What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

catscollector

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Most forwards would have their goal averages go down in finals... They are coming up against good defences/defenders and arent going to be able to kick big bags against scrub teams.
You may want to check up on some of those players and their stats.
You will find most of the good ones are able to bring it in the finals as well. It is why most footy followers rate Toby Greene highly as he's been their most consistent forward in finals.
Cameron has been poor in big games. No excuses but he is now the main man and should be able to deliver in a way Tom Lynch did for Richmond when he was traded from Gold Coast.

Sttew

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 28, 2006
Who's asking?
AFL Club
Geelong
Just my opinion - but re the jumper number i would have given him number 10 ( if it was available )

Reason for that - i think he is the closest player Geelong have had to the great John Sharrock

Booming left foot kick - and how he moves half forward / centre half forward - he is probably a little bit bigger than Sharrock - but Sharrock did play one year quite a few games at FB- so he wasnt small either

But Cameron is like Sharrock - all class - dangerous - quick - long left foot kick - lets hope he kicks plenty of goals
Just reading this post makes me pinch myself and ask is Jeremy Cameron really playing for Geelong in 2021?

you pick one

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Just my opinion - but re the jumper number i would have given him number 10 ( if it was available )

Reason for that - i think he is the closest player Geelong have had to the great John Sharrock

Booming left foot kick - and how he moves half forward / centre half forward - he is probably a little bit bigger than Sharrock - but Sharrock did play one year quite a few games at FB- so he wasnt small either

But Cameron is like Sharrock - all class - dangerous - quick - long left foot kick - lets hope he kicks plenty of goals
How times have changed.

The Sharrock family's connection with Geelong began in 1962 when the Cats took 18-year-old John from Tooleybuc (near Swan Hill) on a boat trip to New Zealand in an attempt to secure the signature of the Murray League best-and-fairest winner.

Sharrock, who had left school at 14, was working on the family citrus farm, earning a quid a week and trapping a few rabbits to make a few shillings extra.

"Leo O'Brien rang me and said, 'Will you play for us?' I replied, 'Mr O'Brien, I'd love to, but I have no money, no shoes and no clothes'," Sharrock said.

"So they sent me into Sack's Drapery at Swan Hill to see a bloke called Jack Wheeler. I got a blazer, two pairs of pants, two shirts and some shoes. Then I said, 'Mr O'Brien, I have no money', so he gave me 50 pounds to go to New Zealand.

"It was a lot of money, but nothing compared to the 400 pounds they gave me when I signed and the chance to wear No. 10, which my idol Fred Flanagan had worn."

Sharrock played 20 games straight, including the 1963 premiership against Hawthorn. He was a star from the beginning, left-footed and devastating in his ability to turn a game from a forward flank.

By 1966 the knee injury that would end his career two years later at age 24 after 94 games was worrying him. Coach Peter Pianto moved Sharrock to full-back, then centre half-back, centre and centre half-forward.

By season's end he'd finished third in the Brownlow Medal behind St Kilda's Ian Stewart.

To right could play, some said he heard foot steps,one of those Alex Epis lined up on him at KP one Saturday arvo after touting Sharrock all week in the papers in that regard and was give a quick footy lesson when Sharrock took him apart in the first quarter and Epis as captain having to take himself off him.

Partridge

Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Just reading this post makes me pinch myself and ask is Jeremy Cameron really playing for Geelong in 2021?
Given how many have come across from other clubs I don’t see what’s so surprising.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
A relevant response only if you regard Cameron as no better than the many who have come across from other clubs
You didn't get this excited about Sam Blease?

The Unforgiven

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
You didn't get this excited about Sam Blease?
Hmmm, I certainly did! A ranga to replace the just retired Ling, with pace to burn that the incumbent could only dream of! Pity reality didn't match the hype! 🙄😂

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Hmmm, I certainly did! A ranga to replace the just retired Ling, with pace to burn that the incumbent could only dream of! Pity reality didn't match the hype! 🙄😂
Lesson for all DFA recruits. If they've been delisted by another team, especially a turd sandwich like Melbourne they're probably not any good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Patriots

Interesting.
Worth recalling that Ablett senior and Polly were nothing like each other as players, yet very dominant and game winners.
Still see #5 as perfect for Jeremy.

