Opinion Hypothetical 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea if Jeka could play CHF or you just putting him there to get him on the field & lack of other positions to list him in?

Who is playing 2nd Ruck? Lewis?

If Jeka is shaping up to be a strong marking option like is being reported then I hope he plays at CHF.

Big Boy can ruck around the ground but let Jeka and Lewis do it in the forward 50.

I actually think half-back is our strongest area. Sicily is arguably the best rebounding defender in the game with his kicking. Scrimshaw is a Birchall clone. Impey is at his most damaging rebounding form the back half with his line breaking ability and Greaves looked super impressive in his three games. Add in Downie and we are stacked.

Half-back is important, very, but really, how many top 15 or 20 players in the game are a half-back flank? Day played midfield as a junior, but got pushed out because of his frame. If he can put on weight, we desperately need him to project as a midfielder for our future. That starts by moving up-to the wing... Fyfe was a stick early days.
Couldn't agree more.

Our side is strong in the "auxilliary" positions such as half back (Day, Scrimshaw, etc) and Half Forward (Gunston, Bruest, etc) but we are really weak in the midfield.

Its like a hotted up Hyundai Excel with the full body works and spoiler but with the original 1.5L tinpot engine still banging away under the hood!

We desparetly need to get some class, run, size and grunt in the middle otherwise we will be continuously chasing the other sides backside all game.

is it confirmed Gunston and Breust miss rd 1? with Mitchell having a shoulder complaint? and Sicily out with an ACL

Round 1

B: DGB, Hartigan, Day
HB: Scrimshaw, Frost, Greaves

C: Phillips, Worpel, Downie
R: McEvoy, JOM, Cousins

HF: Moore, TOB, Wingard
F: Hardwick, Lewis, Burgoyne

INT: Scully, Shiels, Impey, ?

(Ceglar, Morrison, CJ) as emergencies

its so hard filling out the forward line, i have no idea how were going to kick a winning score with only Gunston and Breust proven goal scorers and they are both likely to miss round 1 i think?

its hard to fill out a starting 22 with a few guys missing, we're going to rely on guys who are not up to the standard again as well as having a few starting 22 that are not up to the standard needed for finals, but im sure they will try their best.

unproven talent we have that could play at some time...
Nash - yet to prove himself, could be his last chance to play good footy
Hanrahan - had a couple of games where he poached a few goals, but 16 games and 10 goals is not a great return for a player who offers little but goal kicking
Morris - 4 games and 1 goal, has looked off the pace, but is getting opportunity, SANFL u18s is the worst metric to recruit goal kickers from imo
Maginness - in his 1 game showed some good signs, but once again low production, low production could halt his progression, he should work on that above anything else
Reeves - finally getting close to AFL playing weight, could debut if our rucks disappoint again this season
Koschitzke - after 2 injury riddled years, he needs to get a good run of games or else he will be another player where injury has ruined their careers, has the ability, but body is letting him down
Pepper - could debut in the forward line because we have a lot of vacancies atm
Jeka - could play the TOB role of contesting and leading, might get a chance?
S.Mitchell/Brockman/Saunders - they could debut seeing as we have opportunities all around our forward line, depending on form, i personally would debut them opposite to where they were drafted.

guys in our 22 and emergencies that i dont think are guaranteed a spot - TOB, Cousins, Moore, Scully, Morrison, Ceglar, CJ, Shiels

i think Hardwick going forward might be a change he needs as he is getting stale back there and lacks some pace, but he could be more creative forward, the last 2 years his form has gone off, whether its a motivation thing or a personal change, he has become less aggressive on field.

were in a position of transition and we might need to play Hartigan, Phillips, DGB and Downie straight away in our starting 22.

from my PoV this is how i see our list, but things can change depending on form and development ect:

