King/Gardiner Traded to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Oh Charlie & King...

Gotta be a mistake.
Charlie would have been worth a 3rd or 4th rounder from Carlton.
King as has been stated would have been worth a 4th rounder from Tigers or Pies (2 days ago).

Why give both to the saints for a 5th (or is it 6th) round pick...

Gotta be a mistake or something is very much amiss.....

Gotta be a mistake.
Charlie would have been worth a 3rd or 4th rounder from Carlton.
King as has been stated would have been worth a 4th rounder from Tigers or Pies (2 days ago).

Why give both to the saints for a 5th (or is it 6th) round pick...

Gotta be a mistake or something is very much amiss.....

Maybe the Saints were prepared to offer them real money in the contracts and Geelong did what was best for the players. Maybe the other offers were for crap money and picks we still didnt need anyway?

King in the 2007 Grand Final showed that he still has form that in my opinion Mark Blake will never live up to.

I'm actually sad for the first time since the premiership win... Oh hang on, read those words and I feel better! For now...

It's a matter of numbers - you have to use three of your draft picks. We have committed the last one to Adam Donohue. So we have to use two others. There are also rookie elevations promised.

For the draft picks we need three spaces on the list, then depending on how many rookies are to elevated, there will be another 2-4 spaces required.

So Playfair, Callan, King and Gardiner make four spaces. Owen likely to be de-listed and I would hope rookied.

Don't worry about what picks we got - we won't be using them anyway.

Keep the players in mind.
No one was willing to pay more and some would have swooped in the PSD anyway. Now each will have a contract next year - and I hope they go OK too.

Remember our recruiting staff know what they are doing. Look at the list now. Our list is being trimmed in a way that will allow for elevations and perhaps a couple of smokeys in the late 30-70 range. The very late pick can be used for Donohue if the earlier ones are used.
We won the cup (love that!) so we don't get to pick any sought after kids. In the draft we need just one ruckman and that backman . Perhaps another rookie ruckman too.

It's a matter of numbers - you have to use three of your draft picks. We have committed the last one to Adam Donohue. So we have to use two others. There are also rookie elevations promised.

For the draft picks we need three spaces on the list, then depending on how many rookies are to elevated, there will be another 2-4 spaces required.

So Playfair, Callan, King and Gardiner make four spaces. Owen likely to be de-listed and I would hope rookied.

Don't worry about what picks we got - we won't be using them anyway.

yep, it's all about management. paying for players you rarely use is gonna choke yer ttp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking back to Essendon after the 2000 flag here. They had to shed some players to stay under the cap. Did they lose the right ones? Did they retain others who essentially offered them nothing? Remember this is a team that lost one match all year but in the space of a couple of years they went from the pinaccle to bit players in the finals to a bottom four side.

It is true that Mark Blake will never reach the heights of King but who is to say that King will reach those same heights over the next three years? Blake is the future and other players such as West and Prismall have also been retained. I hope we retain Tenace as well. He did a good preseason last year but got hurt and he was a top ten pick so I believe he deserves another shot. Think of how long it took Mackie to develop.

Sure losing Kingy hurts as he is an AA Ruckman, former captain and premiership player and yeah, we could have gotten more for him but back the recruiters to shape and manage the list so we don't fall away as badly as the Bombers have done this decade.

regards,

REB

On the face of it this seems ludicrus. I do actually think there's sort of a reason it happened this way. Aren't we picking up the FS guy (can't remember his name) for our LAST pick? 90 is now our last pick so we can now use our second last pick (not really sure of the number) to pick up a half decent player.

Still reckon the Sainters will be doing a happy dance right now. Gardiner wont do anything for them but if King stays fit he'll be very, very good for them.

Club has helped King out they have got him to where he wants to go and taken nothing in return. No one else wanted him at the moment, so probably would have only been taken BY the saints in the pre-season draft. But someone else could have jumped in before them?? This way he is guarenteed to go to where he wants.. It's dissapointing, but we will be seeing a bit more of it as the salary cap squeeze happens in the next few years..

You guys are just clearing up your list so that you can draft the minimum 3 draftees come November!

List management makes sense, Blake for 3 years makes sense, give him every chance. But in my opinion King was the number 2 ruckman next year and from a club that used him and abused him deserved more.

List management for my mind is to cut Playfair, Gardiner, S Hunt and move players like Tennace and Callan for better opportunities.

I don't know better than the club, I hope King got a great 2 year deal from the Saints... I just don't like it right now...

List management makes sense, Blake for 3 years makes sense, give him every chance. But in my opinion King was the number 2 ruckman next year and from a club that used him and abused him deserved more.

List management for my mind is to cut Playfair, Gardiner, S Hunt and move players like Tennace and Callan for better opportunities.

I don't know better than the club, I hope King got a great 2 year deal from the Saints... I just don't like it right now...

I agree it doesnt look right...I think in time it will. King is the only risk he could do us some damage next season but we also know that may not happen too. Geelong has looked after the players first I think and got them some contracts.

I think this opens the door for the likes of Grima and Thompson...so its not all bad news...wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back