News Off-field discussion - AGM discussion - General Governance, board etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well clearly the voters didn't regard her as qualified as Silk and Shearer. But she has regulatory, compliance and governance experience so yes - she's qualified to sit on a board. Way to diminish her legal skills by calling her a 'suburban litigator' though - classy effort!

"You are ******* kidding me! I’ve cleared that tray three ******* times!"

Can everyone entering into the fray of this conversation please realise this isn't a John Grisham novel and there is no disgrace with being a litigator in this country.
And no disgrace being a "suburban lawyer" either. Lots of them do very good work and are really important in the community

Tend to agree with Scotty that it is a bullshit award.

" ..... He scoffs at the suggestion that his change of mind coincides with the impending end of Kennett’s successive terms as club president.

Sure, he thinks Kennett needs “to keep his mouth shut” and feels that the club got “played” by haloed coach, Alastair Clarkson, who left in contentious circumstances at the end of last season....."

" ..... He scoffs at the suggestion that his change of mind coincides with the impending end of Kennett’s successive terms as club president.

Sure, he thinks Kennett needs “to keep his mouth shut” and feels that the club got “played” by haloed coach, Alastair Clarkson, who left in contentious circumstances at the end of last season....."
I tend to think don is just hard to please these days, you would think at a time where their may be a lack of connection to the club/world with covid that the clubs gestures would be seen to be positive and a step in a good direction but Cleary not.

Dermies video on the hawks site is quality

I tend to think don is just hard to please these days, you would think at a time where their may be a lack of connection to the club/world with covid that the clubs gestures would be seen to be positive and a step in a good direction but Cleary not.

Dermies video on the hawks site is quality

Don is fairly extensively on record that he dislikes pretty much most things to do with modern footy and how clubs operate now.

Don is fairly extensively on record that he dislikes pretty much most things to do with modern footy and how clubs operate now.
Personally hate this take from past greats but I do understand it, just think at some point you can enjoy what their is vs what theirs not

He might need to get over that, even country footy clubs are now different to when I was a boy.
So a professional club will have very little similarities to when he was a player

The board is too corporate heavy, and has lost the balance of football and business credentials, Scott says.

“I just can’t handle what’s going on at the moment with regard to Hawthorn,” he says.

“He (Kennett) is just too outspoken and there’s a lack of consultation and lack of knowing how a football club works.

He might need to get over that, even country footy clubs are now different to when I was a boy.
So a professional club will have very little similarities to when he was a player

Pretty sure he’s jaded there also. He used to say he was only interested in his local footy club but I saw comments not so long ago that he has seen the same things he doesn’t like in professional footy creeping in also like you’ve said.

The board is too corporate heavy, and has lost the balance of football and business credentials, Scott says.

“I just can’t handle what’s going on at the moment with regard to Hawthorn,” he says.

“He (Kennett) is just too outspoken and there’s a lack of consultation and lack of knowing how a football club works.

Don should know better than most what happens when you don’t have enough corporate acumen at board level. Boards need to be concerned with governance and making sure we keep the lights on - let the footy department handle the footy related issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don should know better than most what happens when you don’t have enough corporate acumen at board level. Boards need to be concerned with governance and making sure we keep the lights on - let the footy department handle the footy related issues.
Agreed. We've faltered a couple of times but there's also fair evidence from the last 15 years that we've got it right.

If he wants old school footy-club feel without the annoying corporate governance crap then maybe give Carlton or Essendon a call?!

Agreed. We've faltered a couple of times but there's also fair evidence from the last 15 years that we've got it right.

If he wants old school footy-club feel without the annoying corporate governance crap then maybe give Carlton or Essendon a call?!

Richmond's board is absolutely corporate heavy - outside of Gale there is only one other former player on there. Doubt anyone is questioning that board's results at present. Don's only human and a lot of us like things as we knew them and sometimes find change to be overwhelming. However sport is a professional business now - and you only have to look at the sad number of grass roots sporting clubs of all codes that go broke or are always on the verge of it to understand that it probably isn't such a bad thing to have the blokes who copped the head knocks for 20 years not doing all of the bean counting.

Last edited:
Richmond's board is absolutely corporate heavy - outside of Gale there is only one other former player on there. Doubt anyone is questioning that board's results at presents. Don's only human and a lot of us like things as we knew them and sometimes find change to be overwhelming. However sport is a professional business now - and you only have to look at the sad number of grass roots sporting clubs of all codes that go broke or are always on the verge of it to understand that it probably isn't such a bad thing to have the blokes who copped the head knocks for 20 years not doing all of the bean counting.
Can also look at some clubs where past players are overly influential (or appear to be) & track their demise the same way.

I don't know details, but from the outside, I'd say Carlton had this issue, as did/do Adelaide. Then there's the former-star-as-Coach issues of C'wood & Essendon - I think most clubs have been there to some degree (I'm really confident that's not us with Sammy though).

Can also look at some clubs where past players are overly influential (or appear to be) & track their demise the same way.

I don't know details, but from the outside, I'd say Carlton had this issue, as did/do Adelaide. Then there's the former-star-as-Coach issues of C'wood & Essendon - I think most clubs have been there to some degree (I'm really confident that's not us with Sammy though).

Carlton was less about ex-players and more about the Carlton Mafia of influential supporters, though they did have more ex-players involved than most. Adelaide was definitely an issue of the ex-players boys club - no one should have hired Brett Burton after he butchered Brisbane's training and put them through torrid years of injuries, but Adelaide brought him back as a GM of footy operations. Daft.

Last edited:
looking at what went on, he wasn’t that keen on how the club was run when he played either. That’s just Don Scott.
Don loved the players he played with, and the staff he worked with. That was 40 years ago and they're not there anymore.

He doesn't see them at the club anymore, so he doesn't identify that love with Hawthorn anymore. It will be impossible to get that back for him.

Love Don for what he has done, forever grateful. But we're never going to see him happy with the Hawks again. I just hope he straightens up with the legend status function.

Didnt he and Leigh not speak to each other in the latter years of their playing days?
In a recent interview Dermie told a story about Don
Back when Derm was a newbie, Don was replaced by Lethal as skipper
One night, Derm went to the showers and found Dons mouth guard
Dermie went to Don and said “excuse me Mr Scott, you left your mouth guard in the showers”
Scott mumbled something to Derm, and went and retrieved his mouth guard
Bomber Hendrie went up to Derm and said “ well, that’s the most Don will talk to anyone”

Don loved the players he played with, and the staff he worked with. That was 40 years ago and they're not there anymore.

He doesn't see them at the club anymore, so he doesn't identify that love with Hawthorn anymore. It will be impossible to get that back for him.

Love Don for what he has done, forever grateful. But we're never going to see him happy with the Hawks again. I just hope he straightens up with the legend status function.

didnt Dermott just share that he talked to no one in his last year?

In a recent interview Dermie told a story about Don
Back when Derm was a newbie, Don was replaced by Lethal as skipper
One night, Derm went to the showers and found Dons mouth guard
Dermie went to Don and said “excuse me Mr Scott, you left your mouth guard in the showers”
Scott mumbled something to Derm, and went and retrieved his mouth guard
Bomber Hendrie went up to Derm and said “ well, that’s the most Don will talk to anyone”

I don't think he was sulking that he was replaced as skipper, he was upset that Parkin was sacked and the way that it happened and I think was upset that other players weren't quite as upset as he was.

Upset is the theme.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back