Club Focus Hawthorn 2020 - Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras, Mitchell, Downie, Brockman

AFL Club Focus

What does Hawthorn most need this off-season?

• A key forward

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A key defender

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • An inside mid

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • An outside mid

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise that Gunston came third in the Coleman (would have been even second but dished his 400th career goal off to Stratton) in a side that not only finished in the bottom four but also a side that was sending inadequate supply into it's forward line.

Both Breast and Gunston are elite in their position and while they are getting on in age, they're by no means over the hill and most definitely still in their prime.

Any teams in contention (such as Brisbane, Collingwood and St Kilda) would be crazy not to go hard for either of or both these players.

Even teams on the cusp of playing finals (Carlton for example) could greatly benefit by obtaining the services of players of their caliber.

I'd definitely prefer them both to stay (unless it was massive overs for both club and player) and I'm sure the majority of other Hawthorn supporters feel the same way.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, I'm saying clubs rarely give up first round currency for players 29 or older.

Carlton for example have picks 7 and 27. That's not a good position if you are Hawthorn.

Brisbane and Geelong are ideal destinations because they have picks 15, 16, 18, 19 (pre finals) between them. Or a Polec style trade where later picks are exchanged for points value.

Have done well with trading and picking up FA, but I reckon they would want to take 4 and 22 to the draft this year and bring in some young talent.

I disagree. We've been pretty bog average at FA pickups.

Frawley a win and Vickery a bigger bust. Cogs was all but over the line until the money to stay was too much, still a miss.

Trading and RFA pickups have been strong though.

That is a poorly thought out comment.

Hawks put up a 1st round pick for a 30 yo Lake and he was instrumental in winning 3 more flags.

That said I hope we dont trade Gunston. His value to the club is higher than his value on the trade table

21 and 43 for Lake and 27. Would you be happy with that for Gunston?

21 and 43 for Lake and 27. Would you be happy with that for Gunston?

Gunston's body doesn't resemble a trainwreck and he doesn't have a questionable character.

He's also been a standout contributor in a dominant side that's won three flags.

What do you think?

How about we sling you a third for Gaff while we're at it?

Gunston's body doesn't resemble a trainwreck and he doesn't have a questionable character.

He's also been a standout contributor in a dominant side that's won three flags.

What do you think?

How about we sling you a third for Gaff while we're at it?

I'm not the one who said the Hawks put up a first rounder for Lake. Technically they did, but 21 with 27 coming back is a long way from some of the deals suggested for Gunston. Trade value isn't determined by being good in a good side 5 years ago.

If you can get a good pick for Gunston then good luck to you. There just isn't a long history of 29 year olds being traded. Nick Dal Santo was a durable 29 year old and St Kilda let him go for pick 25 as free agency compo. He barely missed a game for 3 years and could've played on. Bryce Gibbs was traded at 28 and that's roundly regarded as one of the worst ever. Deledio went for a future 1st, so that's one example (to GWS who used 2, 5, 14, 20). Patfull went for pick 21 (again to GWS who used 4, 6, 7, 23, 24).

He would be a fantastic addition for Port or Geelong, possibly Carlton who have a couple of key targets. Collingwood and Brisbane are really in need of a key forward so would just be adding to/upgrading what they have. I don't think he will be traded because of the disconnect in age/form/perceived value.

The two examples can't be compared so don't know why you're trying.

Once again refer to my post.

Gunston is going to be a star for the next 3-5 years regardless of where he's playing.

Hopefully it's still with the HFC.

Gunston's consistency is his real value and I can see a club parting with a late 1st rd pick, which will be more like a 2nd rd pick in previous drafts...

I'm not the one who said the Hawks put up a first rounder for Lake. Technically they did, but 21 with 27 coming back is a long way from some of the deals suggested for Gunston. Trade value isn't determined by being good in a good side 5 years ago.

