Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort by the pies this year in all respects.Well done.Simply put though they finished below the Eagles and therefore don’t deserve a home state/home ground grand final.Same applies to all premiers since 2014.What should happen but won’t.Eagles should firstly boycott the Grand final parade...Instead March from AFL house to MCC.Embarass the AFL and MCC.Then with public attention all non Victorian teams should demand that within each decade 3or 4 grand finals are held at non Victorian venues.Optus and Adelaide are capable already of hosting.Maybe SCG in future if they upgrade.Not perfect but we won’t always get the 2014-18 situation where premierships are devalued (If Pies win)..

The MCG is actually the most neutral ground for all teams and the fairest place to play the GF. Don’t know why people just can’t accept this fact and stop moaning.
WC had two home finals with a massive home crowd advantage.

It’s a VFL comp with guests invited.

We all know it so let’s just get on with it all live our footy loving lives.
Btw we had two home finals with massive hga because we won the majority of our interstate games this year

Dont win those games - we play finals interstate

Its an EARNED advantage

A lot of follow-on considerations. Are away points worth more?

No. They remain the same value. Why would they need to change?

What if the margins are identical?

They stay the same value. So it doesn't need to change. If the scores are the same next Saturday, they play extra time. The same would apply.

How does the AFL go about organising two grand finals when the sides are only decided a week prior?

Easy. The MCG Grand Final is always played on the last Saturday in September. The first Grand Final replaces the bye from week 1 of the finals series.

Who hosts the first one?

The highest ranked team. This would have been the West Coast Eagles and the first Grand Final would have been played Yesterday.

The only people who would not like this are supporters of the Victorian Football teams as they know they will then lose a massive advantage.

What are you even on about?
Collingwood already lost to higher ranked West Coast in this finals series.

I don’t agree with the finals system that Collingwood now gets another shot against West Coast.

Same thing happened in 2015 West Coast v Hawthorn, and has happened previous years before that too.

My apologies. Considering less than 1% of my posts have been on the main page, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make a thread like this.

I was trying to be inclusive. Guess not. Guess I will just stay in my place.

An identical thread was made yesterday and deleted and probably 10 others before that! You do realize the Grand Finals in Vic until 2056? There's absolutely no point talking about it

Great effort by the pies this year in all respects.Well done.Simply put though they finished below the Eagles and therefore don’t deserve a home state/home ground grand final.Same applies to all premiers since 2014.What should happen but won’t.Eagles should firstly boycott the Grand final parade...Instead March from AFL house to MCC.Embarass the AFL and MCC.Then with public attention all non Victorian teams should demand that within each decade 3or 4 grand finals are held at non Victorian venues.Optus and Adelaide are capable already of hosting.Maybe SCG in future if they upgrade.Not perfect but we won’t always get the 2014-18 situation where premierships are devalued (If Pies win)..

More then happy for West Coast to boycott handing us the Cup :thumbsu:

Not a fan, what if we dont meet Adelaide in a final fir another 40 years. Would the 2057 Tigers play in Adelaide? Its just weird.

I dont have a solution myself, but maybe one day when we have other stadiums that can accomodate atleast 80,000, the GF venue could be set at the start of each year and rotated.
I still dont see what the crowd size has to do with it... when the majority of the viewers (and theres 10’s of millions of them for the GF) watch the game on tv screens. 50,000, 60,000, 70,000, 200,000 at the ground makes not one iota of difference to whether these viewers are or arent going to tune in and watch...

And its from these millions of people tuning in that the bulk of the revenue the GF creates comes from...

For what its worth... the OP’s idea is a pretty good one IMO..

An identical thread was made yesterday and deleted and probably 10 others before that! You do realize the Grand Finals in Vic until 2056? There's absolutely no point talking about it

There is ever point as the MCG doesn't lose their Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fairer system would be to have two games to decide the grand final with one game always at the MCG.

Not as elegant as 1 game but fairer and you wouldn’t need to renegotiate that stupid contract. More fans would get to go as well.

I still dont see what the crowd size has to do with it... when the majority of the viewers (and theres 10’s of millions of them for the GF) watch the game on tv screens. 50,000, 60,000, 70,000, 200,000 at the ground makes not one iota of difference to whether these viewers are or arent going to tune in and watch...

And its from these millions of people tuning in that the bulk of the revenue the GF creates comes from...

For what its worth... the OP’s idea is a pretty good one IMO..
Billions of world cup fans

Somehow - some way - they manage to not require a 100000 seat stadium - thats full of corporates, victorian afl members and basically spotless stadiums capacity of actual teams competings fans anyway.

Its almost like the 100000 number is some kind of figure they pluck out of their arse.

If one of the other states built a 150000 seat stadium they would completely change tack and it would be back to “tradition” and crowd numbers would all of a sudden be unimportant

If it were up to myself the minor premiers would be considered the premiership team. The team who wins the most games that year. Fighting for top spot would liven things up rather than just settling for a top four or top 8 finish. The finals series should be the minor cup - created for television watching.

Football fans know what I'm talking about. Wigans FA Cup win in 2013, Man Utd in 2016, Arsenal 2017 etc. All clearly nowhere near the best team all year but made the final and won just like recent AFL grand finals. s

A fairer system would be to have two games to decide the grand final with one game always at the MCG.

Not as elegant as 1 game but fairer and you wouldn’t need to renegotiate that stupid contract. More fans would get to go as well.
Regardless of where, the GF should be one game. Dont destroy the single event spectacle we've had for 100 years. It should never be a two-leg system no matter where its played.

A yearly rotation is a far better option than two games.

I think only 1 grand final to keep it as 1 special day.

I would be happy with the higher ranked team getting a home city final but only if the stadium holds 80,000 plus - so Optus Stadium would have to be increased from 60,000 to 80,000 to hold it if it was this week for example.

I can already hear the whining from a very strong Victorian contingent of people

They are not, however, the people beginning these interminable threads.

Collingwood already lost to higher ranked West Coast in this finals series.

I don’t agree with the finals system that Collingwood now gets another shot against West Coast.

Same thing happened in 2015 West Coast v Hawthorn, and has happened previous years before that too.
So basically you don't agree with the whole current final 8 system, including top 4 second chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back