Herald-Sun: "Rampant Tigers carry hopes of state in Grand Final"

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's ridiculous. They're either clueless or it's a hopeless attempt at biased/manipulative reporting. They said it about the Pies last year which was even more laughable...

Only time a majority of Vics would support another Victorian club is probably if it's one of the smaller, less successful clubs who may not have had success for awhile, like the Dogs in 16.

Suppose some might also dislike the Giants for being a plastic AFL project.

And yeah, it shows the Victorian media ia definitely still pushing the whole state rivalry thing.
Feel free to support Melbourne if we ever make one. We will need all the support we can get, mind you, by the time we make a GF global warming would’ve wiped out the snow fields so no excuses.

It was better in last years herald sun when there was a front page article with a headline saying something like ‘Keep the cup in Victoria’. It also featured the captains of all Victorian clubs, of which only Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn were participating in the finals!

Shows how insular The Victorian football media is. It is one of the reasons that non-Victorian team problems like the Grand Final always at the MCG never gets any traction behind it because the Victorian football media wont let it.

Nobody forgets the losers of a prelim. Literally no one. Semis and Eliminations, unless memorable, sure. But they dont really matter. Prelims and Grannys are almost always remembered.

Observe. Who can tell me: what year and who they were playing and the result...

View attachment 751026

Some prelims more famous than the granny -such as Carl V Ess 1999

DYwcpi0W0AAJ6Ct.jpg

It gets frequently reposted on the Eagles board for obvious reasons.

So cringe worthy. Most are flogs so not too surprising but Pendles and Roughy don't come across as flog-esque

So cringe worthy. Most are flogs so not too surprising but Pendles and Roughy don't come across as flog-esque

To be fair, I think they just asked the 10 Victorian clubs to provide players for a photoshoot in the pre-season and asked Riewoldt to pose with the cup as Richmond were the reigning premiers but probably didn't tell them about the headline to accompany it.

I've followed their progress keenly, when they flick it around they are a joy to watch. Losing Mummy was huge for them, getting him back was equally as huge. He gives them that nastiness every team needs. Yes they've been given help, but they haven't pissed it up against the wall like the Suns.
I'm also talking through my hip pocket, go Giants.

I don't know why the media persists with this rubbish. Year after year, we hear "Insert Victorian team" carry states hopes.

Anyone who understands tribal footy culture going back 100 years, knows that we as Victorians hate the other Victorian clubs. It's the same in the EPL and any tribal localised sporting league. Richmond do not carry the hopes of Victoria, nor should they. They carry the hopes of their own fans. You'd think the Herald-Sun would be beyond this rubbish, as this is now the 8th consecutive year a Victorian club has met a non-Victorian club. I expected this sort of crap in the early 90's when the national comp was just fledging, but not in 2019.

Maybe, but you hate the non-Vic clubs more.

Pretty much.

I think the only time I went for the vic over the non Victorian side was Haw v Freo. Partly cos I thought they really deserved it and we a bit unlucky the year before. But mainly cos Ross Lyon boring footy.

Haha, I'm sure that was the reason.

On topic, OP if you think that's bad you should try living in WA to understand what real parochialism is like. It's like North Korea over here.

Honestly as a Tiges supporter, i CNGAF as to who anyone supports this weekend. I have one interest only. Go your hardest and have fun with it.

I just hate GWS. Nothing to do with them being interstate. In my opinion they're manufactured fakery. They've received way too many concessions and help and draft picks and money from the AFL, and their supporters have literally only been around for a few years so there'll be no heartache for any one if they lose.

Toby Greene is a dirty coward who makes my skin crawl.

So yeah. Go Tiges (From a Carlton fan)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun is for old right wing conservatives. Who else would buy in to provincial junk dished up from a company headquartered in New York.
Whereas The Age is just to the left of Communist Manifesto.

Makes it difficult if you like reading the paper doesn't it. Something in the middle would be nice!

Richmond is not a small club, they can take care of themselves.

Please bring the hate, it will hopefully make up for the loss of an exciting build up if Collingwood were there.

Honestly, my excitement has waned.., why Collingwood, why have you done this...

I expect and want to see support for the newest franchise, support the franchise and you support the AFL, they need ALL the support, bring it on, support the draft handouts that has diluted the drafts and opportunity for the bottoming teams to pick rightfully the best young players they were deserving of...

