Rumour Ollie Wines - will he go or will he stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

True. It’s the co-captain decision. No coach that understands the fabric of the PAFC would ever have even entertained the idea of co-captains.
Agreed, but you you can't stop at Hinkley with that one, it was every last numbskull who either agreed with the decision or didn't loudly protest it.

I'm in the don't trade Ollie. His value is at a low ebb. He played last year with significant injuries (more than just the shoulder) with the multiple injuries he had his performance was always going to be effected. Still think if he can get back to full fitness and confidence he can be a valuable member of the team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agreed, but you you can't stop at Hinkley with that one, it was every last numbskull who either agreed with the decision or didn't loudly protest it.

I agree that many people contributed but Hinkley’s in charge. He should’ve walked the decision through to its logical conclusion, realised it could only end in tears and then cut it off at the knees. He also sold it to KT (who could at least see the folly of it but sadly didn’t pull rank) so ultimately he’s responsible in my eyes.

Hinkley has pampered and favoured Wines from day one. Making him co-captain when everyone else was going in a different direction was just the culmination of the love in. Wines was the first player signed during the Hinkley reign and IMO their tenures are closely linked - if one goes, the other won't be far behind.

Looking in from the outside and hence only minimal insight, i would put his current tenure as borderline in the wingard, polec precedent.

I agree that many people contributed but Hinkley’s in charge. He should’ve walked the decision through to its logical conclusion, realised it could only end in tears and then cut it off at the knees. He also sold it to KT (who could at least see the folly of it but sadly didn’t pull rank) so ultimately he’s responsible in my eyes.
I personally hold koch to more account on this as I see him as being in charge - If this had happened at collingwood would people have been pointing the finger at Buckley or Eddie?

Looking in from the outside and hence only minimal insight, i would put his current tenure as borderline in the wingard, polec precedent.
That should be your username.

Hinkley has pampered and favoured Wines from day one. Making him co-captain when everyone else was going in a different direction was just the culmination of the love in. Wines was the first player signed during the Hinkley reign and IMO their tenures are closely linked - if one goes, the other won't be far behind.

Hinkley is all Wines has known. A new coach with a fresh set of eyes/ideas would invigorate him. If he's looking elsewhere, this would be a large part of it.

Can fully see wines nabbing an all-Aus at a Vic team under another coach.

under other circumstances I would love to keep him at port.

but if he’s making noises about going let’s do it now while he has 2 years left on his contract rather than as a free agent when his contract is up.

the standard price for a player like wines has been 2x 1sts, or 2 1st with a second going back, or a high 1st and high 2nd rounder.

this gives us a chance to build around the new core of our team in rozee Houston butters Marshall etc by adding players in this draft.

we could easily turn wines into a 1st round pick + Jackson Hately.

adding those 2 prospects next to our kids can help us.

Easily turn w
Can fully see wines nabbing an all-Aus at a Vic team under another coach.

under other circumstances I would love to keep him at port.

but if he’s making noises about going let’s do it now while he has 2 years left on his contract rather than as a free agent when his contract is up.

the standard price for a player like wines has been 2x 1sts, or 2 1st with a second going back, or a high 1st and high 2nd rounder.

this gives us a chance to build around the new core of our team in rozee Houston butters Marshall etc by adding players in this draft.

we could easily turn wines into a 1st round pick + Jackson Hately.

adding those 2 prospects next to our kids can help us.
Easily turn wines into hately and a first? Not sure about that.

I personally hold koch to more account on this as I see him as being in charge - If this had happened at collingwood would people have been pointing the finger at Buckley or Eddie?
Hinkley pushing the line with zero evidence that co-captains give us the best chance of winning confirmed he's got no idea, but yeah the fact KT and then Koch didn't kill it was unforgivable. I've no doubt that f*cking Wines around in this manner was a big contributor in him shopping himself around last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily turn w

Easily turn wines into hately and a first? Not sure about that.
Hatley is out of Contract and played 7 games Wines has another 2 years to run after this year and is approaching 150.

Now maybe this changes this year but as present Hatley is unproven, Hatley and a first should only be considered if it’s a very early first.

