Player Watch Josh Thomas (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. History is littered with players who miss a season + and make a return. Daniel Menzel missed 3 years. Sadly, a few individuals are just anchored by their biases and can't make rational assessments of players.

I was a doubter regarding Thomas getting back into the seniors. It wasn't only the amount of time out (which can be compared to serious/repeat injuries), but time out of the system and away from the club. He and Keeffe missed all the internal developments, elite management and support, exposure to new systems and strategies, changes in game plans (and AFL rules!), no doubt endless meetings, bonding sessions, etc etc. To come back after two years, having missed all that, and still show some form, really is a credit to his mental strength and capacity to learn. He has surprised me. By comparison, Marty Clarke never really recovered his form after two years out of the system.

Last edited:
He has surprised me. I didn't think he'd make it back.

If wells, greenwood and pendlebury are out this week, he may even be required more in the midfield as he is very clean around stoppages.

I'm really impressed with how far his kicking has come. Kicking was always a question mark for me, but since his return he has kicked very well.

Because I'm not an idiot who swallows the excuse that they didn't know what they were ingesting.
These drug farked idiots wouldn't even know whether the drug was of assistance or not. As long as the pusher told them it was a silver bullet, then they would ingest.
And if you think differently, then ask yourself, even if you believe the story of illegal drugs being laced, then why after years of instruction not to take anything that they were not sure of the ingredients, did they suddenly take illicit drugs?
No, they knew what they were taking, the story was simply to reduce the punishment from four to two years.
The apparent fact that 90% of CFC followers believe such tripe makes me think that Mensa isn't coming knocking anytime soon.
Sorry but that's horseshit. On one hand you say they knew what they were taking but in the next breath you say they had nfi and were relying on some kind of shady dealer for their info on what it was. Then you accuse both of being drug ****ed, implying illicit drug use too.

Honestly, your self righteous preaching here is comical.

Because I'm not an idiot who swallows the excuse that they didn't know what they were ingesting.
These drug farked idiots wouldn't even know whether the drug was of assistance or not. As long as the pusher told them it was a silver bullet, then they would ingest.
And if you think differently, then ask yourself, even if you believe the story of illegal drugs being laced, then why after years of instruction not to take anything that they were not sure of the ingredients, did they suddenly take illicit drugs?
No, they knew what they were taking, the story was simply to reduce the punishment from four to two years.
The apparent fact that 90% of CFC followers believe such tripe makes me think that Mensa isn't coming knocking anytime soon.
Follow up question BDub, say it turned out they actually were just being silly 23 year olds and had ingested the Clen through illicit drug use, would your stance on their affiliation with CFC relax at all?

I was a doubter regarding Thomas getting back into the seniors. It wasn't only the amount of time out (which can be compared to serious/repeat injuries), but time out of the system and away from the club. He and Keeffe missed all the internal developments, elite management and support, exposure to new systems and strategies, changes in game plans (and AFL rules!), no doubt endless meetings, bonding sessions, etc etc. To come back after two years, having missed all that, and still show some form, really is a credit to his mental strength and capacity to learn. He has surprised me. By comparison, Marty Clarke never really recovered his form after two years out of the system.

Sadly, Marty contracted Addison's disease which precluded him reaching any great heights on his return.

Well, to be fair Marty was suffering from some sort of undiagnosed illness... The fact that Josh has come back and picked up pretty much where he left off (after a slowish start) could make someone think all those good things you mentioned don't really matter... but of course that would be silly wouldn't it..

Follow up question BDub, say it turned out they actually were just being silly 23 year olds and had ingested the Clen through illicit drug use, would your stance on their affiliation with CFC relax at all?
No.
They are professional athletes who are lectured annually on the drugs policy and told how, under the WADA code, the athelete is responsible for everything that they ingest.
Silly 23 year olds don't have that advantage that these guys did.
Silly 23 year olds rarely earn six figures plus on the back of chasing a leather bladder full of air.
I've no problem with them continuing to make a living from footy, never have, just shouldn't be at my club.

