Delisted Lochie O'Brien [rookied by Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Would be fuming if we just off loaded a former top 10 draft pick for nothing.

Granted I am not his biggest fan, bur surely the club will give him at least another year or trade him somewhere for something (although granted his value wouldn't be high at this stage)

Something strange is going on with LOB ans Carlton, a Blues ITK poster said a few days ago he was staying at the club.

Ralphy is far from my favourite journalist, but I don't think he would have run this story if it didn't have some legs.

Hoping this is actually just a motivational rumour put out by the club to make LOB work harder and be the player we all know he can be (these things have been known to happen in the past)

Seems strange considering we are crying out for wingman. I think us playing Cottrell over him so much this season probably shows that the club don’t rate or weren’t exactly happy with him. He can run and kick, two things our club desperately lack so I’d hope we give him an extra season to see if we can make a player out of him.

This guy just screams Bill Hartung to me... Just without the flog of a dad.

Seen literally nothing to suggest he will make it at AFL level.

Unless they are tight for list spots the are probably better off signing him to a 1 year deal and saying 'show us something or cya'

Given his age he should get another year. If he was pick 10 then clearly he was rated. I can’t see Voss putting up with players that don’t work and don’t work defensively. The biggest issue at Carlton is their soft defensive efforts. They look great going forward but they literally leave all the heavy lifting up to the defenders.

He is only 22, he could turn into a really good player. Like SPS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems strange considering we are crying out for wingman. I think us playing Cottrell over him so much this season probably shows that the club don’t rate or weren’t exactly happy with him. He can run and kick, two things our club desperately lack so I’d hope we give him an extra season to see if we can make a player out of him.
Playing Cottrell and Newnes over him was just plain crazy.
Cottrell runs and is hard. That's it. He has no football IQ, positioned terribly and disposal is below par for a wing.
Newnes wasn't going to get any better and LOB's development was already at Newnes' level.
Based on Kennedy's comments that he tried to work on too many things and didn't focus on what he does best. Reading between the lines, I think this speaks more about the coaching and development at the club (which we are all aware hasn't been top notch) and not Kennedy's own training/focus.
I think the same can be said for LOB. He was given too many things to focus on at VFL level and the expectations were stopping him from getting a call up to the seniors. We kept hearing how he had things to work on and wasn't ready, yet he would be overlooked when a standout in the VFL, or we'd continue with Cottrell, who also had plenty to work on.
As soon as he got games in the seniors, we saw what we were desperately missing. Footy IQ and quality delivery inside 50.
It seems expectations on some players were too high, while others were too low.
Players like SPS and LOB appear to have been told to focus on improving multiple weaknesses to the detriment of their strengths, while Cottrell and Newnes types were played on their limited strengths while ignoring their weaknesses.

An extraordinarily poor selection by Carlton. Some players look really good in their draft but just don't cut it at the top level; it happens. For me this pick really stands out because I am a big draft nut and I didn't at the time, and I don't think anybody else did, rate this guy close to a top 10 player in that draft. His small frame and low contested possession numbers even at under 18 level suggested he would really struggle to come on at AFL level. Had speed and good skills which made him a speculative second round pick with upside at best.

Wouldn't take him at Collingwood as a DFA. Don't think he has it.

This one could go either way. Probably one of the best kicks in the comp even at an early age but as soft as fairyfloss. Unlike petrevski-seton his best spot is a traditional gut running wingman who generally arent expected to do much contested work. Blues have been playing him on ball in the VFL to work on his contested side and it seems to have been effective from watching his last 3-4 games of the season when he returned to the AFL side. That being said a lot of these blokes can muster up some courage for a month to get a new contract and then go back to their old habits and back to the VFL they go.

I'd like the blues to keep him given how lackluster our wing stocks are and I believe if he can continue to add some muscle and physicality his skills are simply too silky to depart with for nothing. Gut feel is he gets another contract and if he serves up a similar performance to his career so far he will be packing his bags.

If he's always been rated a good runner/endurance machine (see his draft articles), then why doesn't he work hard defensively?