Top Tier: McEvoy, Breust, Gunston, Wingard, T.Mitchell, Frost, Sicily*, Phillips, Worpel, Day
Solid Tier: Burgoyne, Hartigan, JOM, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Greaves, Impey, Lewis(he needs to be told he is the #1 forward and some belief shown in him to give him a genuine chance of establishing himself imo, at least for a year or so to get the confidence to play that role)
High Ranked Development Tier: DGB, Downie, Koschitzke, Jeka, Maginness (showing some good form or are highly valued from the recent draft)

Unsure Development Tier: Reeves, S.Mitchell, Brockman, Saunders, Pepper
Fringe Tier: Shiels, Scully, Patton, TOB, Hartley, Morrison, Moore, CJ, Brooksby
Struggling Tier: Howe, Nash, Hanrahan, Morris

Last edited:
is it confirmed Gunston and Breust miss rd 1? with Mitchell having a shoulder complaint? and Sicily out with an ACL

Round 1

its so hard filling out the forward line, i have no idea how were going to kick a winning score with only Gunston and Breust proven goal scorers and they are both likely to miss round 1 i think?

its hard to fill out a starting 22 with a few guys missing, we're going to rely on guys who are not up to the standard again as well as having a few starting 22 that are not up to the standard needed for finals, but im sure they will try their best.

Hanrahan - had a couple of games where he poached a few goals, but 16 games and 10 goals is not a great return for a player who offers little but goal kicking
Morris - 4 games and 1 goal, has looked off the pace, but is getting opportunity, SANFL u18s is the worst metric to recruit goal kickers from imo
Maginness - in his 1 game showed some good signs, but once again low production, low production could halt his progression, he should work on that above anything else
Reeves - finally getting close to AFL playing weight, could debut if our rucks disappoint again this season
Koschitzke - after 2 injury riddled years, he needs to get a good run of games or else he will be another player where injury has ruined their careers, has the ability, but body is letting him down
S.Mitchell/Brockman/Saunders - they could debut seeing as we have opportunities all around our forward line, depending on form, i personally would debut them opposite to where they were drafted.

guys in our 22 and emergencies that i dont think are guaranteed a spot - TOB, Cousins, Moore, Scully, Morrison, Ceglar, CJ, Shiels

i think Hardwick going forward might be a change he needs as he is getting stale back there and lacks some pace, but he could be more creative forward, the last 2 years his form has gone off, whether its a motivation thing or a personal change, he has become less aggressive on field.

were in a position of transition and we might need to play Hartigan, Phillips, DGB and Downie straight away in our starting 22.

from my PoV this is how i see our list, but things can change depending on form and development ect:

Top Tier: McEvoy, Breust, Gunston, Wingard, T.Mitchell, Frost, Sicily*, Phillips, Worpel, Day
Solid Tier: Burgoyne, Hartigan, JOM, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Greaves, Impey, Lewis(he needs to be told he is the #1 forward and some belief shown in him to give him a genuine chance of establishing himself imo, at least for a year or so to get the confidence to play that role)
High Ranked Development Tier: DGB, Downie, Koschitzke, Jeka, Maginness (showing some good form or are highly valued from the recent draft)

Fringe Tier: Shiels, Scully, Patton, TOB, Hartley, Morrison, Moore, CJ, Brooksby
Interesting thoughts in there but have to pick you up on Shiels. Fringe tier indicates they only play if spots allow. Shiels I think is still one of the first names on the board as far as Clarko is concerned. His best is still very good, and we are crying out for experience given last years exodus.

Interesting thoughts in there but have to pick you up on Shiels. Fringe tier indicates they only play if spots allow. Shiels I think is still one of the first names on the board as far as Clarko is concerned. His best is still very good, and we are crying out for experience given last years exodus.

Experience didn't help us at all last season and Shiels had his worst season in our colours. He's one of the players that should be looking over his shoulder with our younger players developing.

Round 1

Solid Tier
: Burgoyne, Hartigan, JOM, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Greaves, Impey, Lewis(he needs to be told he is the #1 forward and some belief shown in him to give him a genuine chance of establishing himself imo, at least for a year or so to get the confidence to play that role)

In my opinion you've been very generous to the top tier, those players I've currently bolded I'd have as solid tier.

