Rumour New List Manager - Matthew Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney didn't 'need' Buddy either. That's kind of working out ok for them. I'd be shocked if they win any less than 3 of the next 7 premierships.

If Jeremy Cameron wants to play for the Adelaide Crows (this is probably a 1% chance at best) then we have to make it happen. End of story. He's a far better long-term AFL prospect than any player on our list. In fact, as far as players under 21 years of age go, he and O'Meara are streets ahead of anyone else in any position. Absolute superstars in the making.

There is absolutely no way O'Meara is streets ahead of Brad Crouch, in fact personally I'd take Crouch over O'Meara every day of the week.

only because half a dozen have been poached already

Well, exactly. You could easily argue that Rendell saw that there was going to be a problem with retaining talls in an environment where new clubs with more money than God were coming into the comp, and everyone else was going to have their draft picks pushed out 20 places, and cleverly stocked up to weather the storm.

For that matter, after taking over the list management role, Noble immediately went and traded for Sam Jacobs, Tom Lynch, Lewis Johnston and Josh Jenkins. Obviously he thought we needed talls as well! :p

Well, exactly. You could easily argue that Rendell saw that there was going to be a problem with retaining talls in an environment where new clubs with more money than God were coming into the comp, and everyone else was going to have their draft picks pushed out 20 places, and cleverly stocked up to weather the storm.

For that matter, after taking over the list management role, Noble immediately went and traded for Sam Jacobs, Tom Lynch, Lewis Johnston and Josh Jenkins. Obviously he thought we needed talls as well! :p

So on the back of Trigg leaving, we now have rumours about both Harper and Chapman leaving, Bickley being moved out of the coaches box, Rendell coming back, and Jeremy Cameron coming to the Crows.

Surely that couldn't all happen, right? It would be too amazing to actually be true.
I would be happy if just half of it came true! :)

his return would be a bit of a slap in the face to the bloke who sacked him. it'd be nice if they got to work together for a couple of weeks before triggy finishes up.

If it were to be Rendell, that might well happen, as Rowey is saying that the next big announcement is the appointment of a List Manager, to be announced next week.

However, he is also saying that it's definitely not Rendell. He says he's been working the phones and that it's down to one of 2 people, both who are List Managers at their respective clubs, with Geelong's highly regarded List Manager of 20 years, Stephen Wells, being one of them, and in Rowey's opinion, a big chance to be the man.

Interesting times at the moment, Matty, with the List Manager appointment being only one of a series of changes to be progressively announced as the weeks go by according to Rowey.

Looks like the Old Boys' Club is going to be dismantled by Roo and co.

Rowey ruled out Rendell, did bring up Stephen Wells' name though. Which makes me equally excited.
I would be even more excited as best in the business IMO.

Edit: Just realised you said Rowey brought it up - so got my hopes up prematurely!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is absolutely no way O'Meara is streets ahead of Brad Crouch, in fact personally I'd take Crouch over O'Meara every day of the week.
Both are going to be guns IMO.

Just glad we have 1 of them ... & his brother :)

If it were to be Rendell, that might well happen, as Rowey is saying that the next big announcement is the appointment of a List Manager, to be announced next week.

However, he is also saying that it's definitely not Rendell. He says he's been working the phones and that it's down to one of 2 people, both who are List Managers at their respective clubs, with Geelong's highly regarded List Manager of 20 years, Stephen Wells, being one of them, and in Rowey's opinion, a big chance to be the man.

Interesting times at the moment, Matty, with the List Manager appointment being only one of a series of changes to be progressively announced as the weeks go by according to Rowey.

Looks like the Old Boys' Club is going to be dismantled by Roo and co.

yep, looks like a bit of a shake-up. let's hope the coins in the bank to match the apparent will to recruit some absolute quality. I'm sure it is even if we only end up with the quoted $3m cash uplift this year. until a week ago I wasn't going to renew my memberships. reality is that I haven't seen a game this year and unless we make the finals, I won't. even then it's likely to be somewhere other than AO. I'm very excited, all the right noises are coming out the club, unless it's triggy talking up his legacy of course.

The Rendell sacking was the biggest overreaction I had seen for many moons.

I don't want to go back over old ground but his comments were actually born out of his passion for aboriginal development.

Anyway - would love to have him back and it was a sad day when he left. Always gave the best interviews!
Was too honest for AFC management - where appearances (ie. BS spin was) more important than actually doing a good job!

yep, looks like a bit of a shake-up. let's hope the coins in the bank to match the apparent will to recruit some absolute quality. I'm sure it is even if we only end up with the quoted $3m cash uplift this year. until a week ago I wasn't going to renew my memberships. reality is that I haven't seen a game this year and unless we make the finals, I won't. even then it's likely to be somewhere other than AO. I'm very excited, all the right noises are coming out the club, unless it's triggy talking up his legacy of course.

Forget Trigg - he's going Matty and has no input at all into the changes that are coming.