Hasn't worked on his frame much either.

Leppitsch was probably right to say what he did (Richmond had a line through him more or less), he has good weapons but also a lot of weaknesses - things like 1-on-1 and general strength, physicality, defensive ethic are to name a few.
He doesn't have to be elite in these areas but just not dreadful. The likes of Gaff, Amon, Langdon, Seedsman, Hunter you could always see were building/developing to be minimum best 22.

If he's always been rated a good runner/endurance machine (see his draft articles), then why doesn't he work hard defensively?

Hasn't worked on his frame much either.

Leppitsch was probably right to say what he did (Richmond had a line through him more or less), he has good weapons but also a lot of weaknesses - things like 1-on-1 and general strength, physicality, defensive ethic are to name a few.
He doesn't have to be elite in these areas but just not dreadful. The likes of Gaff, Amon, Langdon, Seedsman, Hunter you could always see were building/developing to be minimum best 22.

There's nothing wrong with his work rate IMO. Dunno if he stacks up in terms of tackles, 1%ers, pressure acts etc and I doubt he does, but that's more a product of the position he plays. I just don't think LOB is a natural footballer, and that is reflected in his running patterns and his general game sense. When he's fed the ball he impacts, but he has a tough time finding it himself and stands in dumb positions to receive often. Think we saw some growth in this area in his few games this season though tbh.

The other misconception is he is quick. He's not fast, but can burn opponents off late in games due to his god tier endurance base. Otherwise he looks like he's running on a treadmill too often - he's not powerful or explosive.

From a Carlton POV it'd be silly to fling him. His kicking is as sold - long and accurate. He can lace players inside 50 with ease, and his vision in those types of situations is usually pretty good. If you're a key forward you'd love to see him streaming forward.

I found Leppitsch's comments pretty pointless and anecdotal. We all know clubs rate players differently, but this is a club that was happy to bring in softies like Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon and Daniel Rioli with first round picks. Richmond didn't have access to an earlier pick, so the statement is neither here nor there. Would they take him if he was there at Pick 60?

Guys like Amon and Seedsman actually showed some slow linear growth for years to get where they are now. Seedsman had his best season at 29, Amon at 26. LOB is still only 21. He might have had fewer peaks in his first couple of years, but how much is that down to development and being rawer than the average first round draftee. The Blues 'won' a wooden spoon in his first season, he stalled in 2019, spent a lot of 2020 injured and that impacted where he sat in the pecking order for 2021. Teague also refused to play fringe young guys until much later in the season.

I'd like to see how he develops under another coach. Bolton was way too complimentary and gave him games when he should have been working in the VFL on his game. His weaknesses were clear as day when he came in, and still existed 2 years on. Teague, as mentioned, didn't give him much of a chance. He shat himself in open space in Round 1, and that was it for him until a couple of dead rubbers late in the season.

If he heads to another club I can see him becoming a staple player. We'd much rather not risk it.

Last edited:
I actually wouldn’t mind taking a gamble on him see if chocko can do wonders with him. Because this time last year I was probably hoping Spago and ANB, never played again for Melbourne again look at them now never missed a game I don’t think and they talked about how much influence he had on them to turn things around.

I actually wouldn’t mind taking a gamble on him see if chocko can do wonders with him. Because this time last year I was probably hoping Spago and ANB, never played again for Melbourne again look at them now never missed a game I don’t think and they talked about how much influence he had on them to turn things around.
I wouldn’t give up much, but yeah, good call. Would make him work really hard to get a spot. Again, top 10 pick. Could be decent and is young.

A lot of Andrew Mackie early years about him?

God Mode
Herne Hill Hammer
PhatBoy
Gavin Excell

Thoughts?

Can do things by foot no one else on our team can, just struggles to find the footy...lacks footy nous.

I think he has a chance as a small defender, moreso than a midfielder. More clearly defined role, and that boot could be lethal out of defense. Not soft as every second keyboard warrior throws out...but unsure of role. Common theme at Blues.

Have to give him another year at the Blues. He is our best field kick and runs all day. Has strengths that in a good system could excel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back