Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder where "supposed to be a top 15 pock" came from?

My main memory of us selecting him was that most draft watchers had barely heard of him. Of course the actual AFL recruitment teams know way more than internet pundits, but even so I don't remember any kind of "wow we were shocked that he slipped" or "the Crows have got a bargain here" kinds of comments.
There were plenty of those comments for Taylor, especially from Sheehan

So what you are saying is we relied upon a 3rd party not to fail us to succeed instead of removing all doubt ourselves. Didn't the same group of players fail badly in a winable game against Essendon? Or what about the losses to Richmond, Collingwood x 2, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Essendon Giants x 2, Melbourne, Brisbane. No none of those losses matter, Nicks and the players were f$%king perfect. Just the umpire.

Like how low has the bar fallen. We'd never have accepted last season in a zillion years and Nicks would have been run out of town by now for this year. But the bar has fallen so low, people keep creating and accepting the excuses.
One of the Collingwood games was also most likely lost because 4 umpires on the field didn't see what 40 odd thousand in the crowd and a million or more on the teev did see.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder where "supposed to be a top 15 pick" came from?

My main memory of us selecting him was that most draft watchers had barely heard of him. Of course the actual AFL recruitment teams know way more than internet pundits, but even so I don't remember any kind of "wow we were shocked that he slipped" or "the Crows have got a bargain here" kinds of comments.
The way I interpreted that is based on his ability he should have expected to go top 15 but because of his height and testing he didn’t. But could be wrong

I just read the full article and they clarify the top 15 expectation with this quote:

But Adelaide rated its chances of drafting Soligo as slim.

People close to him thought GWS would pounce with its second selection, No. 15.

The Crows expected him to land at Richmond, which had three consecutive picks during the second round.

But the Giants opted for Central District key defender Leek Aleer in a surprise call, while the Tigers went with Soligo’s best mate Tyler Sonsie, Tasmanian utility Sam Banks and Dandenong Stingrays speedster Judson Clarke.

The reason they thought Richmond would take him was that he had played for Richmond's VFL side in his draft year as well, so they had plenty of opportunity to see him.

I remember being confused as to why he got an extension so quickly and his instant inclusion into the side when his preseason form was nothing special. Aside from his first two games, he's spent the rest of his career proving me wrong.

Yes, I remember posting when he and Rachele got extended at the same time that we were extending Soligo just to assure Rachele that his mate would be with him as well.

Bad call, me. At this stage I'd have Soligo twice over Rachele.

Didn't we try to trade away the Soligo pick at the last minute, but the AFL blocked it?

Thank you AFL
Yes - though I don't recall, did we do it when it was time for us to make the selection? Or earlier?

If it was when we were actually making the selection, that doesn't make it sound like we were all that keen on him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the land of make believe

Your recollection is correct, few had heard of him or were projecting him as anything unusual

Lucky for us that he flew under the radar
I was thinking about this and decided his current trade value is super high.
For example, would you trade him for pick 1 this year coming? I wouldn't at this stage.

I remember during the post draft interview Ogilvie saying something to the effect that when a players name comes forward there is usually a range of opinions on the player among the recruiting team. Some will rate the player highly to others not so much. When it came to Soligo, they were all 100% in agreement that he should be recruited.

Young Jakey is starting to get a lot of notice.

‘TOP-LINER WAITING TO HAPPEN’: ‘NEALE-LIKE’ STAR AFL’S MOST IMPROVED… AND CROWS WILL ‘BUILD AROUND’

Adelaide desperately needed an on-baller to ignite the team after its alarming early-year slump.

Jake Soligo has delivered in spades.

For not only could he be leading Adelaide’s best and fairest count after Round 8, he’d arguably be the AFL’s most improved player to date.

Soligo on Thursday night took his breakout season to another level, winning the prestigious Showdown Medal in Adelaide’s 30-point win over Port Adelaide.

The 21-year-old was in everything across all four quarters against Port and won some big contests — especially late — on his way to 28 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 10 tackles and six clearances.

It was Soligo’s latest strong performance in a brilliant purple patch since moving into the midfield full-time in Round 5, which has seen him average 27.2 disposals, 13.0 contested possessions and 6.0 clearances since.

More importantly, Adelaide has improved from 13th to a top-eight team for points from clearances.

In an era where some corners have questioned the Crows’ drafting, Soligo — who was selected with Pick 36 in 2021 — is looming as a genuine draft bargain.

Dual premiership Kangaroo David King is an unapologetic Soligo fan, labelling him “a top-liner waiting to happen” — and comparing him to another draft-bargain-turned-star.

“He reminds me of a very young Lachie Neale … low to the ground, take the game from inside to out,” King told Fox Footy on Thursday night.

“He’s had a massive impact on their clearance game since he’s been trusted with the keys to go in. They were in all sorts at the start of the year, they’d lost all their damage, all their flare from clearance. Now the results are back to where they were last year – and then the rest of their game becomes complimented by their ability to get their hands on the ball.

“I think they need to give this guy the keys to the midfield and let him become the man.

“I’m not saying he’s going to be a Brownlow Medallist like Lachie is, but he’s that style of player where often you can go through games where you don’t notice the quality of their work, but this guy is jumping off the page.”

The Crows last year were heavily reliant on Rory Laird and Jordan Dawson at the coalface. But since the inclusions of Soligo, Josh Rachele and Izak Rankine, Adelaide has become a more ominous and potent outfit.

And the scary thing is Soligo is only 45 games into his career.

“He now looks like the one midfielder they’re going to build around,” King said.

