List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like 3 picks inside the top 20. The only way to make that happen is trade a couple of high priced stars.

Wingard would get us a pick inside 20 and so would Tom Mitchell. They would be our only two so if the price is right pull the trigger.

Changes-
Shiels retire
Burgoyne retire

Delist
Howe
Ceglar (has a year to run so he may survive for 1 more year but that experiment is over)
Hartigan or Hartley. Take your pick.
O’Brien 9 years on the list is enough.
Cousins too slow Cuz.
1 of Hanrahan Moore Morrison (all 3 are just ok). Don’t need 3 of them.

Trade bait- Gunston Breust Mitchell Wingard.

Gunners and Breust possibly have 2 decent years left if the body holds up. I wouldn’t begrudge either if they wanted a change to finish up.
At this stage we've got 3 inside 23.....

Need to settle folks: Current backline played 5 games together. Forward line 2 games to ether... Do we really expect a sharp afl team with those numbers....Well I dont. Sure its all a bit 2004....but that didn't last for ever.....Hit the draught. and keep chipping way.. Alistair knows the score....Sam has quite a way to go from the addresses Ive heard him make to his players. But once again Im not surprised....Experience comes from making mistakes. Its the only way how. An inexperienced coach cerainly would not help in speeding up the process.............

Keepers beyond this season
Mids: T Mitch, Worpel, Jaeger, Wingard, Phillips, McEvoy
Forwards: Kosi, Lewis, Jeka Brocky, Bruest, Gunston, Moore, Ollie
Backs: Sicily, CJ, Day, Scrim, Dimma, Frost, Impey

Unproven (keep):
Reeves, Downie, Finn, S Mitchell, DGB, Bramble, Saunders, Morris

Depth:
Howe, Morrison, Cousins

Move on:
Silk, Shiels, Ceglar, Patton, Scully, Hartley, Nash, Brooksby, Hartigan, Timmy O

50/50:
Greaves, Pepper

That would be up to 10 off the list (12 if you include Scully and Patton). Personally like what I’ve seen from Greaves so would be inclined to keep him.

Channel 7 said West Coast after after Cripps I wonder if they will turn there attention to Mitchell if they can’t get Cripps.

Keepers beyond this season
Mids: T Mitch, Worpel, Jaeger, Wingard, Phillips, McEvoy
Forwards: Kosi, Lewis, Jeka Brocky, Bruest, Gunston, Moore, Ollie
Backs: Sicily, CJ, Day, Scrim, Dimma, Frost, Impey

Unproven (keep):
Reeves, Downie, Finn, S Mitchell, DGB, Bramble, Saunders, Morris

Depth:
Howe, Morrison, Cousins

Move on:
Silk, Shiels, Ceglar, Patton, Scully, Hartley, Nash, Brooksby, Hartigan, Timmy O

50/50:
Greaves, Pepper

That would be up to 10 off the list (12 if you include Scully and Patton). Personally like what I’ve seen from Greaves so would be inclined to keep him.
Good list. Let’s assume we don’t contend for five years. Who among your keepers do you expect to be there?

I would like 3 picks inside the top 20. The only way to make that happen is trade a couple of high priced stars.

Wingard would get us a pick inside 20 and so would Tom Mitchell. They would be our only two so if the price is right pull the trigger.

Changes-
Shiels retire
Burgoyne retire

Delist
Howe
Ceglar (has a year to run so he may survive for 1 more year but that experiment is over)
Hartigan or Hartley. Take your pick.
O’Brien 9 years on the list is enough.
Cousins too slow Cuz.
1 of Hanrahan Moore Morrison (all 3 are just ok). Don’t need 3 of them.

Trade bait- Gunston Breust Mitchell Wingard.

Gunners and Breust possibly have 2 decent years left if the body holds up. I wouldn’t begrudge either if they wanted a change to finish up.

Could we get a 3rd for Cousins from a club like Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 said West Coast after after Cripps I wonder if they will turn there attention to Mitchell if they can’t get Cripps.
Why would they be turning their attention to Mitchell? He's not leaving the Hawks mate.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many academy picks are there to push us back?
Pies - Daicos and Giants - Fahey makes it at least 2..