Round 1

why so harsh on Morris? getting games before everyone else suggests the club rates him more than a lot of our other recruits — agree he looked off the pace but so did everyone from time to time last year (except Day and Gunston)

why so harsh on Morris? getting games before everyone else suggests the club rates him more than a lot of our other recruits — agree he looked off the pace but so did everyone from time to time last year (except Day and Gunston)

i dont know how to respond, im being harsh, but you agree he was off the pace, i guess i got it right then?

btw they were just my thoughts thrown out there, obviously everyone has different opinions and biases towards their favourite players ect.

i dont know how to respond, im being harsh, but you agree he was off the pace, i guess i got it right then?

btw they were just my thoughts thrown out there, obviously everyone has different opinions and biases towards their favourite players ect.

not your comments (which i agreed with) but putting him in the 'struggling' section after getting 4 games in his first season seems disproportionate. I think he has the edge to his game that could develop him into a very good small pressure fwd. I certainly don't think he's in the same tier as the 22-23 year olds who have had ~4 years of development underneath them

EG, in my opinion Finn was way off of it in his first game and it took him a lot longer for him to get a debut than Tank. So I would say he struggled more than Morris did in his first season, but as a forum we are all very high on Finn so as you say, biases and what not

I'd have Shiels well away from fringe. He's not pretty to watch but very solid.

I also think Howe is better than struggling and Morris is unsurew isn't he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1

If we don’t kick scores we finish closer to the bottom we all think we need a injection of talent so it’s not the worst thing.

B: Greaves, Hartigan, Hardwick
HB: Impey, Frost, Scrimshaw

C: Phillips, Worpel, Day
R: Ceglar/BB, JOM, Cousins

F: Breust, Lewis, Burgoyne

INT: Downie/DGB, Shiels, Finn/Mitchell, Cj

Given everything that's happened with our list I can see us starting the season with a more youthful lineup than we have come to expect from Clarko.
Versatility is what we'll need from players this season and I think this mix allows us a fair bit of it, whilst also (hopefully) allowing a good core of younger players to gel playing a faster paced/more aggressive game than what we saw last year.
I'm hoping DGB comes on early- due to his height I hope he'll be the player that convinces the coaching staff that BB is best used as a ruck/resting forward (him and TOB to share the load mostly).

Him,Downie,Greaves,Scrimshaw,Hardwick,Cj,Day are all <24 and I think will be the crux of our back half for the next six to eight years.

Our midfield mix is the interesting section as always. If Mitchell misses early I hope that leads to Finn getting more exposure. The wing role that has been a massive strength of our list for so long is going to end up being our least experienced role (aside from kpf's) this year and I wager going to be the position fans have the most joy watching. Philips is a very good player, and I'm hoping Day has the smarts to join him early on, whilst Moore/Jom/Downie all join in playing through that area.
I think Worpel will take another step forward this year after a down year last year, with Cuz to put pressure for a permanent spot in the mix for this season. JOM,Moore,Worpel,Cuz,Finn, Wingard and Shiels all have the ability to rest forward and I think we'll see that happening a lot this year- especially as our small forward stocks are thin/inexperienced again this year.
I'm hoping Brockman spends the first part of the season in the VFL before coming in to play in Burgoyne's 400th before taking his spot in the side moving forward. For us to rebound quickly we need to have one or two of the small forwards on our list come good this season- my money is on Brockman showing signs, and Morris to have improved his tank compared to last season and to become a wrecking ball tackler.

By the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if Shiels, BB/Ceglar, and Burgoyne are all out of the starting 22 and I really hope this eventuates.
Absolute cherry on top for this development minded season (at least in my eyes) will be if we can have Jeka get 5+ games under his belt too. If we can have DGB, Jeka and Lewis all cement themselves at KPP in our side for the next 10 years we're going to be going a long way towards our next finals tilt.

