Player Watch Jake Soligo - Re-Signed to End of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Could that something be that clubs are anticipating players wanting big pay rises so trying to lock them down early, and the players are willing to accept that for long term security?

I don’t think either side accepts anything 5 minutes after the ink is dry. That’s the potential issue

With a front loaded contract, in the back years players agitate for new deals despite already having received the money promised early on

With back loaded contracts, teams are often trying to get the player to renegotiate on what’s due despite them having played cheap in the early years

There’s no acceptance in long term contracts, just what have you done for me lately

Congrats on your first Brownlow vote. I'm guessing you join a fairly elite club of players that got tactically subbed off in a game they polled a Charlie. 13 contested possessions and 6 marks in 73% game time.

You've achieved in 37 games what David Mackay took 248 games to do, and what Luke Brown never did in 189 games!

May there be many more!

Last edited:

Congrats on your first Brownlow vote. I'm guessing you join a fairly elite club of players that got tactically subbed off in a game they polled a Charlie. 13 contested possessions and 6 marks in 73% game time.

You've achieved in 37 games what David Mackay took 248 games to do, and what Luke Brown never did in 189 games!

May there be many more!
There was a Sydney player who took 3 votes in a game this year that was subbed off at 3/4 time.......

There was a Sydney player who took 3 votes in a game this year that was subbed off at 3/4 time.......
Amartey and I think he only played 50% TOG and was closer to a half time sub.

Our own board rated Soligo's game well, but had Jones, Sloane, Pedlar and Michalanney ahead of him. We barely rated Laird, but he polled 2 Charlies and 1 Coaches vote. Darcy Moore (clearly BOG in my view) got a 5/4 from the coaches, but went unnoticed by the umpires, who gave Tom Mitchell 3 votes.
Go figure.

1695768543850.png

1695768087587.png

Has anyone umpired before?

It's bloody tough to pick out best players. It's literally the last thing on your mind.

Those who were around the ball a lot.
Those who have some unique identifier that you can remember - coloured boots, weird hair, tall, tattoos - tend to stick in the memory.
Can barely remember the first 3 quarters too

Should be taken away from the umpires. If you were inventing the game now from scratch you'd never set it up so the umpires decide best players but it's carried forward only due to tradition.

Judging the value of a midfielder's game vs forwards vs defenders is another challenge, regardless of who's given the votes.

Last edited:

It's bloody tough to pick out best players. It's literally the last thing on your mind.

Those who have some unique identifier that you can remember - coloured boots, weird hair, tall, tattoos - tend to stick in the memory.

Should be taken away from the umpires. If you were inventing the game now from scratch you'd never set it up so the umpires decide best players but it's carried forward only due to tradition.

Judging the value of a midfielder's game vs forwards vs dedenders is another challenge, regardless of who's given the votes.
I've run boundary and waved the flags a bit for junior games, and you make a fair point.
My post wasn't really meant as criticism of the umps, more to highlight the different perspectives of supporters, coaches and umpires, since we have a fairly rudimentary metric on each of their collective views.

Judging the value of a midfielder's game vs forwards vs dedenders is another challenge, regardless of who's given the votes.
Maybe the umpires should be given a short list of those who polled coaches votes. But without the votes and in alphabetical order. They can give their own 3,2,1 from there.

Yes. However, what is the actual mechanism? Is it just the view of the chief umpire? An average of the four umps now may be more appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. However, what is the actual mechanism? Is it just the view of the chief umpire? An average of the four umps now may be more appropriate.
Another thought might be to give every umpire a 3,2,1 vote and tally them from there. Using boundary, goal and even reserve umpires would provide vastly different vantage points than just using the umpires who are always near the ball...like an onball player...who always gets the votes.
Just thoughts...

Another thought might be to give every umpire a 3,2,1 vote and tally them from there. Using boundary, goal and even reserve umpires would provide vastly different vantage points than just using the umpires who are always near the ball...like an onball player...who always gets the votes.
Just thoughts...
They did this back in 1976 and 1977, but of course there were only two field umpires back in those days...

Judging the value of a midfielder's game vs forwards vs defenders is another challenge, regardless of who's given the votes.
I'm a goal umpire, and the umpires get to the end oft he game and are asking, who did you like.

They have no clue. I have no clue in the goals. A few years back I was there going, this guy has had a decent game (3 or 4 goals)

Didn't realise he had a bag at the other end and kicked 10. :/

You dont notice. It's why people like Ollie Wines will poll well. They just get the ball and the umpires just associate disposals with good game simply because they notice them. Umpires wouldn't notice they may have been trash. They look at the next contest, not the effectiveness.

I'm a goal umpire, and the umpires get to the end oft he game and are asking, who did you like.

They have no clue. I have no clue in the goals. A few years back I was there going, this guy has had a decent game (3 or 4 goals)

You dont notice. It's why people like Ollie Wines will poll well. They just get the ball and the umpires just associate disposals with good game simply because they notice them. Umpires wouldn't notice they may have been trash. They look at the next contest, not the effectiveness.
The brownlow is actually a s**t award accordingly.

I've umpired and I've coached.

Who's playing well for both sides means nothing in being good in the first role and everything in the latter. When I'm umpiring with other former players, we probably aren't that far off picking the obvious good players. But we probably won't get the players performing important but low stat roles, eg a good defensive role on the other side's most dangerous forward.

When I've umpired with umpires who haven't played much before, you get suggestions for the 3 best performed mids from the last quarter (generally 2 from the winning side and 1 from the losing side, unless there's a blow out).

I'd value coaches votes way ahead of Brownlow votes. Don't know why we don't rename the coaches award after some Victorian legend and make it the showcase for GF week.

I've umpired and I've coached.

Who's playing well for both sides means nothing in being good in the first role and everything in the latter. When I'm umpiring with other former players, we probably aren't that far off picking the obvious good players. But we probably won't get the players performing important but low stat roles, eg a good defensive role on the other side's most dangerous forward.

When I've umpired with umpires who haven't played much before, you get suggestions for the 3 best performed mids from the last quarter (generally 2 from the winning side and 1 from the losing side, unless there's a blow out).

I'd value coaches votes way ahead of Brownlow votes. Don't know why we don't rename the coaches award after some Victorian legend and make it the showcase for GF week.
Yep

Simply put, it needs to be someone (or some people) where analysing the performance of players is their primary and only role.

Not a side hustle lobbed onto their to do list as it is now.

As they should.

Aussie rules is one of the hardest sports in the world to umpire, why we make it harder by sticking to traditions like making them do the votes and bounce the footy is baffling.

The soligo pick is a good reminder for me not to get too annoyed about draft picks.

On the night I was flat we'd picked a small mid from vic metro without any outstanding physical attributes.

Now he's just about my favourite young crow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back