“The mail out of Adelaide about him throughout the pre-season was really strong. They were blown away by some of the things he was doing in some of their trial games and they thought he would just hit the ground running and he would’ve been this player four weeks earlier.”

Hawthorn legend Jason Dunstall added: “They (the Crows) needed to get a bit more variety and pep and life in there – and the more you see this guy play, the more you like.

“We do have to put it in perspective. He has only played a tick over 40 games, so he’s just starting to win a good share of the ball and he’s still coming to terms with what he’s capable of doing, how aggressive he can be with the ball.”

Captain Dawson said Soligo was “as cool as they come”, but also “super competitive and so clean”.

“His ability to win the ball in traffic and break out – it’s something we’ve seen for the last year, but he hasn’t really had the opportunities in the midfield as much,” Dawson told Fox Footy post-Showdown. “This year he’s probably just starting to get the recognition from outside the four walls.

“His year so far has been huge, he’s definitely been our best player, to be honest, the whole year.”

Last edited:
Haven't posted for yonks. Too disappointed.

But I must now!. What stands out with Jake is the "he is clean" comments. Yes he is, makes all the difference in the world. Keane is clean too. Gives them a massive head start on the dozens of plodders in this league at the moment.

I wonder where "supposed to be a top 15 pick" came from?

If anything those comments were directed to Taylor not Soligo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Also has added a burst of speed to his game this year which is a point of difference to the Sloane and Neale comparison, he is more like a shorter Pendlebury in terms of footy IQ and creativity around the ball.

Lachie Neale clone. Look at his pick ups and vision in traffic. He couldn’t be anymore like Lachie if he tried. Which is fantastic

Didn't we try to trade away the Soligo pick at the last minute, but the AFL blocked it?

Thank you AFL

No. We tried to trade in a pick that we already had traded out (can’t trade back in same pick) so we had to trade a different pick. I feel like we got Taylor with that one but can’t really recall

No. We tried to trade in a pick that we already had traded out (can’t trade back in same pick) so we had to trade a different pick. I feel like we got Taylor with that one but can’t really recall

I went back and checked, and yes, we tried to trade out the Soligo pick. The idea was that we had pick 36, and Melbourne had pick 39. They were desperate to trade ahead to get a particular player (assumed to be Blake Howes, who they ended up with anyway) and we were confident Soligo wouldn't go in the intervening picks. So the idea was we would trade backwards, get some future draft pick, and hopefully Soligo would last until pick 39.

However, pick 39 had actually come from us originally, as part of the four-way trade that allowed us to secure Melbourne's future 1st pick which we on-traded for Dawson. And there is a rule that prevents you from trading out a pick and then trading it back in again during the same trade period (to prevent clubs from trading out picks to avoid losing them in NGA/FS bids and then trading them straight back in again). So the AFL blocked it.

Ironically, the pick itself had originally come from Melbourne anyway, just in a previous trade period (we traded out some late picks from 2020 we weren't going to use into 2021). So we got blocked for taking our pick back from them, even though they had taken their pick back from us first.

Would Soligo have lasted until pick 39? Who knows. West Coast and North Melbourne had the two picks in between (they took Rhett Bazzo and Miller Bergman respectively). All's well that ends well, I guess!

We then subsequently traded out our 2022 3rd rounder to get back into the draft, which people assumed was because we wanted to take Draper. But we ended up taking Taylor instead.

If you want a bit of amusing light reading, here is the exact moment we tried to trade out pick 36, and then selected Soligo instead:

You can read how -thrilled- everyone was to have picked up yet another sub 6 foot player at the time, and how damn thirsty everyone was for Arlo Draper.

Last edited:
I went back and checked, and yes, we tried to trade out the Soligo pick. The idea was that we had pick 36, and Melbourne had pick 39. They were desperate to trade ahead to get a particular player (assumed to be Blake Howes, who they ended up with anyway) and we were confident Soligo wouldn't go in the intervening picks. So the idea was we would trade backwards, get some future draft pick, and hopefully Soligo would last until pick 39.

However, pick 39 had actually come from us originally, as part of the four-way trade that allowed us to secure Melbourne's future 1st pick which we on-traded for Dawson. And there is a rule that prevents you from trading out a pick and then trading it back in again during the same trade period (to prevent clubs from trading out picks to avoid losing them in NGA/FS bids and then trading them straight back in again). So the AFL blocked it.

Ironically, the pick itself had originally come from Melbourne anyway, just in a previous trade period (we traded out some late picks from 2020 we weren't going to use into 2021). So we got blocked for taking our pick back from them, even though they had taken their pick back from us first.

Would Soligo have lasted until pick 39? Who knows. West Coast and North Melbourne had the two picks in between (they took Rhett Bazzo and Miller Bergman respectively). All's well that ends well, I guess!

We then subsequently traded out our 2022 3rd rounder to get back into the draft, which people assumed was because we wanted to take Draper. But we ended up taking Taylor instead.

If you want a bit of amusing light reading, here is the exact moment we tried to trade out pick 36, and then selected Soligo instead:

You can read how -thrilled- everyone was to have picked up yet another sub 6 foot player at the time, and how damn thirsty everyone was for Arlo Draper.
Also a few thirsty for Nank, in fairness

Also has added a burst of speed to his game this year which is a point of difference to the Sloane and Neale comparison, he is more like a shorter Pendlebury in terms of footy IQ and creativity around the ball.
He's good, but not even close to Pendleburys skill and iq. He probably has the highest footy iq of any player I've ever watched (Sam Mitchell up there).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back