Opinion Kornes asks : Where has the Passion gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I would have put this in the media thread but it may become a lengthy topic and would probably be moved anyway.

In today's Monopoly Times Kane Cornes has basically asked some pretty relevant questions the main one being, what has happened to the Power's passion in Showdowns? Kane has made the observation that the current playing group simply does not appear to understand the significance of a showdown.

I guess it goes back to the Coaching Panel to fire the players up but if they understood how we feel about these games and what they mean to our Club they should not have to be fired up. When I was a small kid growing up in the 1950's and 1960's Port Adelaide footballers were gods and no one dare question their passion and will to win. No one could or would question thier desire to win as it was given from Port and opposition supporters alike. In fact it wasn't until the late 1960's that I experienced a Port side losing by more than ten goals. That happened against West Adelaide at Richmond in the late sixties. How times have changed as these days we are expected to take a fourteen goal thumping in our stride.

One interesting point is that Kornes raises the issue of long sleeve guernseys stating that Chocco would not allow a player to wear one in a Showdown but on Saturday five Port players wore them. Perhaps Kornes is using this to highlight the difference between traditional Port thinking and the 'caring' approach employed at Alberton under the current regime. Wearing a long sleeve guernsey may not make one iota of difference on the scoreboard but it does symbolise a watering down of traditional values. It is cold and wet son- so ******* what, work hard enough and you will not feel the cold.

Kornes justifiably asks, where is our Byron Pickett or Josh Carr and cites the example of Brad Crouch going into the game without a helmet. Kane says we should have been making Crouch look to the bench for a helmet. I suspect the AFL's sterilsation of the game is partly responsible for this but surely more physical pressure should have been applied to Crouch? Why do we let opposition play makers run around unchecked for large portions of the game?

A good read which shows that Kornes reads some of the threads on this site as he raises the same points that many of us raised in the wake of an unacceptable showdown performance.

I would have put this in the media thread but it may become a lengthy topic and would probably be moved anyway.

In today's Monopoly Times Kane Cornes has basically asked some pretty relevant questions the main one being, what has happened to the Power's passion in Showdowns? Kane has made the observation that the current playing group simply does not appear to understand the significance of a showdown.

I guess it goes back to the Coaching Panel to fire the players up but if they understood how we feel about these games and what they mean to our Club they should not have to be fired up. When I was a small kid growing up in the 1950's and 1960's Port Adelaide footballers were gods and no one dare question their passion and will to win. No one could or would question thier desire to win as it was given from Port and opposition supporters alike. In fact it wasn't until the late 1960's that I experienced a Port side losing by more than ten goals. That happened against West Adelaide at Richmond in the late sixties. How times have changed as these days we are expected to take a fourteen goal thumping in our stride.

One interesting point is that Kornes raises the issue of long sleeve guernseys stating that Chocco would not allow a player to wear one in a Showdown but on Saturday five Port players wore them. Perhaps Kornes is using this to highlight the difference between traditional Port thinking and the 'caring' approach employed at Alberton under the current regime. Wearing a long sleeve guernsey may not make one iota of difference on the scoreboard but it does symbolise a watering down of traditional values. It is cold and wet son- so ******* what, work hard enough and you will not feel the cold.

Kornes justifiably asks, where is our Byron Pickett or Josh Carr and cites the example of Brad Crouch going into the game without a helmet. Kane says we should have been making Crouch look to the bench for a helmet. I suspect the AFL's sterilsation of the game is partly responsible for this but surely more physical pressure should have been applied to Crouch? Why do we let opposition play makers run around unchecked for large portions of the game?

A good read which shows that Kornes reads some of the threads on this site as he raises the same points that many of us raised in the wake of an unacceptable showdown performance.
I haven't seen much Showdown passion from a Port player since Chad Cornes. As Macca said on the podcast last night, we've copped at least 1 flogging a year in Showdowns in recent times, and it's completely unacceptable. Then the coaches feign their disgust, but we all know it'll happen again soon. I'm over it, and I know I'm not alone.

Koch, Hinkley and Boak.

3 leaders in their respective areas and 3 politically soft people.

Simply impossible to be anything other than what we have become when the people leading the way are what they are.

No such thing as minimum standard or requirement of action on the playing field any longer at Port Adelaide, and the players know it, abuse it and use it to their advantage.

Now isn't the time to be taking shots at Cornes for how he played or how he ended his career, now is the time for really serious questions to be asked, and answers given.

We simply can not afford to drift along for another season or two thinking our players are better than they are, thinking our coaching is better than what it is and thinking we have those in positions of authority that will act when required.

I'm happy for any past player, supporter, anyone at all, to call a spade a spade regarding every single aspect of our Football Club - and I'll be expecting honest answers from those in positions to do so.

Another spring/summer of spin and we'll be just about dead again this time next year.

Perspective is what this Club really needs a good dose of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the responses in this thread are strange. Kane is asking the same questions many here are asking and he gets greeted with a resounding * you Kane you quitter. Well he is in all forms of the media including nationally and his comments will make a much bigger ripple than our complaining on an insular football board.

We complain about having limited representation in the media but when we do and the player raises questions that we are asking we complain that he's in the media.

I'm happy he's out there asking the questions and I would like to know where our passion has gone.

Mind you, I do recall Bruce Light, Dave Granger and Paul Northeast wearing long sleeve guernseys and I never doubted their passion. Mind you that was scratchy wool that just made you angrier.

Wear the uniform with pride.

1WWr7a6.jpg

I always thought there was a practical side to wearing long sleeves in the wet because they made it easier to mark the ball when it was slippery?

Yeah, I find it hard to believe they are worn because players get cold. Plus they look badass. They should be compulsory, along with black boots and Don Mattingly haircuts for all.

We really do lack hardness and mongrel though. Who on our team is genuinely tough? Both in body and mind. Tommy Jonas perhaps? SPP?(a first year player no less) Ollie Wines? Charlie Dixon has size and aggression but often uses it the wrong way, Trengove although I haven't seen much of it lately..... after that, Ebo maybe.... we have too many soft footballers. Not everybody has to be a tough guy, but we just don't have the leaders who everybody knows has their back... campaigners like Hodge, Selwood, Walker, Reiwoldt, Viney, Mumford...that always stand up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back