Autopsy I swear there was a patch of footy where we hit like 8 short kicks in a row in the third quarter - Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Three areas of improvement that would see us become vaguely competitive.

Back Six need to work together, almost without exception its one on one and we never have a second defender come in to give a chop out. To busy guarding an opponent while watching a teammate get slaughtered.
When we do win the footy in the backline we just kick it long down the line, this must stop. Short kicks and create an overlap and an emphasis on retaining the footy is desperately needed.
Tackling, the number of missed or ineffectual tackles is an utter embarrassment. Take the arm in the tackle, how hard is it? Every other team seems to be able to do with with great effect.

No one ahead of the footy because of the defensive press. We press up way, way too defensively and let them wall us in. It wasn't effort, our blokes were streaming forward but they aren't quick enough to make up 20-30m on blokes.

This is the start of that chain. All our blokes are loaded too defensively. 6-7 port blokes walling us in:

View attachment 1399906

The plan sucks mate.
To be fair I’ve seen this exact scenario play out in lots of AFL teams and it is 100% on coaching. It is pointless having Larkey that far in defense. If he stays in the goal square you think Port will leave him unattended? Coaches nowadays over coach so much. If you apply any logic to it you must say the full forward stays at full forward. F ‘n’ hell

I’ll be there with a mate that comes with me every week, he’s a pies supporter but can’t watch them because he gets too stressed. He’s been a North member for about 7 years now.

I’ll be reminding those that didn’t have the stomach to ride out the bad times when the good times inevitably come.
I think it’s pretty fortunate that next weeks game is on election night, in fact the second half will overlap with the coverage. I’m still gonna get to as many games as I can, * sake remember covid?? Surely the lesson is that if you can you always go, you always do, you always show up if you can. We might be the worst side of the 21st century and we might have to rebuild this rebuild but s**t stopping going to the footy is for Carlton supporters.

To be fair I’ve seen this exact scenario play out in lots of AFL teams and it is 100% on coaching. It is pointless having Larkey that far in defense. If he stays in the goal square you think Port will leave him unattended? Coaches nowadays over coach so much. If you apply any logic to it you must say the full forward stays at full forward. F ‘n’ hell
Agreed mate. We're not on our lonesome in doing this. But we are on our lonesome in how frequently it happens. The Bulldogs for example have a similar defensive press, maybe not quite as defensive, but more so than a lot of other clubs. But they use the wings and have 3-5 outlets rather than 1-2, to buy themselves a little bit of time to allow hook leads and running into a paddock.

We're the only club I've seen this year where we emphasise using the corridor but are structured defensively in a way that means those corridor assaults will more often than not be butchered.

Hawks, WC, Syd and Carl are the only games we've been a chance in at half time this year. Bris, Doggies, Cats, Freo and Port it was over by quarter time. 5 games where it was an inevitable result after 30 minutes.

18,24,13,15,16,16,14,9,16 is how many scoring shots we've had each round. That's just over 15 per game.

23,19,41,21,34,36,29,27,30 is how many scoring shots we've had against us each round. That's just under 29 per game.

So we can't go with teams early and make it a contest. We can't generate nearly enough shots on goal to apply scoreboard pressure and we can't defend nearly well enough to make it possible to stay in games we've taken past quarter time.

Funny that our second lowest shots on goal game for the year was against Sydney we stayed in that one for longer than we probably should have based off our accuracy.

How long will it take to bring our offensive numbers up and defensive numbers down. Would be a tiny bit easier to cop a 10 goal loss if we were at least kicking 10+ goals ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a very optimistic man but jesus christ it's hard to find some positives with our team at the moment.

• No sign of a game plan.
  • Shocking skills...worst I've ever seen. 6 years ago it was only a few players that were a concern (and any kick I50). Now it's pretty much everyone.
  • The desire to run both ways.
  • Tackling an pressure is woeful. Teams go end to end against us every week with ease. Training drill for them.
  • The list management decisions. They are deadset gutless for backing in McGuinness only to not play him when he's needed.
  • There is a rot of mediocrity at this club and I don't see how we get rid of it.
  • So disappointed in LMac and Ziebell. We need so much more from them. It's disgusting. If anyone should be putting in and giving everything it's those 2. They are supposed to be shinboners through and through
The umpiring...the non-call to larkey and then the free against him. Not being paid for clear HTB decisions. Players pushed in the back repeatedly (gray did it to turner a couple of times). The free against Anderson when laid a perfect tackle on a port player - 1 of the worst decisions I've ever seen. The umpire paid a ******* free because Jed was too rough. The club should be publicly asking the AFL for a please explain for that tackle.
I won't address the entire post but a couple of things; I didn't think Ziebell was too bad. He was trying to do his job and captain the team. He can't be everywhere at once. He need's some assistance and wasn't getting it because they were too busy chasing their own tails, literally. As for the umpiring, I don't know what you do about that. The Travis Boak holding the ball was idiotic, twice, but you can't say anything. The umpiring situation has gone beyond ridiculous, and smack's of reactions from sulks. If you don't like what goes with it, don't do it.

I bet you’d be saying the same thing if they were two white males right? Not just a woman who only just took over. 🤡
Making accusations with no evidence, that's a sexiest thing to say, pull your head in.

I will need someone at AFL to explain to me why Sam Powell Pepper was allowed to blatantly interfere with the North ruckman with impunity all day?
Seemed to be a set play the maggots and Power had been working on.
It did look like a set play. It was pathetic that the umpires just let it go on and on and on and on............

I reckon we looked much better than the score board suggested. To me the skill level seems to have improved. Still a lot of frustrating turnovers, but I reckon most of those were poor decision making rather than outright skill errors. Kicking to the wrong position, 2 on 1 etc.

Clearances:
45 - 68 (North)
Inside 50s
61 - 33 (Port)

So we dominate clearances yet get smashed on uncontested possessions.

Lost disposals by 84 possessions.

He’s a liability in contests. He’s a liability with ball in hand. He goes to ground all the time. He knocks over teammates leaving opponents free to kick easy goals.

He’s not good enough.
Happy to disagree on his output. Never going to be a superstar but hardly our worst in the last fortnight.

We struggle to build moment and we cannot build scoreboard pressure.

We really struggle to arrest momentum.

There was hints at method and ball movement in the second and third.

We have some significant structural and personnel issues.
So what your trying to say is that we’re completely fuked!!!!!!!😆😆😆😆😆😆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back