Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elijah Hewett was the worst kick in the AFL by a fairly significant margin in 2023, for what it's worth
If I was a Weags fan I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

He easily has the highest threat rating of his kicks so has a mindset to take the risk and try and attack. Once he adjusts to the tempo of AFL and polishes up his skills a bit, he could be a bit of a game breaker.

Compare him to someone like Michael Hibberd...s**t retention and takes no risks (and not a ruckman).

If I was a Weags fan I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

He easily has the highest threat rating of his kicks so has a mindset to take the risk and try and attack. Once he adjusts to the tempo of AFL and polishes up his skills a bit, he could be a bit of a game breaker.

Compare him to someone like Michael Hibberd...s**t retention and takes no risks (and not a ruckman).
I think you are miss reading that threat rating.

I think you are miss reading that threat rating.
My reading is the threat rating is measured by how likely that kick is to result in a shot at goal...ie how does the kick open up play and allow the ball to move forward to create a shot at goal.

Kicks that are short, dinky and sideways will decrease the threat rating while 45 degree, centering kicks that open up play (but are easier to pick off) will increase the threat rating.

I take it all back if I have scrambled this.

I'm a Hewitt fan regardless...wish we had him.

My reading is the threat rating is measured by how likely that kick is to result in a shot at goal...ie how does the kick open up play and allow the ball to move forward to create a shot at goal.

Kicks that are short, dinky and sideways will decrease the threat rating while 45 degree, centering kicks that open up play (but are easier to pick off) will increase the threat rating.

I take it all back if I have scrambled this.

I'm a Hewitt fan regardless...wish we had him.
thats right but Hewitt has the worst threat rating on that list but that goes hand in hand with low retention as well

I wish but can’t see Collingwood dropping off too much. I suppose a bit depends on if Sidebottom & Pendlebury don’t really drop away but the Daicos kids are just getting started. They have a great defense & it doesn’t matter who is up forward that much. Elliot had a poor year by his standards and they have a few average players up there but it’s their game style & buy in that’s winning them games.
No one can go with them when they get their tails up.
It’s what worried me the most last year. Reminded me of when Lyon could beat anyone but Hawthorn.
Our style is never going to worry teams like Collingwood.

I wish but can’t see Collingwood dropping off too much. I suppose a bit depends on if Sidebottom & Pendlebury don’t really drop away but the Daicos kids are just getting started. They have a great defense & it doesn’t matter who is up forward that much. Elliot had a poor year by his standards and they have a few average players up there but it’s their game style & buy in that’s winning them games.
It’s what worried me the most last year. Reminded me of when Lyon could beat anyone but Hawthorn.

Too fast, too powerful

McRae has given Longmuir 3 sound beatings when up against each other in the past 2 years.

Divided on Hewitt. He went through colts a bit before one of my sons and they played together a few times. Consequently I have some interest in his career and wish him well but he is a Weavil.

How about you shine every now and then, Hewitt, just to keep ‘em keen, but choke like an eggsucking dog when it counts.

Divided on Hewitt. He went through colts a bit before one of my sons and they played together a few times. Consequently I have some interest in his career and wish him well but he is a Weavil.

How about you shine every now and then, Hewitt, just to keep ‘em keen, but choke like an eggsucking dog when it counts.
Read a lot of rumors about his character after he was drafted, since he is a west coast player im inclined to believe them all.

I'm not going to potshot Hewitt or Ginbey and would happily have either. In an ugly world if Erasmus and Ginbey wanted to change clubs, so be it. Long term I think Erasmus has him covered. But they are just a bunch of young fellas finding their way in the AFL and until one of them smashes someone's jaw off play, good luck to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media aren’t allowed to report on the whole story, so wonder if it’s a cheeky way to report on what he’s actually been up to, without saying it.

Yes, there are underlying health issues at play, but he’s not doing himself any favours from all accounts.

Would be different if he’s legitimately trying to get his act together.

Am I being too sensitive or is that not great form to have this image on the AFL website accompanying the story of Oliver's personal problems?

It really is a great photo. I lol’d at the facial expression, not the context btw.

In all seriousness I hope he is getting the support he needs and can turn things around. He’s only young and has a lot of life ahead of him.

If you chose to believe even some of the many rumours swirling around Melbourne in recent weeks, this is a troubled kid in a pretty poor place mentally. It’s not beyond the bounds of possibility he doesnt play AFL footy again according to some folk connected to the Demons.
Just hope he gets himself right somehow and gets back on track soon and playing well again. Everyone loves a redemption story so would be great to see him turn it around.

I reckon Luke Jackson will not be regretting his decision to leave when he did one little bit.

Hamstring injury today for Liam Ryan just after talks that he was going to sign a new multi-year deal. (source P. Sweeney). Multi year deal means 2 years.

Hamstring injury today for Liam Ryan just after talks that he was going to sign a new multi-year deal. (source P. Sweeney). Multi year deal means 2 years.

Bit early in the season to be playing the injuries card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back