Hinkley pushing the line with zero evidence that co-captains give us the best chance of winning confirmed he's got no idea, but yeah the fact KT and then Koch didn't kill it was unforgivable. I've no doubt that f*cking Wines around in this manner was a big contributor in him shopping himself around last year.
Agree 100%

The captaincy should be a football dept decision and this brainfart shouldn’t have even made it to the board.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson Hately alone turns out to be a better player than Wines. If we were getting offered Hately plus a first rounder, I'll pack Ollie's bags for him.

i watched both players play champs as kids, and watched them play since. At the same age hately is at now wines was already at an afl elite 25d 5t 5clrs.

young wines would have been still getting games at gws with what he produced at the same age at port.

wines >>>>>>>>>hately

hately isn’t even proven as an elite inside mid yet. He’s often mistaken as such because he’s labelled that thanks to being 190cms. The reality is that heplayed his entire pre-draft age year, champs, and afl football as a inside outside running mid who can win his own ball. He has not been a coal face mid like wines has day in day out at any point.

the good news is that he has shown an ability to win the inside ball, and has the size to do it. But at the moment all we can do is extrapolate rather than say via seeing as one (wines) has proven to be an elite extractor, and the other is a promising inside / outside running mid who has averaged less than the previous player across the board.

his (Hately) worth on the market would be what we would have gotten for spp when his first contract come up if he couldn’t get a game for us (instead of playing every single game for us as he did)

I want hately at port because I know that at his worst he is a best 22 contributor and I like his gut running and work ethic and think he’s a good fit with what we have. There is hope he can become a top player but I really don’t see him even becoming a top 10 player at port.

i watched both players play champs as kids, and watched them play since. At the same age hately is at now wines was already at an afl elite 25d 5t 5clrs.

young wines would have been still getting games at gws with what he produced at the same age at port.

wines >>>>>>>>>hately

hately isn’t even proven as an elite inside mid yet. He’s often mistaken as such because he’s labelled that thanks to being 190cms. The reality is that heplayed his entire pre-draft age year, champs, and afl football as a inside outside running mid who can win his own ball. He has not been a coal face mid like wines has day in day out at any point.

the good news is that he has shown an ability to win the inside ball, and has the size to do it. But at the moment all we can do is extrapolate rather than say via seeing as one (wines) has proven to be an elite extractor, and the other is a promising inside / outside running mid who has averaged less than the previous player across the board.

his (Hately) worth on the market would be what we would have gotten for spp when his first contract come up if he couldn’t get a game for us (instead of playing every single game for us as he did)

I want hately at port because I know that at his worst he is a best 22 contributor and I like his gut running and work ethic and think he’s a good fit with what we have. There is hope he can become a top player but I really don’t see him even becoming a top 10 player at port.

What about Wines at the same age vs Wines now?

What about Wines at the same age vs Wines now?

he’s a 26d 6t 6clrs guy who is one of the top inside mids in the league. He will be one of the best players at whichever club he goes to.

port fans are mostly now just harsh on him because he hasn’t taken the next step into reliable game winning leader, the co-captains debacle, the waterskiing injury after being named co-captain, and now this apparent trade push by his management.

if the situation was reversed and wines was from Adelaide and playing interstate the port board would be drooling over the chance to snatch him this off-season.

I’m still in the trade him this off-season camp but that’s not because I’ve forgotten how good he is, that’s because if we does want out then a fresh start and getting very good compensation while he’s contracted in the form of kids who will develop with rozee and co is the smart move in my eyes.

he’s a 26d 6t 6clrs guy who is one of the top inside mids in the league. He will be one of the best players at whichever club he goes to.

port fans are mostly now just harsh on him because he hasn’t taken the next step into reliable game winning leader, the co-captains debacle, the waterskiing injury after being named co-captain, and now this apparent trade push by his management.

if the situation was reversed and wines was from Adelaide and playing interstate the port board would be drooling over the chance to snatch him this off-season.

I’m still in the trade him this off-season camp but that’s not because I’ve forgotten how good he is, that’s because if we does want out then a fresh start and getting very good compensation while he’s contracted in the form of kids who will develop with rozee and co is the smart move in my eyes.
I don't think I've ever drooled over players with s**t skills but whatever

What if wines got us Daniher ... would people be happy with that?

a 26yr old key forward restricted free agent three years out of the game who has been the most injury prone player still in the league?

I would be furious. It would be the worst list management decision made in ports history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back