Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope that’s not true. That he has been getting honest feedback
He said he felt like he played "OK" on the weekend, but didn't think he'd be dropped and said he talked with VB and Nicks about it.

"Disappointed and frustrated" were the main words he used at the start. "Blindsided" may have been the extra bit of editorial mayo added on.

He said he felt like he played "OK" on the weekend, but didn't think he'd be dropped and said he talked with VB and Nicks about it.

"Disappointed and frustrated" were the main words he used at the start. "Blindsided" may have been the extra bit of editorial mayo added on.
Keays was worse than him on the weekend, though he has been much better over the course of the year.

Also, as much as I wanted him dropped, the media going after him feels a bit rough. No need to rub his face in it.

Keays was worse than him on the weekend, though he has been much better over the course of the year.

Also, as much as I wanted him dropped, the media going after him feels a bit rough. No need to rub his face in it.
In terms of balance though Crouch is the obvious choice to be removed. We've been outta whack ever since he came back, I doubt they're judging it on just one game. They tried to force him back in and it hasn't worked.

Good riddance.

Usually pretty restrained but watching this bloke plod around for the last five years has been as unpleasant as it gets. I hope he never wears the tricolours again.

Even at his best, he played such a limited & low damage game that it's questionable if we were better for his presence. Now he's a bloke who gets a few seagull cheapies, refuses to take the game forward and floats around on defence without care. The side is infinitely better with a young fella who'll at least show some tenacity and aggression and try and take it forward; the game has got faster and Matt has got slower. It's a terrible mix.

If we think we'll get anything for him on the open market we're deluded. Low hurt, slow, and unaccountable inside mids are dime a dozen over the whole league. Blokes (who I'd suggest are better players) like Luke Dunstan only had one suitor and that was as a reserves/depth player. Crouch is worse. Best thing to do is just let him run out his contract, thank him for his service, and hope to hell he doesn't stunt any more kids development by taking up the on-ball time in the magoos.

I can't believe this was only 7 weeks ago. Now it's doubly relevant. Thanks for the service, Matt, but it's time. Never again.

I'm sure he was blindsided, 100% wouldn't have been dropped if not for the external noise this week.
A lot of players make those around them look better like Tex and Butts. Matt Crouch makes everyone around him worse. Keays and Laird have been shithouse since his return. All they do is handball it around in a circle because Matt keeps calling for it and the opposition clearly don't rate him and leave him free.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

did he like, rewatch any of his games this season?

the man has not been able to adjust his style to modern football. even brad has managed to get more two way running in his game at st kilda. matt stands out like a sore thumb, he doesnt have the size and strength of bigger midfielders, or the speed and evasiveness of smaller midfielders, nor the explosiveness and ability to get the ball forward. he's just kind of stuck as an accumulator.

I only watched the first half last week, but I was swearing at Crouch on the TV much less than all previous weeks, so his performance was less noticeably bad. Therefore, he might think he was hard done by, but he wasn't. It looks like the judgement was on his performance over a period, as it should be.

But, I would definitely have dropped Doedee this week, based simply as a reaction to his ridiculous howler kick across the ground in defence, leading to a goal for the oppo. Some education needs to be harsh. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe this was only 7 weeks ago. Now it's doubly relevant. Thanks for the service, Matt, but it's time. Never again.
It appears the game has past him by... & he is incapable of adapting.

Unless both Laird & Keays are injured, he shouldn't play again.

We are better off investing in Schoenberg, Pedlar, Jones, etc.

Would even prefer McHenry have midfield minutes.

Yep. Should never play again unless we have zero better extractors available. Which means Laird, Keays, Hately, Berry & Schoenberg, potentially Pedlar & Jones too. Just a terrible fit. He already played an outdated style (reasonably well) early on, but him losing 10% of his athleticism and the 6/6/6 & stand rules have just made it redundant.

And nothing is more embarrassing than the media campaign the senior players go on when they're not getting their way. Crouch straight to the news crying poor me. Tex straight to the news when he doesn't get 2 years at 800k. Sloane straight to the news whenever there's talk of 'kids' going into the midfield rotation in 2023. Just shut the * up. You've had your time. You nearly got there in 2017, but it wasn't to be. It's time for something new now. It's bloody embarrassing and a cultural disgrace.

Crouch blind sided by the axing, or is it a case that he believes that being axed is beyond him?

Didn't Nick's say earlier in the week that their has been further conversations with Matt on his defensive running and impact?

Time to move him to the side, I still think there will be couple clubs willing to pick him up next year.

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

to be fair to crouch…

it seems impossible, given how bad crouch currently is, but keays has actually been playing even worse in the last three or four weeks..

both of them have been utter garbage… yet only one seems to have coped most of the media attention.

but still.. suck s**t.. hope the entitled prick never plays for us again.. cannot believe how disgusting it is we moved a younger player, who was just starting to show something, out of position just to accomodate this useless crab. and here he is sooking at being dropped….

Yep. Should never play again unless we have zero better extractors available. Which means Laird, Keays, Hately, Berry & Schoenberg, potentially Pedlar & Jones too. Just a terrible fit. He already played an outdated style (reasonably well) early on, but him losing 10% of his athleticism and the 6/6/6 & stand rules have just made it redundant.

And nothing is more embarrassing than the media campaign the senior players go on when they're not getting their way. Crouch straight to the news crying poor me. Tex straight to the news when he doesn't get 2 years at 800k. Sloane straight to the news whenever there's talk of 'kids' going into the midfield rotation in 2023. Just shut the * up. You've had your time. You nearly got there in 2017, but it wasn't to be. It's time for something new now. It's bloody embarrassing and a cultural disgrace.
I don't agree on the judgement of player reaction. If you're going to get sacked, you're entitled to try anything to retain your job.
Where the problem lies is if the club administration is lacking the fortitude to ignore this. We need hard heads in that area.

to be fair to crouch…

it seems impossible, given how bad crouch currently is, but keays has actually been playing even worse in the last three or four weeks..

both of them have been utter garbage… yet only one seems to have coped most of the media attention.

but still.. suck s**t.. hope the entitled prick never plays for us again.. cannot believe how disgusting it is we moved a younger player, who was just starting to show something, out of position just to accomodate this useless crab. and here he is sooking at being dropped….
No, Crouch has been awful all year, whereas Keays would be top 5 in our B&F.

Crazy to compare these 2.

Crouch blind sided by the axing, or is it a case that he believes that being axed is beyond him?

Didn't Nick's say earlier in the week that their has been further conversations with Matt on his defensive running and impact?

Time to move him to the side, I still think there will be couple clubs willing to pick him up next year.

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think North Melbourne would take him.

No, Crouch has been awful all year, whereas Keays would be top 5 in our B&F.

Crazy to compare these 2.
I didnt compare them over the entire year.. i was talking about the last few weeks.. and both have been equally atrocious..

In fact it could be easily argued that crouch played a lot better last weekend than keays.

Keays was one of our worst on ground against the suns..

I didnt compare them over the entire year.. i was talking about the last few weeks.. and both have been equally atrocious..

In fact it could be easily argued that crouch played a lot better last weekend than keays.

Keays was one of our worst on ground against the suns..
Let me make this simple for you...

Crouch has been crap ALL season.

Keays may have had a bad game last week like most, but is top 5 in our B&F & has been decent in most of our games.

Their respective form is not comparable!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back