Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t be surprised if Melbourne have lost to Gold Coast this season
More likely to lose to them than lose to a top 8 team on this year's form

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It’s kinda funny the saltiness between Melbourne and bulldogs fans when it seems to me (admittedly new to this) that both franchises have not won much of anything. You’d think the two fan bases would band together and support each other, especially when both are have great seasons, but then again there’s lots of hate between historically bad teams in other sports.

It’s kinda funny the saltiness between Melbourne and bulldogs fans when it seems to me (admittedly new to this) that both franchises have not won much of anything. You’d think the two fan bases would band together and support each other, especially when both are have great seasons, but then again there’s lots of hate between historically bad teams in other sports.
Neither Melbourne nor the Bulldogs are franchises

More likely to lose to them than lose to a top 8 team on this year's form

Yeah my point exactly. Melbourne could win all their remaining double ups v top 8 sides then lose to whatever poor sides they are yet to play based on pervious form this season.

What was the last team to have all their losses only come from bottom 10 sides?

Yeah my point exactly. Melbourne could win all their remaining double ups v top 8 sides then lose to whatever poor sides they are yet to play based on pervious form this season.

What was the last team to have all their losses only come from bottom 10 sides?
I have no idea, I reckon Carlton in the mid 90's only lost 2 games and they were against bottom teams

I like the Bulldogs. A lot. Good side.

One half of my family is Melbourne the other half Footscray. I quite like the doggies (except when they play us) and saw many a game at the Western oval.
That said I’ve seen Mum and dad have some epic fights over close games

I failed maths but still pretty sure that 12 is greater than 2.

I have no idea where the angst is coming from between Dogs and Dees supporters? Maybe both are starved of success and see the other as a major threat this season. Who would have thought that hey!?

Anyway, I love the Dogs, love the side they have built(Bont is a shoe in for the Brownlow this season IMO). I do worry about their performances under elite pressure this year and also wonder if their backline is a premiership backline. However, was super stoked for them when they won it a few years back and I hope they see more success in the coming years (which I think they will), just not against the Dees.

I failed maths but still pretty sure that 12 is greater than 2.
Anything greater than 57 years ago doesn't count supposedly. History getting wiped right in front of our eyes! If you are too old to remember or weren't born at the time then it officially never happened!

We've beaten them all.
So had we in 2013.....Didn’t mean anything come finals!.....And in 2017 the Tigers had lost to all 3 teams during the H&A season that they ended up beating in September.....I wouldn’t be reading much into it at all.

So had we in 2013.....Didn’t mean anything come finals!.....And in 2017 the Tigers had lost to all 3 teams during the H&A season that they ended up beating in September.....I wouldn’t be reading much into it at all.

So "the best three teams in it" have all been beaten by another side who isn't in the best 3 teams? We may not end up going on to win the flag but to exclude us from the best 3 tams when we have beaten the other 3 is pretty stupid, especially when the games weren't really that close.

So "the best three teams in it" have all been beaten by another side who isn't in the best 3 teams? We may not end up going on to win the flag but to exclude us from the best 3 tams when we have beaten the other 3 is pretty stupid, especially when the games weren't really that close.
I’m not excluding you at all, there’s 4 legitimate chances this year, I was merely pointing out great records against opponents in the season often doesn’t mean much at all.....Round 20 will be a great watch because it’s at the ‘G & it’ll be crucial for both you & the Dogs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not excluding you at all, there’s 4 legitimate chances this year, I was merely pointing out great records against opponents in the season often doesn’t mean much at all.....Round 20 will be a great watch because it’s at the ‘G & it’ll be crucial for both you & the Dogs!

Hopefully it's at the G ☹️

Dees will come good at some stage. They’ve been ordinary most the year and still sit on top. If they fix their midfield they will be the team to beat come finals. That back line is the best in the comp by a mile, and the forward line works if delivery is on point. It’s the midfield that’s a shambles for them. Beaten in clearances and making life hard elsewhere for no reason.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Show more ignorance.

2. Educate yourself on the meaning of a franchise.

Some cringe Melbourne and opposition supporters on here..

There's still a level of trust issues i have with Melbourne. The Port Adelaide win almost means little when a week later we dished up that performance against Hawthorn's VFL side.

The mental aspect of this footy club is a concern and has been since the Roos era. Unfortunately Goodwin still hasn't been able to shed that off even with this years results. Beat good top sides but yet fail to win the ones where you simply just eat up. Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS, and then failing to put Hawthorn away when we are 26 points up.

