Free Agency Jacob Townsend [joins Essendon as a delisted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

What have I missed? I admit I haven’t seen him much this season but last finals he was looking like a diamond in the rough, what’s happened in one season for him to be panned this heavily?
I think he must have punched the s**t out of this premiers17 bloke or rooted his missus or something.
He played an important role and it was one that was as difficult as any you could play. Jack was a one man show and it allowed 2 and 3 blokes against him. Townsend’s role was effectively to use himself as a battering ram in an attempt to block for him, make space etc. His work rate is second to none. Obviously it’s to the expense of his own game statistically but it was a way for to find himself a spot in the team, and become a premiership player. He played some very handy footy for us in the role this season too but it’s taking its toll, and it was always going to have a limited shelf life.
The bloke won the Liston last season too so he knows how to get the pill, he’s just a very selfless team first player that’s all.
Whether there is a role at Richmond now I’m not sure, who knows what they have in mind.
But there are clubs screaming out for some real physical presence and I could see quite a few different roles he could fill.
Worries me though the amount of depth that could walk out of Punt Rd by the end of all this.
What is it Lloyd, Miles, Ellis and Conca already?
Short sighted people see them as fringe players, list cloggers, blah blah but as a collective it’s a different story. Makes me wonder if Richmond actually do have something in mind for Townsend.

Since we delisted Menzel ( which I'm not happy about ) I'd be more then happy to take him. On, as we need that midsize forward. Has there been any club linked to Townsend?

Since we delisted Menzel ( which I'm not happy about ) I'd be more then happy to take him. On, as we need that midsize forward. Has there been any club linked to Townsend?
There was talk about Geelong and a couple of others actually. Wouldn’t surprise me at all because they’ve been screaming out for that type of player, which pretty much was the end of Menzel unfortunately as he’s pretty much the exact opposite.

There was talk about Geelong and a couple of others actually. Wouldn’t surprise me at all because they’ve been screaming out for that type of player, which pretty much was the end of Menzel unfortunately as he’s pretty much the exact opposite.
I see your a Tigers fan, what do you think of Richmond not giving him a extended contract?

I see your a Tigers fan, what do you think of Richmond not giving him a extended contract?
Simple

He will not be on the list in 2020
Everybody loves Jacob as he is a premiership player at our club and a Hard Nut that will give all on the field and just about kill everything that gets in his way. But is a limited footballer

He was drafted as an inside big mid but just doesnt get enough of the ball and his tank is not upto the high standard as well as being a stop gap defensive foward. Had a sensational 8 week block at the end of 2017 but has not been able to replicate this again and teams have worked him out

Sydney , Geelong , Gold Coast have been linked
Happy for him to leave if he gets a longer deal and can make a career out of whats left

Respect Guns view but he can find the footy and won a Liston.
But he’s right Richmond are happy to keep him but he has the clubs blessing to explore avenues because opportunities could be limited.

Last edited:
Simple

He will not be on the list in 2020
Everybody loves Jacob as he is a premiership player at our club and a Hard Nut that will give all on the field and just about kill everything that gets in his way. But is a limited footballer

He was drafted as an inside big mid but just doesnt get enough of the ball and his tank is not upto the high standard as well as being a stop gap defensive foward. Had a sensational 8 week block at the end of 2017 but has not been able to replicate this again and teams have worked him out

Sydney , Geelong , Gold Coast have been linked
Happy for him to leave if he gets a longer deal and can make a career out of whats left
Prefer him to GHS , but then GHS is from SA .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was rubbish when Tigers were good last year even worse this year. He is a reflection of the team itself, downhill skiers!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

LOL Downhill skiers with a premiership, Now that you have my attention what do you call a team that makes top 4 with only beating 1 top eight team

Yes thats what you call Down Hill Skier at their best

No go and put your teeth back in

Can’t say I ever thought I’d read Jacob Townsend referred to as a downhill skier!!
You probably couldn’t have found a more opposite player in the entire league? Pisser.

I recon the guy is getting the most out of his ability. Deserves a spot somewhere. With rookies being able to play straight off the bat now I'd expect him to play at least 10 games next year at most clubs. Tell him his role and leave him to it.

I recon the guy is getting the most out of his ability. Deserves a spot somewhere. With rookies being able to play straight off the bat now I'd expect him to play at least 10 games next year at most clubs. Tell him his role and leave him to it.
Not at Richmond , he can go to Carlton both are useless

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Respect Guns view but he can find the footy and won a Liston.
But he’s right Richmond are happy to keep him but he has the clubs blessing to explore avenues because opportunities could be limited.
Hes only a VFL player full stop , he played in the Grand Final cause he was at the right place at the rite time simple

Hes only a VFL player full stop , he played in the Grand Final cause he was at the right place at the rite time simple

Agree with this.
Reminds me of Jon Simpkin for us - played in a premiership in 2013, managed another 15ish games in 2014/2015 then went over to the depleted Bombers in 2016 and only managed 4 games that year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Geelong picks him up. They love filling their list with delisted free agents and cloggers. They need their 'fix' again, it's been a long session between drinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back