I don't know whether Chapman realises this or not, but all these changes will IMO set him up for the flick in the future once everything eventually has settled down, with Roo the likely candidate to take his job.

The most important relationship in any business/organization/ club is that between the man who controls the operational side (CEO) and the man who controls the ultimate decision makers (the Chairman). For this reason the chairman is always involved in the selection process of a new CEO. However, according to Chappy, our selection panel is Jim Hazel, Bob Foord and Roo which if correct screams out that Roo is going to be the next Chairman of the club.

If Roo treats his role at Board level in the same vein as his playing career, he won't be hanging around waiting forever either. He'll serve his apprenticeship being involved in everything that a Chair would otherwise be involved in and when the time is right within the next couple of years will make his move to be the Chair.

And as he's been involved in the selection of the next CEO, a good working relationship between the 2 will be guaranteed.

I should have mentioned re Trigg that he's been isolated from being involved in anything at the Club other than the negotiations for a better deal at Adelaide Oval and any other nameless mundane job that they may ask him to do. I wouldn't be surprised to even see him wind up early with Chapman taking over that Adelaide Oval negotiation role.

Forget Trigg - he's going Matty and has no input at all into the changes that are coming.

I don't know whether Chapman realises this or not, but all these changes will IMO set him up for the flick in the future once everything eventually has settled down, with Roo the likely candidate to take his job.

The most important relationship in any business/organization/ club is that between the man who controls the operational side (CEO) and the man who controls the ultimate decision makers (the Chairman). For this reason the chairman is always involved in the selection process of a new CEO. However, according to Chappy, our selection panel is Jim Hazel, Bob Foord and Roo which if correct screams out that Roo is going to be the next Chairman of the club.

If Roo treats his role at Board level in the same vein as his playing career, he won't be hanging around waiting forever either. He'll serve his apprenticeship being involved in everything that a Chair would otherwise be involved in and when the time is right within the next couple of years will make his move to be the Chair.

And as he's been involved in the selection of the next CEO, a good working relationship between the 2 will be guaranteed.

I should have mentioned re Trigg that he's been isolated from being involved in anything at the Club other than the negotiations for a better deal at Adelaide Oval and any other nameless mundane job that they may ask him to do. I wouldn't be surprised to even see him wind up early with Chapman taking over that Adelaide Oval negotiation role.

It would be pretty difficult/frustrating for the CEO having a Chairman that didn't understand big business. I know the go is for Presidents to be well-known and respected media types but it's probably not ideal in a pure business sense unless it's a symbolic role only.

did put something in the triggy resign thread suggesting a strained relationship between trigg and club. I thought it was pretty funny and was expecting many likes, but twas just the one sadly. did it on the weekend and it started with chappy telling trigg he better get his skates on because we're starting to run out of projects to explain why he's still here. anyway, if spackler had posted it, there would have been international acclaim.

I know roo is getting a lot of credit. but, even though I've never spoken to anyone that works at the club, I have this feeling that noble moving into control of the the footy dept has shed a bit of light and perhaps escalated some issues to the forefront of board members consciousness. obviously, roo getting involved provides another level of impetus, but looking from (very) afar, I think nobles promotion may not be getting the recognition it deserves.

It would be pretty difficult/frustrating for the CEO having a Chairman that didn't understand big business. I know the go is for Presidents to be well-known and respected media types but it's probably not ideal in a pure business sense unless it's a symbolic role only.

Not sure whether you're saying that Roo hasn't got the appropriate business acumen to be a good Chairman, but let me re-assure you that Roo has been very well mentored in this area by Peter Hurley, a director of the AFC, as has Goody, both in theory and in practice. As a result Roo has a string of commercial interests of his own, and could certainly buy and sell most people, having built up considerable assets through these ventures.

Roo has all the qualifications to be our next Chairman, including business acumen, and IMO certainly will be within the next couple of years.

did put something in the triggy resign thread suggesting a strained relationship between trigg and club. I thought it was pretty funny and was expecting many likes, but twas just the one sadly. did it on the weekend and it started with chappy telling trigg he better get his skates on because we're starting to run out of projects to explain why he's still here. anyway, if spackler had posted it, there would have been international acclaim.

I know roo is getting a lot of credit. but, even though I've never spoken to anyone that works at the club, I have this feeling that noble moving into control of the the footy dept has shed a bit of light and perhaps escalated some issues to the forefront of board members consciousness. obviously, roo getting involved provides another level of impetus, but looking from (very) afar, I think nobles promotion may not be getting the recognition it deserves.

My heart bleeds for you Matty re the lack of acclaim for your unrecognized piece of brilliance. :(

Right, having got that bullshit out the way, I have no doubt that Noble's move into total control of the footy department will flush out areas of incompetence that may well have either not been recognized or conveniently just tucked away. The significance of it is pretty big IMO as it appears that the club think that they have that part of the club in good hands now with some changes to come under Noble, which IMO will NOT be limited to the List Manager. It's only my opinion bit I'd be amazed if our fitness staff weren't almost completely revamped for starters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back