ALL the love for GWS is love for the AFL, and that may stir something inside me...

Why Collingwood, whyyyyyy...............

But remember this... everybody forgets the losers of Prelims. In a month, nobody will care about Collingwood getting knocked out in that Prelim. But if you lose this grand final... and if you lose BIG, GWS will be the butt of all jokes for the next 12 months. And I'm not being an ass here either... the amount of crap that Pies fans have copped from West Coast people over the past 12 months is an avalanche of poop. Richmond fans are much worse than West Coast fans too.. So.. you might have done us a favor so we can go through next season in peace without that stigma of getting smashed by Richmond in a Grand Final hanging over our heads!

Essendon 99 disagrees with you.

Dont know if im a representative sample, but as a born and bred Victorian, im firmly in the GWS camp this week

Me too ... State of Origin means nothing to me when it comes to who I support in the GF. Last year I was barracking my heart out for the
Weagles and it was a sweetas result to see them knock over the Pies by 5 points.

I don't know why the media persists with this rubbish. Year after year, we hear "Insert Victorian team" carry states hopes.

Anyone who understands tribal footy culture going back 100 years, knows that we as Victorians hate the other Victorian clubs. It's the same in the EPL and any tribal localised sporting league. Richmond do not carry the hopes of Victoria, nor should they. They carry the hopes of their own fans. You'd think the Herald-Sun would be beyond this rubbish, as this is now the 8th consecutive year a Victorian club has met a non-Victorian club. I expected this sort of crap in the early 90's when the national comp was just fledging, but not in 2019.
Agree with everything you said although I had to laugh at the line “You’d think the Herald Sun would be beyond this rubbish”.

I expect the majority of the Victorian opposition supporters would be barracking for GWS to beat us. I would be the same if it were another Victorian team unless if it was the dogs or maybe the Saints.

Yeah it's ridiculous. They're either clueless or it's a hopeless attempt at biased/manipulative reporting. They said it about the Pies last year which was even more laughable...

Only time a majority of Vics would support another Victorian club is probably if it's one of the smaller, less successful clubs who may not have had success for awhile, like the Dogs in 16.

Suppose some might also dislike the Giants for being a plastic AFL project.

And yeah, it shows the Victorian media ia definitely still pushing the whole state rivalry thing.

In my case I would only support the Dogs (again) the Saints and possibly Melb. against a non Vic. team.

"State pride" is such a weird idea in general. I don't know how it is in other states, but I don't ever remember meeting anyone in Melbourne who would consider being a Victorian an important part of their identity. Maybe it's an old person thing, hence why the HS is getting in on the act, but the idea that I'd feel an kind of partiality to a football club just because they're based in the geographical territory into which I was born strikes me as really odd.

I mean we can all agree that Queensland is a benighted hovel filled with racists and religious nuts, but other than that I don't see how statehood matters in the slightest in the year 2019.

"State pride" is such a weird idea in general. I don't know how it is in other states, but I don't ever remember meeting anyone in Melbourne who would consider being a Victorian an important part of their identity. Maybe it's an old person thing, hence why the HS is getting in on the act, but the idea that I'd feel an kind of partiality to a football club just because they're based in the geographical territory into which I was born strikes me as really odd.

I mean we can all agree that Queensland is a benighted hovel filled with racists and religious nuts, but other than that I don't see how statehood matters in the slightest in the year 2019.

I think state identity is still pretty important. We're a federal system, so states are pretty autonomous, and remember we were separate colonies that came together to federate. NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, WA were basically separate countries.

In WA it's more a 'west vs the rest' or the west and the eastern states. When the Eagles entered and won their first GF in 92 they were seen as the WA state side in the VFL basically (and the nascent AFL). Taking the cup from Victoria to WA was akin to us pinching the America's Cup before that.

Last edited:

For most in WA we support WC or Freo simply because of geography, like the vast majority of sports fans around the world. Most of us didn't really 'choose' to follow the Eagles or Dockers, or inherited it, it's part of where we come from, part of state/,city identity. Wearing my Eagles gear hete in Melbourne seems as a much an indicator of me being a West Australian as an Eagles supporter, since most of us are. The fact Melbourne has so many teams in a supposedly national league is unusual, although the NRL is similar, and London has a few clubs in the EPL. Owe it to the fact the AFL wasn't created from the ground up as a national league, but stemmed from what was basically a metropolitan league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back