Most disappointing flash in the pan player

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Which player from your side or another did you have massive hopes for only to see him fade after early signs, at Melbourne we have had a few wonnamirri being the latest

But for sure the most disappointing is Brock McLean , wow he had early potential as a clearance an contested monster and if you can't remember dees fans watch the Mel stkilda 06 elim final on YouTube it's weird cause he actually looks quick against the saints midfield

Which player from your side or another did you have massive hopes for only to see him fade after early signs, at Melbourne we have had a few wonnamirri being the latest

But for sure the most disappointing is Brock McLean , wow he had early potential as a clearance an contested monster and if you can't remember dees fans watch the Mel stkilda 06 elim final on YouTube it's weird cause he actually looks quick against the saints midfield

McLean was absolutely awesome in that final. He looked a bona-fide long-term star.

For Richmond, while we've had a few one-game wonders (Marty McGrath, Steven Jurica, even Richard Lounder sort-of), the two that stand out in recent years are Brent Hartigan and Andrew Raines. Both were draft picks in the 70s, both held down Half-back in their early years, and both looked like guns.

There's a probably a fair few if I thought about it some more but the first one that came to mind was David Spriggs.

In 2008 I definitely didn't expect injury plagued Xavier Ellis and Clinton Young to be on the fringe in 2012, hopefully they can return to that grand final form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From old Fitzroy, I remember a bloke called Dale Fleming.

He'd been tearing it up in the reserves for a few weeks, got called into the senior team, and promptly kicked four goals in a stirring win over Carlton. A big career was on the cards!

Never heard of him again.

not because of lack of trying but for me Paul Lynch.
Had ENORMOUS talent yet every time he played a senior game he got a soft tissue injury.
I remember reading at the time that they considered him (at the time) the most pure talent the cats had.

Alwyn Davey

To be fair he came to prominence in a year when Sheedy took forward line tackling to a new level. He broke his arm and missed the end of the year, then did his knee and missed most of the next. By the time he was back in 09 he was short of confidence and all teams had forward tackling speed machines like him and he couldn't catch defenders unawares any more. Now that you need an offensive side to your game he's been left wanting by being captain fumbles.

However, it is a good nomination. He was my sons first hero, he was 8 in 07, and so him and his younger brother both play with 29 on their backs. From there he's not even a senior regular. Appparently his twin sons are pretty good so Essendon has to help him eek another 40 games or so from his career so it isn't a total loss!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back