No.
They are professional athletes who are lectured annually on the drugs policy and told how, under the WADA code, the athelete is responsible for everything that they ingest.
Silly 23 year olds don't have that advantage that these guys did.
Silly 23 year olds rarely earn six figures plus on the back of chasing a leather bladder full of air.
I've no problem with them continuing to make a living from footy, never have, just shouldn't be at my club.

And as I've previously highlighted, it's not your club, it belongs to many and clearly your view is an absolute minority.

And as I've previously highlighted, it's not your club, it belongs to many and clearly your view is an absolute minority.
Just like North Korean dissidents whose view is in the minority.
It's the right view no matter.
Just like those whose view was that women had the right to vote.
It was the right view.
Just like the minority that believed Aboriginals deserved to be citizens.
It was the right view.
I could go on.

Just like North Korean dissidents whose view is in the minority.
It's the right view no matter.
Just like those whose view was that women had the right to vote.
It was the right view.
Just like the minority that believed Aboriginals deserved to be citizens.
It was the right view.
I could go on.

I see where you're going wrong, you're assuming you view is actually right. Once you come to terms with that error you'll be fine.

Assuming?
No, I know my view is right.
It has been for over half a century, and it won't change now.
You are entitled to think differently.
But in a day, in a week, in a month, in a year, in a Millenia, my view will be right.
And yours won't.
Sorry.
What if you are wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mind is open.
But it sees wrong and understands wrong comes with consequences.
Only sycophants can't see that.
Interesting. You mentioned the other day you are an atheist, as am I, but on this topic you sound like some of those annoying self righteous religious fanatics.
Liked your daylight savings post by the way. I will have to use that line.

I like what Thomas has brought to the table since returning to the seniors. He adds a cleaness at the half forward line that opens up the play and creates goals. I remember FIGJAM posting once he reckoned Thomas had the best hands in the team in his first year of VFL. And he still has them. Very handy player to have in the side.

Interesting. You mentioned the other day you are an atheist, as am I, but on this topic you sound like some of those annoying self righteous religious fanatics.
Liked your daylight savings post by the way. I will have to use that line.
I suppose my defence of my position may be viewed as fanatisism.
I'm fine with that.
Because unlike most religious fanatics, I'm not actually trying, or expecting, people to fall in behind me and become slavish in their devotion to my pearls of wisdom.
And pearls of wisdom they are.
Love them, hate them, I'm being true to myself and in the end that's all one can ask from oneself.

How so?
My comment was on the fact that he is so called best 22 after an extended period out.
I've never said I don't rate him, I've always said he doesn't deserve to be on our list due to attempt to enhance his performance chemically.
His career should have been continued elsewhere.
That "supporters" of CFC are willing to put possible success before morals is dissapointing.
Morals? you are pulling peoples leg. How is what he has done immoral? Fair dinkum dude. A lot of immoral behaviour no doubt is done in AFL... this is far from an example. Get out from that rock hey.

Ok enough about the drugs please.
Please discuss him as a footballer, his season so far and whether he's deserving of a contract.
All points on the drugs topic have been made and read.
Any further posts discussing the drugs will be deleted.

PS: That goes for the Keeffe thread too

Vicky Park Magpie Girl 76woodenspooners Gone Critical

Re Josh Thomas

The one thing that is huge in his favour, and I'm not sure is given enough credit:

He walks into the side and just picks up the AFL senior tempo straight away. I think that is very impressive.
As if he didn't miss a beat.

Kudos

Clean hands pace and toughness. And ability to kick a goal.

Everything you need really.

I was always a fan of retaining them both simply because they were likely to be the best available rookies you could select....even taking into account missing a year.of the two Thomas always had the tougher path back simply because of the competition for spots in the midfield.

Certain to be promoted assuming he isn't traded.

Clean hands pace and toughness. And ability to kick a goal.

Everything you need really.

I was always a fan of retaining them both simply because they were likely to be the best available rookies you could select....even taking into account missing a year.of the two Thomas always had the tougher path back simply because of the competition for spots in the midfield.

Certain to be promoted assuming he isn't traded.
I'd keep him unless offer to good to refuse.
Keep Keeffe to, as his height and cost/salary is to our advantage so good depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back