend and precious little petals out there.

If a Downie bid comes at 20-23 and Hawthorn decide to match at 24. What happens to the extra points Hawthorn would have left from over from 24? Does the next pick get upgraded with the additional points?
No, let's say you match a bid at 20 and you use 24 to match it, the stockpile of points you used go towards a new pick, in this case, you'll be rewarded with pick 67 because you were 70 points over.

No, let's say you match a bid at 20 and you use 24 to match it, the stockpile of points you used go towards a new pick, in this case, you'll be rewarded with pick 67 because you were 70 points over.
Has this changed because this most definitely didn’t happen last yr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has this changed because this most definitely didn’t happen last yr
It did and it does, though you most likely have heard it called "sliding back", or perhaps just didn't notice since it's complicated as * with not a lot of transparency on draft night.

It did and it does, though you most likely have heard it called "sliding back", or perhaps just didn't notice since it's complicated as fu** with not a lot of transparency on draft night.
Pretty sure you only slide back a pick if more than 1 pick is used.

E.G. use 24 to match 20 - nothing back. Use 35 and 39 to match 20.... 39 slides back.

Makes sense, given it's 1 pick used for 1 player. If you slid back from 1 pick, you'd effectively be getting 2 players for 1 pick.

If a Downie bid comes at 20-23 and Hawthorn decide to match at 24. What happens to the extra points Hawthorn would have left from over from 24? Does the next pick get upgraded with the additional points?

Hopefully if it does we are trading out pick 24 for some sort of 2nd rounder in 2021.

Not at all saying you are wrong, but I swear I saw in a mock draft on here at some point this scenario playing out and the Hawthorn picks in the 40's moving up with one then being in the 30s.

It really is difficult to understand the full ins and outs.

Not at all saying you are wrong, but I swear I saw in a mock draft on here at some point this scenario playing out and the Hawthorn picks in the 40's moving up with one then being in the 30s.

well, that was just a hypothetical scenario, obviously the Hawk's pick 24 is going to be pushed back by a few but yes, you seem to be on point with the rest.

Hopefully if it does we are trading out pick 24 for some sort of 2nd rounder in 2021.
Best we could get for 27 was 2021 Melbourne demons 3rd round.
Maybe the fact that we could not use the pick plus the capital your list managers have built up over time can get you something substantially better, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

Picks dont move up unless because of other teams using up their picks for bids.

I think easiest way to think about it is to think that any picks you use for a bid are gone and a new pick is created worth the overflow.

Back