MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL thread: 2018 Edition: Weighed in the balance, who will be found wanting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is the GC has 650,000 people. I think a 4-4-3 split can work with North as it will maintain a chunk of the Melbourne supporter base while picking up ~30-40k in Tassie. GC would pick up the Tassie element, but at the loss of the GC population.

Besides, the issue with GC isn't the location or supporters, it's that the joint has been mismanaged beyond anything else.

I don't see them splitting games between Launy and Hobart, even though the whole North-South thing is a... thing. Launy should be the home town (1.5 hour drive to Burnie and 2 and a bit to Hobart) and be developed as a genuine home ground; though the AFL has kind of shot them in the foot by letting Hawthorn get a lot of the support already. I did a fair bit of work in northern Tassie in 2014 and the majority were Hawks supporters. I suppose that would change if they had their own team, but a relocated Melbourne team?

I don't see them splitting games between Launy and Hobart, even though the whole North-South thing is a... thing. Launy should be the home town (1.5 hour drive to Burnie and 2 and a bit to Hobart) and be developed as a genuine home ground; though the AFL has kind of shot them in the foot by letting Hawthorn get a lot of the support already. I did a fair bit of work in northern Tassie in 2014 and the majority were Hawks supporters. I suppose that would change if they had their own team, but a relocated Melbourne team?

I reckon if you put a tassie badge with the green colours on a relocated team the Tasmanians would get right behind it. Give them an Academy just like GWS and let them develop their own players and it would work.

I reckon if you put a tassie badge with the green colours on a relocated team the Tasmanians would get right behind it. Give them an Academy just like GWS and let them develop their own players and it would work.

Agree 100% if it's a new team, but if it's the Tasmania Kangaroos with blue and white striped strip I think many in northern Tas will say, "No thanks, I've already got an AFL club I support." Anyway, we'll wait and see. <trolls lurking Norf supporters>

Problem is the GC has 650,000 people. I think a 4-4-3 split can work with North as it will maintain a chunk of the Melbourne supporter base while picking up ~30-40k in Tassie. GC would pick up the Tassie element, but at the loss of the GC population.

Besides, the issue with GC isn't the location or supporters, it's that the joint has been mismanaged beyond anything else.

The Gold Coast simply isn't a sporting city. The Titans have averaged 15k in their home crowds over the last 10 years. Suns have averaged 14k. Hobart has a smaller population but at least they are interested in the sport.

Agree 100% if it's a new team, but if it's the Tasmania Kangaroos with blue and white striped strip I think many in northern Tas will say, "No thanks, I've already got an AFL club I support." Anyway, we'll wait and see. <trolls lurking Norf supporters>

Yeah I was thinking they would wear the green. If it's tassie kangaroos then yeah the kangaroos fans will stay plus a few hawks but not all.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-11/amon-calling-timetrial-king-keeps-on-running

I hope these two boys do well, I have no animosity for either of them.
You would be happy to hear that the reports coming out of the Port internal trial game yesterday are rather positive for both players. Pretty solid workout evidently with players going in hard all game.Supporters looking forward to the JLT series to get another look at them both. Another player that has his own thread did not play as he had a wedding to attend.

Sam McClure reporting that Lachie Henderson hasn't trained since December - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/12/cats-star-battling-to-make-the-start-line/

I think the headline stating he's "Battling" to play Round 1 is very generous, 5 weeks out from Round 1 and he hasn't run in 2 months, put a line through him for the first month of the season minimum, which leaves their backline in big trouble! Hoges and TMac should have a field day in Round 1

Sam McClure reporting that Lachie Henderson hasn't trained since December - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/12/cats-star-battling-to-make-the-start-line/

I think the headline stating he's "Battling" to play Round 1 is very generous, 5 weeks out from Round 1 and he hasn't run in 2 months, put a line through him for the first month of the season minimum, which leaves their backline in big trouble! Hoges and TMac should have a field day in Round 1

That is a pretty big blow, he has been a really good pickup for the Cats.

That's actually a huge out, Henderson was all set to be their backline anchor with Taylor, they really don't have the KPD depth.

No Scott Selwood and No Henderson. Are the planets aligning? (Waits for Geelong's uber ultimate midfield replies)
Another soft tissue injury for Grandpa Ablett probably isn't far away (Note: I'm not wishing for it to happen, merely remarking that 30+ year olds with a history of soft tissue injuries rarely throw off said affliction ... I know this because I'm 30+ with a history of soft tissue injuries.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another soft tissue injury for Grandpa Ablett probably isn't far away (Note: I'm not wishing for it to happen, merely remarking that 30+ year olds with a history of soft tissue injuries rarely throw off said affliction ... I know this because I'm 30+ with a history of soft tissue injuries.)

His religious beliefs that stop him from taking anti-inflammatory's would not help either.

tenor.gif

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/co...g/news-story/4b14fe1269b68ed21c18eb113ec1ba78

.095 on your Ps, how bloody dumb can you be.

At least when Clarry did it all the reports were he had one drink and blew over because you are .00 on your Ps.

Considering how many players on AFL lists are between the age of 18 and 25 now surprised it doesn't happen more often
I'd think the majority realise what they've got to lose by doing something so stupid.

.095 on your Ps, how bloody dumb can you be.

At least when Clarry did it all the reports were he had one drink and blew over because you are .00 on your Ps.
Not to mention that its a week out from the JTL, and a month from Round 1, and this time last year broke his hand in a bar fight and lied to the club about it, and these are just the issues that have come out in the media, if rumours are to be believed, there is a laundry list of issues around the bloke, his name will surely come up for trade again this year.

Considering how many players on AFL lists are between the age of 18 and 25 now surprised it doesn't happen more often
It does happen. That is, the drink driving. It’s just the odds are decent on any given occasion that you won’t be caught.

I don’t drive though which is nice because I can be as disapproving as I want on these occasions.

Buckley: "Obviously its not ideal but the club is real proud of him because he didn't try & cover it up this time. We believe this shows signs of great leadership."
For a moment I thought that was real.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back