I'm hoping we can add to our midfield mix with our first pick in this years draft- a Sonsie,Rachele or Sinn type would go very nicely (I don't think we're going to be in with a shot for Horne) and once we've done that I think we will have 20/22 players who will feature in our next premiership already on our list.

Last edited:
B: Greaves, Hartigan, Hardwick
HB: Impey, Frost, Scrimshaw

C: Phillips, Worpel, Day
R: Ceglar/BB, JOM, Cousins

F: Breust, Lewis, Burgoyne

INT: Downie/DGB, Shiels, Finn/Mitchell, Cj

Given everything that's happened with our list I can see us starting the season with a more youthful lineup than we have come to expect from Clarko.
Versatility is what we'll need from players this season and I think this mix allows us a fair bit of it, whilst also (hopefully) allowing a good core of younger players to gel playing a faster paced/more aggressive game than what we saw last year.
I'm hoping DGB comes on early- due to his height I hope he'll be the player that convinces the coaching staff that BB is best used as a ruck/resting forward (him and TOB to share the load mostly).

Him,Downie,Greaves,Scrimshaw,Hardwick,Cj,Day are all
Our midfield mix is the interesting section as always. If Mitchell misses early I hope that leads to Finn getting more exposure. The wing role that has been a massive strength of our list for so long is going to end up being our least experienced role (aside from kpf's) this year and I wager going to be the position fans have the most joy watching. Philips is a very good player, and I'm hoping Day has the smarts to join him early on, whilst Moore/Jom/Downie all join in playing through that area.
I think Worpel will take another step forward this year after a down year last year, with Cuz to put pressure for a permanent spot in the mix for this season. JOM,Moore,Worpel,Cuz,Finn, Wingard and Shiels all have the ability to rest forward and I think we'll see that happening a lot this year- especially as our small forward stocks are thin/inexperienced again this year.
I'm hoping Brockman spends the first part of the season in the VFL before coming in to play in Burgoyne's 400th before taking his spot in the side moving forward. For us to rebound quickly we need to have one or two of the small forwards on our list come good this season- my money is on Brockman showing signs, and Morris to have improved his tank compared to last season and to become a wrecking ball tackler.

By the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if Shiels, BB/Ceglar, and Burgoyne are all out of the starting 22 and I really hope this eventuates.
Absolute cherry on top for this development minded season (at least in my eyes) will be if we can have Jeka get 5+ games under his belt too. If we can have DGB, Jeka and Lewis all cement themselves at KPP in our side for the next 10 years we're going to be going a long way towards our next finals tilt.

I'm hoping we can add to our midfield mix with our first pick in this years draft- a Sonsie,Rachele or Sinn type would go very nicely (I don't think we're going to be in with a shot for Horne) and once we've done that I think we will have 20/22 players who will feature in our next premiership already on our list.

Hopefully if we are bottom or close to it come mid season we can get a kid that is killing it that would go top 10 in this years so we can double dip.

If we don’t kick scores we finish closer to the bottom we all think we need a injection of talent so it’s not the worst thing.

I'm expecting a bottom 4 finish again, already average team without our best forward and defender for the bulk of the season. As you said though it may not be the worst thing.

B Impey Hartigan Hardwick
HB Scrimshaw Frost Day
C Phillips Mitchell Finn
R Ceglar Jaeger Worpel
HF Moore TOB Wingard
F Breust Lewis Burgoyne
Int. Shiels Mcevoy Cousins Jiath

Our back 6 here looks good (which it will need to be) and we need Day on HBF for his kicking including kicking out from points. Wingard to rotate through mids and Moore and CJ to rotate on other wing. Big Boy to play ruck and forward, one of our best marks and set shots for goal, hopefully Ceglar finds form or won’t last long. Cousins showed he can play forward as well last year in patches as well as in the midfield. At least this side has more pace which is badly needed

I'm expecting a bottom 4 finish again, already average team without our best forward and defender for the bulk of the season. As you said though it may not be the worst thing.

Is Jeff on board with this? Some of his public messaging at times of rebuild have been unfortunate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back