Good news it that there is no academy in the first 20 picks.

So it will just be father son Daicos. Our first pick will be pushed back by one and our second and third likely only pushed back by two (Daicos and GC’s extra pick).

So it will just be father son Daicos. Our first pick will be pushed back by one and our second and third likely only pushed back by two (Daicos and GC’s extra pick).

The Northern Academies can still go top 20, its just that the Victorians, S.A. and W.A. academies dont count in the top 20 this year, so Fahey goes to GWS probably somewhere in the top 10 i would guess and Daicos goes at #1 or #2.

The Northern Academies can still go top 20, its just that the Victorians, S.A. and W.A. academies dont count in the top 20 this year, so Fahey goes to GWS probably somewhere in the top 10 i would guess and Daicos goes at #1 or #2.

Ahh that sucks.

A trip back to The Kokoda Track might be in order, once we add at least another 3 youngsters to the group at years end, especially since the old guard will almost all be gone, and O'Meara, Mitchel, Frost, and Wingard (Sicily?) haven't done it. And they are our leaders going forward.

Go back to what worked and start from scratch with bonding this "new" group.

The list is what it is.

Too much COVID in PNG to go anywhere near there, unfortunately.

No club including Hawthorn can afford to lose every week. It is no good for club culture and that includes the players and fans. And there is no point playing young players until they are ready. Or almost ready. So you need to keep some leaders. Especially with free agency, we could lose a couple the way we lost Smith last year. So you need to keep players that have no trade value, yet keep the side competitive. JOM, TOB, McEvoy, fall into this category.
I would rather win six games and get draft pick 2/3/4 for the next couple of year rather than be where North Melbourne are right now.
All of this comes down to Clarkson. He either commits until 2025+ and does a proper rebuild, or he probably needs to go at the end of this year before he brings in any more recycled players. I reckon Sam Mitchell either coaches Hawthorn in 2022 or another club in 2023.

Problem with a direct trade is I think we need to keep in the first round next year too so we've gotta get a little more creative.
Otherwise a straight trade would be ideal.

I hear you, if i recall correctly we took 2019 Day, 2020 Denver Grainger-Barras, our 2021 pick so that makes 3 first round picks in a row. Which means we should be fine to trade out 2022, that if we manage to grab the pies first round pick for 2021 thats 4 in a row.

I hope we bid on Daicos you never know they may not match it would put them in trouble with draft pick points next year when they are rebuilding the club.

It is quite difficult to run through the list without some emotional ties to certain players. We tend to place higher value on those we like.

I do not have access to watch games live here in Sydney (don't have Kayo). So I generally sit glued to the AFL Player stats, watching them tick over. A few interesting points come out of this:

At end of first quarter the stats leaders are usually Hardwick, Scrimshaw, CJ, Impey. Hardwick usually goes quiet for much of the second, then works back into it in the second half.

Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara, Shiels, Winguard are generally low possession-getters early. All normally work into it by mid-second term, some quicker than others.

Makes sense, really. Lack of midfield effort would send the ball into our back half where Hardwick, etc need to work to stem the flow.

Hardwick is usually the player with most metres gained. Mitchell, not so much. Pretty ordinary in fact. Might have something to do with most of his disposals being handballs under pressure. It is noted that when Mitchell decides to kick, we generally are in a position to score.

So it comes down to consistency in the Mids. They need to get on their bikes at first bounce.

Downfield, there is enormous pressure on the forwards to do something. No surprise here and we all can see the problems.

So how does that effect Hanrahan, Moore, et al.

Personally I am a fan of Moore, and not so keen on Hanrahan (who was horrid on the weekend if not for the two goals). It may be that both are gone at the end of the year, but I think it is quite difficult to judge them when the midfield is under-performing. Same goes to for Glimpses.

The question of list management, therefore should be to address our glaring weakness first. When both Mitchell and JOM are playing, WOrpel drops off a bit. Need to address that or change the mix, which may mean parting with one or two, and not necessarily who we see as the weakest two. As for the rest, I am inclined to let the club work out who to de-list rather than speculate when our forwards get s**t delivery and the backs are under continuous pressure. We need to give Lewis, Kosi and Jeka time to develop. Same with the small forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back