Sttew

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 28, 2006
Who's asking?
AFL Club
Geelong
It's yet to be proven. We've been told that every single acquisition has been outstanding from McIntosh and Rivers onwards (since 2012). In reality few have.
Put aside 2020. It was a challenging year for many AFL footballers in so many ways. I know one thing...no one needs to tell me that Jeremy Cameron is an uber talented footballer because I have seen what he can do. In terms of our experienced recruits, and on exposed talent, he'd be up there with Dangerfield and Ottens

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
It's yet to be proven. We've been told that every single acquisition has been outstanding from McIntosh and Rivers onwards (since 2012). In reality few have.
Dangerfield has been outstanding.
Rivers was very good.
Stanley has his Stanley moments but has still been miles better than any other ruck we have tried during the last 9 years.
Tuohy has been very good and very durable.
Henderson has always been high level for us when fit.
Rohan Dahlhaus etc have been perfectly fine considering what we paid for them (not much).

Apart from our failure to find a top shelf ruck we have clearly got a lot right.

goyoucatters

Premiership Player
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Dangerfield has been outstanding.
Rivers was very good.
Stanley has his Stanley moments but has still been miles better than any other ruck we have tried during the last 9 years.
Tuohy has been very good and very durable.
Henderson has always been high level for us when fit.
Rohan Dahlhaus etc have been perfectly fine considering what we paid for them (not much).

Apart from our failure to find a top shelf ruck we have clearly got a lot right.
There you go, rolling out those pesky facts again...

:rolleyes:

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
He can clearly be a good player, but whether the coach and team has the willingness and ability to modify our gameplan to the extent that it extracts the best from JC certainly remains to be seen.

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Patriots
He can clearly be a good player, but whether the coach and team has the willingness and ability to modify our gameplan to the extent that it extracts the best from JC certainly remains to be seen.
We have seen the best of Hawkins, Blicavs, Danger, Stewart, Stanley and Guthrie, all in very different roles and positions. No reason JC will not recapture his best.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
We have seen the best of Hawkins, Blicavs, Danger, Stewart, Stanley and Guthrie, all in very different roles and positions. No reason JC will not recapture his best.
We could've seen better from Hawkins if we'd moved the ball to him quick enough to avoid 3 on 1's; thankfully the Blitz wing experiment has run its course, and it's taken a few years to get the best out of Guthrie.

Nothing is guaranteed. The wrong strategy and / or decisions re: individual players can impede them as we've seen.

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Patriots
We could've seen better from Hawkins if we'd moved the ball to him quick enough to avoid 3 on 1's; thankfully the Blitz wing experiment has run its course, and it's taken a few years to get the best out of Guthrie.

Nothing is guaranteed. The wrong strategy and / or decisions re: individual players can impede them as we've seen.
Can argue that we saw the best of Guthrie because of how he was used in the past, and the opportunities that came to him this year.
Blic still produced great games on the wing this year and we made the GF.
There is always going to be pressure on delivery into our forward line, but now we have 2 KF's. Back to the Hawkins Pods days we hope.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Even Menegola and Parfitt released from starvation corner have lifted. Game plan /selections/ rotations all determine to a degree a players impact. GFC will make sure Cameron gets full exposure. I think they will continue with Guthrie /Menegola/Parfitt and maybe from next year Stewart off the chain. Then Higgins hopefully in a new role and Smith as a back up to anyone mentioned above.

And_ROOS

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
The thing about Cameron I found hilarious is people seem to think he won't get opportunity. When I saw people on other pages (generally from other flog clubs like Tiggies and Hawfies) that he won't recapture his form.

I watched a lot of football this year, including GWS, Cameron had a down year but being a key forward, getting delivery from a midfield who at times really didn't give a fu**, in a team that got pounded at times, isn't a good reflection on him.

The only way Cameron isn't in our top 2 goal kickers next year is either 1. he is played as a genuine CHF or higher up on the wing, or 2. He gets a serious injury.
If neither of those two unusual things occur, him and Hawkins will be our 2 main goal kickers next season.

Remove this Banner Ad