If you can get a good pick for Gunston then good luck to you. There just isn't a long history of 29 year olds being traded. Nick Dal Santo was a durable 29 year old and St Kilda let him go for pick 25 as free agency compo. He barely missed a game for 3 years and could've played on. Bryce Gibbs was traded at 28 and that's roundly regarded as one of the worst ever. Deledio went for a future 1st, so that's one example (to GWS who used 2, 5, 14, 20). Patfull went for pick 21 (again to GWS who used 4, 6, 7, 23, 24).

He would be a fantastic addition for Port or Geelong, possibly Carlton who have a couple of key targets. Collingwood and Brisbane are really in need of a key forward so would just be adding to/upgrading what they have. I don't think he will be traded because of the disconnect in age/form/perceived value.

Are you just being ludicrously pedantic because you are bored?

I merely provided an example of a senior player being successfully traded in for a 1st round pick, Im not even sure why you quoted me tbh

Are you just being ludicrously pedantic because you are bored?

I merely provided an example of a senior player being successfully traded in for a 1st round pick, Im not even sure why you quoted me tbh
Because you, for some reason, forgot to mention you received an early 2nd back for that last 1st and late 2nd you handed over as well as getting Lake.

Are you happy to give Gunston and 25 for 19 and 38?

Because you, for some reason, forgot to mention you received an early 2nd back for that last 1st and late 2nd you handed over as well as getting Lake.

Are you happy to give Gunston and 25 for 19 and 38?
Imagine giving Gunston away for that and the team he goes to wins three premierships in a row. One of them Gunston wins a Norm Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine giving Gunston away for that and the team he goes to wins three premierships in a row. One of them Gunston wins a Norm Smith.
I think they ended up with Hvorat and Stevens. I'd rather Lake.

So what if he does? It wouldn't tarnish his legacy with his current club.

Ignoring whether they get a trade fans hate or a good pick that turns out a bust etc. There's nothing wrong with entertaining an offer from a contending club, and there's nothing wrong with choosing to stay and be part of a rebuild even if you think that you probably won't be there to see the fruits of it.

With smith leaving, many retirements and no fish coming how do we meet the 95% cap floor (think we have been front loading for a while already)
Trade week hasn’t even started.

Well at least we should have heard the last of the Clarko, destination club rubbish the media love to spew out.
Corr choosing North who are without a coach and on their knees should officially end it now.
Someone just needs to tell Clarko the music has stopped and to accept reality ...
We just need to start offering solid contributors like Zac Williams 6 year 800-900k contracts to get them over the line.

Hawthorn don't have to trade for a UFA but they might choose to if it's an upgrade.

Crankyhawk our cap position is an interesting one. Meeting the minimum will likely involve more shuffling, with the amount of long term contracts being offered the past few years some clubs cap position will be tight for an extended period.

Congratulations on gaining Hartigan’s commitment, though you will have to trade for him with Smith walking out.
How much longer are Patton and Scully on big coin ?
Patton is not on huge coin as he split his total contract over an extra year when he signed.

I dunno what possessed you to come in here and take shots for no reason but yikes my guy. Move on.

Well at least we should have heard the last of the Clarko, destination club rubbish the media love to spew out.
Corr choosing North who are without a coach and on their knees should officially end it now.
Someone just needs to tell Clarko the music has stopped and to accept reality ...
I agree.

Hawthorn are living in past.

You need to be top 4 or an upcoming team or pay through the nose to get quality recruiters.

The Hawks have put themselves into a corner.

Clarkson and Hawthorn need to understand they to rebuild via the draft.

I agree.

Hawthorn are living in past.

You need to be top 4 or an upcoming team or pay through the nose to get quality recruiters.

The Hawks have put themselves into a corner.

Clarkson and Hawthorn need to understand they to rebuild via the draft.
We hit the Draft last year and have been saying it publicly we will be this year as well.

Hawthorn are not living in the past, we are well aware of where we are at.

Back