How does Labor win the next federal election/elections to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

The ALP should have kept plans to take money out of people's hands to themselves until after they breezed into power, then just made it law with the backing of the greens. Three years later everyone would have forgotten and the added spending would be unable to be wound back because now to change the spending would be seen as removing money from their pockets - just like the extra tax money taken in previously.

It's why making a 20 year funding plan for medicare is so effective. Adding in an extra $10b to health in 2033 doesn't achieve anything but when the opposition change that plan to be actual budgeted and funded money up to 2030 you get to say they ripped TEN BILLION OUT HEALTHCARE!!

It's very effective.

The ALP should have kept plans to take money out of people's hands to themselves until after they breezed into power, then just made it law with the backing of the greens. Three years later everyone would have forgotten and the added spending would be unable to be wound back because now to change the spending would be seen as removing money from their pockets - just like the extra tax money taken in previously.

It's why making a 20 year funding plan for medicare is so effective. Adding in an extra $10b to health in 2033 doesn't achieve anything but when the opposition change that plan to be actual budgeted and funded money up to 2030 you get to say they ripped TEN BILLION OUT HEALTHCARE!!

It's very effective.
All of the highest taxing governments of recent times have been Liberal. That Labor are/will be ripping money out of people's hand is just plain wrong.

All of the highest taxing governments of recent times have been Liberal. That Labor are/will be ripping money out of people's hand is just plain wrong.
That's the spirit, keep the entire franking credit and MRRT discussion elsewhere.

Remember when tax cuts were being called spending by the non LNP fan club?

Had Bob Brown stayed home and smoked weed like usual, Labor would have received a reasonable vote and not lost that QLD senate seat to the LNP. That loss means that we likely won’t get a friendly Senate even if we win the House.
How dare he stand up for his views? Perhaps the ALP should have had a consistent ADANI policy not one that changed from electorate to electorate?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This hit piece is just disgraceful

party politics. its why i dont get into preselection drama any more

i still remember in the 90's labor candidates for Higgins had PI's dumpster diving to prove (1) was living in Burwood outside the electorate, and (2) the other was having some kind of affair. We were getting updates from each on the dirt they were getting on each other, and thats when I decided to bug out. We were having an ugly shitstorm over who got to do a suicide run against Peter Costello FFS.

FWIW the notion of true local candidates is pretty much meh these days anyway. Its rare for someone to live in one electorate their whole life, esp with changing electoral boundaries.

Very poor trying to equate someone who is from the rich north shore with someone who has lived in near to the region and physically moved there a year ago. Just reinforces, ALP (like the LNP) only pretends to care about diversity and wont let it impact on the careers of their mates.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had Bob Brown stayed home and smoked weed like usual, Labor would have received a reasonable vote and not lost that QLD senate seat to the LNP. That loss means that we likely won’t get a friendly Senate even if we win the House.
Yes, yes, your party is completely blameless and everything is someone else's fault. If the Labor higher-ups think like you, they're screwed, because the losses in SEQ, Tasmania and Western Sydney had very little to do with coal mining. And if they've failed to convince voters they're different to Bob Brown, that's a PR failure on Labor's part.

It doesn't paint Labor in a great light regardless, just shows double that they don't care about the opinion of the rank and file. We in parliament know better and you will vote for whoever we choose like good little lemmings. Still better than Scummo's path to preselection though, I suppose.

Outgoing Labor MP Joel Fitzgibbon kicked off the Icac bashing on the same program, describing it as “a failed experiment” – which is certainly not Labor policy, because federal Labor wants to create a national integrity commission.

Fitzgibbon said:

I’m a great supporter of the principle innocent until proven guilty. With Icac over many years, just the opposite has been true. When you have a referral of any sort to them [they are] guilty until proven innocent. Three Liberal premiers with testify to that fact, none of them any had adverse findings against them in the eyes of the law but were certainly hung out to dry by what I think is a kangaroo court.

Outgoing Labor MP Joel Fitzgibbon kicked off the Icac bashing on the same program, describing it as “a failed experiment” – which is certainly not Labor policy, because federal Labor wants to create a national integrity commission.

Fitzgibbon said:

I’m a great supporter of the principle innocent until proven guilty. With Icac over many years, just the opposite has been true. When you have a referral of any sort to them [they are] guilty until proven innocent. Three Liberal premiers with testify to that fact, none of them any had adverse findings against them in the eyes of the law but were certainly hung out to dry by what I think is a kangaroo court.
Poor man's Mark Latham, the ALP needs to piss him off asap.

On the topic about Perrottet as NSW Premier, one thing I find bizarre and even frankly a bit amusing is how easily triggered many on the left are by the concept of a religious political leader. I hate using the term "triggered" with its Trumpist overtones, but it does seem accurate in this instance, as I am referring to a particularly instinctual aversive psychological reaction. This is seen often in discussions about Scott Morrison - it doesn't take long for many left-wingers to bring up the fact he belongs to a wacky, happy-clappy denomination. I mean, yes, I personally do look askance at the style of worship Morrison's church engages in. But as he doesn't appear to let his religious beliefs dominate his politics, I think, so what?

As an example of the extreme overreaction that I am referring to, there was a question today on the ABC Live blog about Perrottet becoming leader, along the lines of someone expressing concern that "As a Jewish, assigned female at birth, nonbinary person, what does this mean for me?" And I'm thinking, "What exactly do they think he's going to do?" No, Perrotet is not going send minorities to concentration camps, mandate conversion therapy, or ban the Mardi Gras. And I say this as a gay male of multi-ethnic background. I'm not in NSW, but if I was I wouldn't now be in fear that some sort of Opus Dei-affiliated secret police are about to "disappear" me in the middle of the night.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but do you really think Morrison's religion bears no effect on his actions?

Not sure if this is the right thread, but do you really think Morrison's religion bears no effect on his actions?

Id say there is a fair bit of “Prosperity Theology” in everything Morrison holds dear;
  • Locking up refugees
  • Robodebt
  • Chasing down JobSeeker recipients - exempting JobKeeper recipients
Etc.

Every decision he makes is picking winners based on his own ideology.

kergulen is kidding him/her self - obviously a happy clapper as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back