Player Watch Josh Thomas (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m trying to be positive here, so can someone please tell me how/why Thomas continues to get games? What does he offer that I’m not seeing? Wouldn’t someone like Greenwood or Cal Brown offer more in that forward spot?
Actually applies pressure and hit the contest front an centre to crumb. No one else in our side does this.

Actually applies pressure and hit the contest front an centre to crumb. No one else in our side does this.

Exactly. He’s rarely terrible. Never does enough to stay in the side as a lock and is rarely bad enough to be dropped. Sounds exactly like a wee man who used to play for us in the not too distant past.

He is the type of player that needs to be superseded by years end but with out lopsided list in terms of age distribution, the obvious replacements aren’t yet standing up.

Or we could just bite the bullet now... which is what I’d like to see...

Time to play McCreery, Bianco, Rantall and co. over JT.

He's been a good player who has had a crack for a while but he's just not going to get any better.

Should be back driving his Uber.
I wish I was good enough to play AFL, so kudos to him, but ffs, enough is enough.
Those photo's must really be something.

we have him a 3 year contract. people are always talking about grundy treloar etc at the top end of the market and whether these players deserve the contracts we gave them, but the lower end also needs to be considered. thomas should be on yearly contracts on a very modest sum.... if he wants to be traded or delisted, then so be it. I think that situation is almost true with WHE, although I would accept that he is worth more. Obviously callum brown is another who should now be a yearly proposition. His brother probably warrants a contract until the end of 2022. There's been too much love spread over the playing list for a while and the salary cap is absolute proof that many are being overpaid.

Thoughts on moving him back to the midfield with Adams out? Has clean hands and moves through traffic well.
May as well, he's playing as a "pressure forward" yet he applies no pressure

In saying that, I'd rather give IQ or Maynard a go and keep pumping games into Macrae

May as well, he's playing as a "pressure forward" yet he applies no pressure

In saying that, I'd rather give IQ or Maynard a go and keep pumping games into Macrae
I’d give games to Macrae regardless and the difference is IQ and Maynard are already doing well in their current roles. With JT I see a player being wasted in a role he’s not suited for. Doesn’t have the pace to apply consistent pressure but inside I think his lack of pace is hidden more.

Was thinking that myself. But then remembered they’d keep brown forward if they did...
Brown’s gonna be kept forward regardless until Elliott is fit again.

Out of contract at years end. I’d be delisting him.

Won’t be in the best 30 players by years end

Has no point of difference that puts him ahead of the 2020-2021 draftees in any way.

Have also got Daicos and Dib on the horizon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d give games to Macrae regardless and the difference is IQ and Maynard are already doing well in their current roles. With JT I see a player being wasted in a role he’s not suited for. Doesn’t have the pace to apply consistent pressure but inside I think his lack of pace is hidden more.

I’m not sure about lack of pace - he usually represents Coll in the GF sprint

Thoughts on moving him back to the midfield with Adams out? Has clean hands and moves through traffic well.
I believe that is what is referred to as stifling development in an otherwise lost season. If we were still contending, then sure.

Let’s instead see what Macrae, Rantall, T Brown and Sier can do, and later McIness and Poulter.

I believe that is what is referred to as stifling development in an otherwise lost season. If we were still contending, then sure.

Let’s instead see what Macrae, Rantall, T Brown and Sier can do, and later McIness and Poulter.
Its very possible we have to go backwards to go forward. And we just to except that, that is a possibility and the best thing for us for the future.

We've seen what T Brown and Sier can do. T Brown needs a bigger body and Sier needs fitness. Neither are gonna be fixed by gifting them games. It looks like Poulter will start out on the half back flank or as an outside mid whilst Reef is a fair bit off the pace atm. I'd like a more mature body like Thomas on the inside feeding it out to the likes of Macrae and Paulter.

JT is an inside midfielder who stubborn bucks has tried to reinvent as a forward. The worst part is I believe he changed his physique and slimmed down for the role when he should have bulked up more for the inside mid role. We can't ******* keep rolling out Pendles and Sidebottom forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back