Gaborone

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2007
North Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwich City FC
I didn't think I would ever post again on Big Footy after the PR disaster of last year but reading Caroline Wilson's article in The Age this morning has changed that. Kennett has to go, now! His arrogance, that fact that he is totally tone deaf to the circumstances of others, or to context, makes him unfit to be President. What was he thinking? How does he think? It is beyond belief that he thought it was OK or a joke to speak to another's wife about her dress? And to discover that this rot extended across the club itself is appalling.
Fix the problem now!

I have been supportive of JK for most of his time at HFC, but over the last few years I think he has become a liability. His mantra has always been that executives have a limited life and should not overstay. He was possibly justified in returning for a year or so after our previous disastrous presidency, but his time is well and truly up now.

Jeff, thanks for your service, but it's time to move on.

This gives me hope that Sam has been taking this stuff seriously since well before this story broke...

Hawks’ indigenous players, including Chad Wingard, Jarman Impey and Tyler Brockman, met with club bosses on Friday. They said they felt culturally safe at the club, and that the club was doing a good job with its Indigenous welfare programs.

The programs have been driven by new coach Sam Mitchell, who introduced a renewed club quest to forge stronger ties with Indigenous Australia. Mitchell told Rioli he was passionate about facilitating change and focusing the club’s community involvement away from the Kokoda program and towards the Northern Territory. Mitchell also encouraged Rioli to “reach out” if he wanted “to be part of the change we are trying to make”.

All racism is wrong. My question is was it intentional, or was it ignorance?
Someone like Jeff isn't going to admit a mistake if it was an ignorant comment

Ignorance is not an excuse so your question is mute

And right now it doesn’t matter if Jeff thinks he’s right, the only comment he needs to make if he truly loves the club as he professes to do, is I RESIGN

This gives me hope that Sam has been taking this stuff seriously since well before this story broke...

Nice to hear from Sam Mitchell. Personally, I think he is the most underrated player of this millennium. Cyril’s a lovely fella too, he came to my high school’s Clontarf Foundation up in Darwin with the premiership cup. The same school where ex Hawk Jed Anderson attended (he came too). His little brother, Javadd, Nakia Cockatoo and I played in the same side so I’ll always have that even if they did life better than me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By asking that question, you really have no idea what racism is.
You're right.
I don't know what it is, because what it is now is a lot different to what it was when I was growing up. Even 10 years ago racism was blatant things only. Now it's anything that offends, even when it wasn't intended.

Anyway, based on what was supposedly said, it wasn't racist. She was wearing ripped clothing (designer), which the president didn't like, and felt wasn't appropriate for a function. This is more about outdated views of business than it is race.

Ignorance is not an excuse so your question is mute

And right now it doesn’t matter if Jeff thinks he’s right, the only comment he needs to make if he truly loves the club as he professes to do, is I RESIGN
At this point in time it’s almost worse that he is so ignorant of the impact of his comments and actions. Seems to me, he lives in a bubble of privilege and needs to keep himself there and away from Hawthorn.

He just has to go, and now, enough is enough! He is a liability and simply it’s embarrassing he is our president.
A minor thing, but I think this sums up the person he is. Went to the hawthorn business lunch as a sponsor a few weeks back, Jeff comes up and says hello to me, then without reason nor provocation, follows straight up with ‘if you have any problems or complaints don’t talk to me, go and see that lady over there’ and walks off.

Last edited:
Jeff isn’t going to come out and say he intentionally said a racist remark. I wouldn’t put too much emphasis or thought on whether his comments were intentional or not, the end result was the same.

Racism is nuanced and very personal to the individual. If you want to know why it offended the individual you should probably listen to them. Jeff ironically speaking over the top of Shannyn during one of their meetings by asking what else he could do was.. ugh. I don’t even have the words.

Jeff isn’t going to come out and say he intentionally said a racist remark. I wouldn’t put too much emphasis or thought on whether his comments were intentional or not, the end result was the same.

Racism is nuanced and very personal to the individual. If you want to know why it offended the individual you should probably listen to them. Jeff ironically speaking over the top of Shannyn during one of their meetings by asking what else he could do was.. ugh. I don’t even have the words.
There is no doubt Kennett is an idiot, a smart idiot (oxymoron), but an idiot none the less.

I think you summed up the racism issue perfectly - it's personal. Each person has a different view on what it actually is, and as such, you're never going to solve the issue

There is no doubt Kennett is an idiot, a smart idiot (oxymoron), but an idiot none the less.

I think you summed up the racism issue perfectly - it's personal. Each person has a different view on what it actually is, and as such, you're never going to solve the issue
Or you could listen to the people who have been subject to racism to understand, then people could not be racist and we could just solve the issue? It’s pretty simple.

You're right.
I don't know what it is, because what it is now is a lot different to what it was when I was growing up. Even 10 years ago racism was blatant things only. Now it's anything that offends, even when it wasn't intended.

Anyway, based on what was supposedly said, it wasn't racist. She was wearing ripped clothing (designer), which the president didn't like, and felt wasn't appropriate for a function. This is more about outdated views of business than it is race.
10 years ago, it was still racism (as well as sexism), it simply wasn’t called out by the community.

It was an elite privileged white male identifying something wrong to an indigenous woman and then condescendingly taking money out and offering to pay for her to fix it.

Now those on the receiving end of this type of behaviour feel better supported to call it out.

Those of us who witness it should also call it out, even if we are not the victim.

Always was, always will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back