In 2016 we beat top of the ladder Hawthorn who had won 9 straight, but yet lost to an wooden spooner team in Essendon made up of fill in VFL rejects. We then lost to a bottom 4 Carlton team in the second last round which pretty much cost us finals. Losing those 2 games pretty much cost us finals.

In 2017 we beat grand finalists Adelaide in Adelaide and also knocked off West Coast at their home ground. But yet we lost to North Melbourne not once, but twice that year who finished bottom 4. We then choked in that infamous last game against Collingwood who finished 13th that year. We also lost to Fremantle at home earlier on the year when we were 20 odd points up at half time. Freo finished 14th that's year. We needed to win one of those games to make finals.. just one.

In 2018 we cost ourselves top 4 by losing to a St Kilda team that finished bottom 3. Had we sewn up that game like good sides would then a double shot at finals would have been a given. Yet we beat eventual premiers at their own home ground. Go figure.

Skip 2019, that was a write off in itself.

2020 we had our destiny in our own hands. The infamous Cairns debacle that cost us a finals spot. Losing to a bottom 3 club in Sydney after knocking off semi finalists that year in St Kilda the week before. We then dish up even worse performance to Freo the week after. We were widely tipped to win both games. Even if we had just beaten either Sydney or Freo, that was finals sewn up.

It's all mental. I thought this year I finally saw a change, but unfortunately on exposed form so far I still have question marks. While finals is sewn up, top 4 isn't.
Deard set would not be surprised if we beat the doggies tonight and lose to GC the week after.

Our best is absolutely premiership material, but I think clubs are starting to work us out.

The other concern is that we are already in round 18 and yet we are still trying to find out what our best forward structure is. Because you know we've only had 18 rounds to work it out..

Some cringe Melbourne and opposition supporters on here..

There's still a level of trust issues i have with Melbourne. The Port Adelaide win almost means little when a week later we dished up that performance against Hawthorn's VFL side.

The mental aspect of this footy club is a concern and has been since the Roos era. Unfortunately Goodwin still hasn't been able to shed that off even with this years results. Beat good top sides but yet fail to win the ones where you simply just eat up. Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS, and then failing to put Hawthorn away when we are 26 points up.

In 2016 we beat top of the ladder Hawthorn who had won 9 straight, but yet lost to an wooden spooner team in Essendon made up of fill in VFL rejects. We then lost to a bottom 4 Carlton team in the second last round which pretty much cost us finals. Losing those 2 games pretty much cost us finals.

In 2017 we beat grand finalists Adelaide in Adelaide and also knocked off West Coast at their home ground. But yet we lost to North Melbourne not once, but twice that year who finished bottom 4. We then choked in that infamous last game against Collingwood who finished 13th that year. We also lost to Fremantle at home earlier on the year when we were 20 odd points up at half time. Freo finished 14th that's year. We needed to win one of those games to make finals.. just one.

In 2018 we cost ourselves top 4 by losing to a St Kilda team that finished bottom 3. Had we sewn up that game like good sides would then a double shot at finals would have been a given. Yet we beat eventual premiers at their own home ground. Go figure.

Skip 2019, that was a write off in itself.

2020 we had our destiny in our own hands. The infamous Cairns debacle that cost us a finals spot. Losing to a bottom 3 club in Sydney after knocking off semi finalists that year in St Kilda the week before. We then dish up even worse performance to Freo the week after. We were widely tipped to win both games. Even if we had just beaten either Sydney or Freo, that was finals sewn up.

It's all mental. I thought this year I finally saw a change, but unfortunately on exposed form so far I still have question marks. While finals is sewn up, top 4 isn't.
Deard set would not be surprised if we beat the doggies tonight and lose to GC the week after.

Our best is absolutely premiership material, but I think clubs are starting to work us out.

The other concern is that we are already in round 18 and yet we are still trying to find out what our best forward structure is. Because you know we've only had 18 rounds to work it out..

I don't think teams have worked is out I think it's all mental as you say. Frustrating but we still have a core of pretty young players/leaders. They need to start getting rid of those performances though if they want to play to their potential.

uCjBGCKO.jpg

To answer the op's question

I don't think teams have worked is out I think it's all mental as you say. Frustrating but we still have a core of pretty young players/leaders. They need to start getting rid of those performances though if they want to play to their potential.
Fair point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back