List Mgmt. Mitch Clark Delisted 24/10/16

Remove this Banner Ad

And quite often wrong, like the rest of us.
Of course. He's harshly criticised for his opinions despite being on the money at times

Of course. He's harshly criticised for his opinions despite being on the money at times

ha, i think there is an obvious reason for that, dont you? A lot of people think, or know, that they are harshly insulted/abused by him regularly. Anyway, let's not get into that.

Too right. Like the H-Mac we were right as a club to make a gamble on players getting over their injuries and getting right for footy. Hindsight says different, but then again hindsight's always crystal clear isn't it?We've gambled again on Aaron Black. Will it pay off?

I bloody hope it pays off. Hope is the only thing us good ordinary punters can do in situations like this.

Reasonable point, but disagree about the 'hindsight' part. McIntosh and Clark's problems weren't just there in hindsight; they were screamingly obvious before we signed them.

No as soon as the words 'depression' or 'mental illness' people now are terrified of making any criticisms at all. It shouldn't make any difference to the waste of time his recruitment was.

Ok, I agree with that. Whilst I think it's great that a destigmatisation of mental illness is occurring, it appears that peoples behaviours can be now totally justified or explained if they are diagnosed with depression. Having depression shouldn't absolve you of still acting like a decent human being. As we have seen recently with a few media personalities, being diagnosed with depression is almost now a convenient excuse or fallback for acting like a prick.

Feels like we've never gotten the full story where Clark is concerned. From the, what, year long(?) calf, to the pumping up in the media after a couple of strong VFL games, to the strange match committee choice against Sydney, to the abrupt dropping, to the Mitch Duncan "nothing-to-see-here, Caro has it wrong even though we will never speak of him again" scenario, dropping off the face of the earth, then delisting when we have only two key forwards left on our list, one of them green.

Yeah GFC, we never noticed all that stuff. We're simpletons, rah-rah-rah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like we've never gotten the full story where Clark is concerned. From the, what, year long(?) calf, to the pumping up in the media after a couple of strong VFL games, to the strange match committee choice against Sydney, to the abrupt dropping, to the Mitch Duncan "nothing-to-see-here, Caro has it wrong even though we will never speak of him again" scenario, dropping off the face of the earth, then delisting when we have only two key forwards left on our list, one of them green.

Yeah GFC, we never noticed all that stuff. We're simpletons, rah-rah-rah.

I don't know.....why can't it just be that a combination of injuries and personal issues meant he never got back to his best? We tried him once, saw he was still a long way off it, and he never got close to a look in again. We seem to be finally clearing house this trade period, so booting him after trading Vardy/Kersten makes perfect sense. No conspiracy there.

The Duncan stuff is just Woman's Day gossip fodder.....hardly a big deal one way or the other.

Just saw Andrejs Everitt was delisted by the Blues. I guess his value drops because he can't dominate against us anymore, but could he be an option if we simply tell him to 'Do what you do against Geelong' all the time?

Your argument is muted by the fact we drafted black.
Disagree. Black will be on the park more often than Clark is. On top of that, we cleared out a lot of dead wood who either had a chance and did very little, or had no chance and did very little. And to clear that out, bring in Black and a few others as either a shot in the dark or some young talent to develop is a smart move.

Why did we not delist him as soon as possible and at least provide food for thought in regard to Vardy's future? We now have few options for a second key forward, throw in a couple of injuries and we might be in trouble. Here's to you Wylie Buzza; your time is NOW (well next year anyway).

Why did we not delist him as soon as possible and at least provide food for thought in regard to Vardy's future? We now have few options for a second key forward, throw in a couple of injuries and we might be in trouble. Here's to you Wylie Buzza; your time is NOW (well next year anyway).
The timing of the delisting of Clark is irrelevant. Every player has a meeting with the club at the end of the year and know exactly where they stand for the year ahead. Vardy would have been told that Stanley & Smith are ahead of him and it is highly unlikely that all three of them will play in the same team.

The timing of the delisting of Clark is irrelevant. Every player has a meeting with the club at the end of the year and know exactly where they stand for the year ahead. Vardy would have been told that Stanley & Smith are ahead of him and it is highly unlikely that all three of them will play in the same team.
That is pure speculation. Vardy was also competing for a spot on the forward line, had he known that Clark was going he may have had second thoughts about leaving. We are now in the position of probably having to use one of Stanley/Henderson/Taylor as a key forward next year, not much depth in the event of a couple of strategic injuries. As I said I don't have a problem with delisting Clark but it should have happened sooner prior to Vardy nicking off.

You have no way of knowing that. Besides, they're ahead of him as ruckmen, not as a key forward.

Reasonable point, but disagree about the 'hindsight' part. McIntosh and Clark's problems weren't just there in hindsight; they were screamingly obvious before we signed them.

Oh, they were there alright. I mean that the gamble isn't won or lost until it's proven too late. Then only in hindsight is the decision terrible.

I still think the club should gamble in future, like it has now on Aaron Black. It might be s**t and we might burn our fingers yet again, but what if...?

Oh, they were there alright. I mean that the gamble isn't won or lost until it's proven too late. Then only in hindsight is the decision terrible.

I still think the club should gamble in future, like it has now on Aaron Black. It might be s**t and we might burn our fingers yet again, but what if...?

Agreed. I was supportive of both the McIntosh and the Clark trades at the time they were made. In 2013 we made the prelim - our most glaring deficiency being a decent ruck. What if McIntosh had been fit...? In 2016 we again make the prelim, this time a decent second key forward being our most glaring deficiency. What if Clark had been fit/available/in form/not hated by the club/whatever the reason for him not playing...?

No doubt there were serious and obvious concerns at the time each trade was made, and in hindsight those that thought they were too risky have been vindicated. But I'm a gambler at heart and I'd rather the club be bold and willing to go for glory, than always take the safe approach which, in my opinion, is no more or less likely to succeed in the long run anyway.

Agreed. I was supportive of both the McIntosh and the Clark trades at the time they were made. In 2013 we made the prelim - our most glaring deficiency being a decent ruck. What if McIntosh had been fit...?
What if West had been played? What if Geelong had drafted Grundy?

In 2016 we again make the prelim, this time a decent second key forward being our most glaring deficiency. What if Clark had been fit/available/in form/not hated by the club/whatever the reason for him not playing...?
What if Kersten had been played? What if Walker had been kept? What if, instead of playing four key backs all year, one of those backs (Taylor/Henderson) was given substantial time as a forward all season to mold them into the role rather than desperately throwing one of them into the role in the last few rounds of the season and then in a cut-throat prelim after weeks missed due to injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back