Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Those 2 specifically want to be immortalised, maybe you could pry out someone like Sturt though

I'm sure they bleed purple more than any previous Docker that's ever existed. Why that would stop us talking to their management to ensure we get a fair deal though, I have no idea.

I don’t understand why an out of contract, overpaid, inconsistent, high maintenance flake like Lobb, who will be 30 next year, is seen as something of high value on the trade table.

No club will be clamouring to provide a first round pick upgrade into the top ten for that guy. When he goes it will be for a second rounder at best, and Freo will be secretly happy to be rid of him.

Back to Jackson, if he doesn’t accept Melbourne’s terms, then Melbourne will have to settle for unders at the trade table. It’s not the end of the world.

The general consensus was Richmond were lucky to get an end of second round pick for Chol. I'm not sure how Lobb (who's 3 years older) is that much better to be worth an upgrade a mid teens picks into the top 10.

The general consensus was Richmond were lucky to get an end of second round pick for Chol. I'm not sure how Lobb (who's 3 years older) is that much better to be worth an upgrade a mid teens picks into the top 10.
Lobb tearing it up against Gold Coast.

Three disposals early into the last quarter.

Taking their 2022 season averages as a whole, Lobb hasn't been statistically that much better than Chol. I don't think Chol's move a team's mid teens pick into the top 10. Likewise, I feel that overvalues Lobb who's 4 years older.
Chol is playing well, better than he was last year when he was traded. I think it depends on the team. A contending team like Dogs or another that just misses on the 8 would probably be fine with moving 5-6 spots down in the first round. Additionally, being in contract and the position we’re in list wise, I imagine we’d say that he’s traded on our terms or not at all, the terms would be that he helps us get Jackson and a part of that would be getting a top 10 pick to satisfy Melbourne.

If we aren’t getting Jackson, I’d hope we keep him another year to give Amiss time to develop and fill the void in some way - also, to helps us compete for a flag

Lobb's only relevance to Jackson is positional. Lobb out Jackson in is an upgrade for Freo in talent and Jackson better suits the timeline.

In terms of an actual trade Lobb isn't pivotal whether going to the Dees or a third party. Does anyone know what GWS offered for him last year, if anything?

It’s all potential at the moment with Jackson
Lobb ave double the clearances more goals goal assist and involvements.
What ?

In 2022 Jackson averages double the clearances of Lobb and the score involvements are similar 4.9-5.2.

Jackson also averages more disposals, more tackles, more marks, more contested marks, and more hitouts.

Jackson has also been slower getting back to form after his own missed game with Covid.

One is 20 and years off his best footy and the other is in his prime at 29.

Even with it being ''all potential at the moment with Jackson'' his numbers are still better than Lobb's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have many players yet been traded for two first rounders (or around that mark) and been considered a great trade for the club that got them?

I think the Shiel, Kelly, Hogan, Beams, Gibbs, Boyd (although mitigated by a flag) trades are all considered bad or disastrous ROI.

Omeara, Cameron, Dixon? Breakeven possibly for what was paid.

Neale and Lever seem valuable.

I think its hard to get good value from so high a price and it leaves you with a flag or bust result in a lot of cases. It wouldn't surprise me to see clubs become a bit more hesitant on giving two first rounders in trades.

Most of those trades above are for pretty established players.

Neale appears valuable because he walked into a young group at the right time and is in his prime. If they had retained a top 5 pick in the 2018 draft they would still have another very good young player. Lever was 21, O'Meara 22 (but had missed 2 years), Boyd 19.

If you are trading for a 27 year old Jeremy Cameron you are expecting 3-5 years of return for your outlay, more if you are lucky. If you do a West Coast and run off the cliff like Wile E Coyote chasing the Road Runner then that sort of move bites you in the arse quickly.

Jackson hasn't even turned 21 yet, so he can suit any club's timeline. If you hand over all your draft picks for two years (i.e. the most you can offer without players) then go to the draft you still have a 23 year old on your books which is hardly a list management disaster as you are rebuilding.

My favorite part is the bloke in here who is taking Jackson’s word on a shitty little local team podcast as gospel regarding him “loving Melbourne”.
Which automatically makes him not home sick and will resign.

Because we all know there is a long line of players who confess to the media that they are home sick and want a trade home while they are still 5 months under contract.

Never change (V)AFL

Last edited:
My favorite part is the bloke in here who is taking Jackson’s word on a shitty little local team podcast as gospel regarding him “loving Melbourne”.
Which automatically makes him not home sick and will resign.

Never change (V)AFL
I like the guys who are saying he isn't that good and is out of contract so let's just take him in the pre season draft for free

That's much better

I like the guys who are saying he isn't that good and is out of contract so let's just take him in the pre season draft for free

That's much better
Never going to happen, the melts would be glorious thought.

As much as I would love him on the team. it’s not going to happen this year for WCE.
Perhaps as a FA in a few years time.

He either goes to Freo or signs on with Melb for another 3.

Some asking prices from Melbourne fans on here are outrageous.
He is worth 1x top 3 pick and some steak knives. (Or there about’s)
No way is he worth 2x firsts,
and we all know that.

Jackson is currently looking a million buck
Due to the team he is in.
Suit him up for a north or Wce outfit and we will find out his current value pretty quick.
This is not to say he won’t be a good player down the track

Genuine question, is there any level of performance Jackson could do this year that would limit his value, both contract wise if he stayed with Melbourne or in trade?

Like, if he keeps up current form for the rest of the year (which is good but not generational level), what’s the max you’d be comfortable giving him?

I believe Jackson to be worth no more than what Jeremy Cameron was traded for, as after all, thus far he is delivering on promise, but hasn't yet "graduated". What was the final value of the Cameron trade? Picks 13, 15, 20 & a future fourth from Geelong, for Cameron and two future second-round picks?

I believe Jackson to be worth no more than what Jeremy Cameron was traded for, as after all, thus far he is delivering on promise, but hasn't yet "graduated". What was the final value of the Cameron trade? Picks 13, 15, 20 & a future fourth from Geelong, for Cameron and two future second-round picks?
Not sure I agree with that. One a free agent while the other isn’t, one a lot more career to be played.

Jackson was taken at pick 3 based on promise of his talents, delivering a rising star award justifying those talents are AFL standard.

If you’re still basing him on promise of his talents, you’re looking at a top 3 pick minimum.

Not sure I agree with that. One a free agent while the other isn’t, one a lot more career to be played.

Jackson was taken at pick 3 based on promise of his talents, delivering a rising star award justifying those talents are AFL standard.

If you’re still basing him on promise of his talents, you’re looking at a top 3 pick minimum.
Well if someone with a knowledge of draft pick values was to complete the Cameron trade equation, it would equate to pick?.......

On output, which is all that actually matters at AFL level when you're getting on for 50 games*, Jackson is looking like he is worth the same as Rory Lobb - except Lobb in under contract and Jackson isn't - whether that difference in contract makes up for the extra years you will get from Jackson, subjective decision.

*Just for the pedantic people, Jackson on 39 game currently plus remaining games this year

Well if someone with a knowledge of draft pick values was to complete the Cameron trade equation, it would equate to pick?.......
You talking about father son/academy points? Not sure what they have to do with Jackson or Cameron (free agent).

Jackson’s promise based on his talents were worthy of him being selected at pick 3. Based on promise alone he’s worthy of a top 3 selection. Now he’s justified those talents with a rising star and a big performance on Grand final, what extra is he worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back