OPINION: Team of the Century involving junior footy players who became pro athletes in other sports

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pretty simple. Put together a team that involves pro athletes from other sports who played Australian rules football at the junior level and but never played professionally in the AFL. Here's my attempt:

FB: Matthew Dellavedova (NBA), Joe Ingles (NBA), Greg Norman (Golf)
HB: Shane Warne (BBL), Billy Stanlake (BBL), Kyle Chalmers (Swimming)
C: Patrick Mills (NBA), Kalyn Ponga (NRL), Lleyton Hewitt (ATP)
HF: Josh Green (NCAA), Ben Simmons (NBA), Mark Bresciano (Serie A)
FF: Mark Viduka (EPL), Tom Trbojevic (NRL), Archie Thompson (Eredivisie)
Ruc: Andrew Bogut (NBA), Darren Lockyer (NRL), Ricky Ponting (BBL)
Int: Andrew Gaze (NBL), Dante Exum (NBA), Daniel Geale (Boxing), Pat Cash (ATP)

Heavily reliant on basketball players and that's not surprising given the way the two sports translate and compliment each other. I wanted to put a few sharpshooter soccer players in my forward line so I'm happy to have Bresc, Dukes and Archie playing as small forwards in my lineup. Simmons, Green and Trbojevic will play in a three tall forward line and their athleticism/height would make them a nightmare to match up on. I've got Bogut in the ruck for obvious reasons and my onballers are Lockyer, Ponting and Ponga who were all supposed to be extremely talented junior footballers. Patrick Mills and a prime Lleyton Hewitt provide lightning quick speed on the outside and were both very capable footballers in their teenage years.

I struggled a little with the backline but I figured Ingles, Stanlake and Chalmers were good selections to provide coverage for tall forwards on an opposing team. Ingles and Dellavedova in particular are known for their stingey style in the NBA and I feel would be good defenders for that reason. I've thrown Shane Warne on the halfback line because I believe he was a defender when he played for St Kilda's reserves team and I've really just thrown Greg Norman in there for his name but he was supposedly a talented footballer in his younger days. I've thrown Gaze and Exum on the bench for their height, athleticism and/or scoring ability and Daniel Geale should provide some speed off the bench. Pat Cash gets my last spot on the bench and would probably be serviceable in the rotation.

Anyone else want to have a crack?

Pretty simple. Put together a team that involves pro athletes from other sports who played Australian rules football at the junior level and but never played professionally in the AFL. Here's my attempt:

FB: Matthew Dellavedova (NBA), Joe Ingles (NBA), Greg Norman (Golf)
HB: Shane Warne (BBL), Billy Stanlake (BBL), Kyle Chalmers (Swimming)
C: Patrick Mills (NBA), Kalyn Ponga (NRL), Lleyton Hewitt (ATP)
HF: Josh Green (NCAA), Ben Simmons (NBA), Mark Bresciano (Serie A)
FF: Mark Viduka (EPL), Tom Trbojevic (NRL), Archie Thompson (Eredivisie)
Ruc: Andrew Bogut (NBA), Darren Lockyer (NRL), Ricky Ponting (BBL)
Int: Andrew Gaze (NBL), Dante Exum (NBA), Daniel Geale (Boxing), Pat Cash (ATP)

Heavily reliant on basketball players and that's not surprising given the way the two sports translate and compliment each other. I wanted to put a few sharpshooter soccer players in my forward line so I'm happy to have Bresc, Dukes and Archie playing as small forwards in my lineup. Simmons, Green and Trbojevic will play in a three tall forward line and their athleticism/height would make them a nightmare to match up on. I've got Bogut in the ruck for obvious reasons and my onballers are Lockyer, Ponting and Ponga who were all supposed to be extremely talented junior footballers. Patrick Mills and a prime Lleyton Hewitt provide lightning quick speed on the outside and were both very capable footballers in their teenage years.

I struggled a little with the backline but I figured Ingles, Stanlake and Chalmers were good selections to provide coverage for tall forwards on an opposing team. Ingles and Dellavedova in particular are known for their stingey style in the NBA and I feel would be good defenders for that reason. I've thrown Shane Warne on the halfback line because I believe he was a defender when he played for St Kilda's reserves team and I've really just thrown Greg Norman in there for his name but he was supposedly a talented footballer in his younger days. I've thrown Gaze and Exum on the bench for their height, athleticism and/or scoring ability and Daniel Geale should provide some speed off the bench. Pat Cash gets my last spot on the bench and would probably be serviceable in the rotation.

Anyone else want to have a crack?

What evidence do you have that Viduka and Bresciano played Aussie rules

What evidence do you have that Viduka and Bresciano played Aussie rules
48259e0ebb985b94fadb6dad789e67c7

Viduka is reportedly a Collingwood fan and grew up in Melbourne. I have to assume that at some point during his childhood he tried his hand at Aussie rules, even if he didn't take it seriously. Point is, he was a sharpshooter in front of goal and I think that would translate well if he played in the forward pocket. I have less evidence of Bresciano playing Aussie rules throughout his upbringing but he also grew up in Melbourne and it's almost impossible to grow up in Melbourne and not at least try Aussie rules at some point, even if it's not in a competitive league environment. Bresc was a creative player who could finish and always looked like he had a ton of time with the ball at his feet. So I fancy his chances to do some damage on the half forward flank. For anyone who is interested, here's a video of Archie Thompson talking about his interest in Aussie rules (he's a Dees fan). I'd play Archie as a zippy small forward and hope he'd be able to replicate someone like Charlie Cameron but his speed may allow him to push up to the wing as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victor Richardson. From when you could captain Australia in cricket, AND captain Sturt to a premiership.
Tons of old international cricketers played VFL/SANFL/etc. though. That isn't all that rare back then. The fact is that most professional sportsmen have talent in any sport they try....just that these days they can only pick one.

Max Walker/Simon oDonnell/Alex Keath don't get a run?
I think the OP was looking for players who didn't play AFL/VFL.

Think Big Maxy would be a bit easy to run off these days :p

48259e0ebb985b94fadb6dad789e67c7

Viduka is reportedly a Collingwood fan and grew up in Melbourne. I have to assume that at some point during his childhood he tried his hand at Aussie rules, even if he didn't take it seriously. Point is, he was a sharpshooter in front of goal and I think that would translate well if he played in the forward pocket. I have less evidence of Bresciano playing Aussie rules throughout his upbringing but he also grew up in Melbourne and it's almost impossible to grow up in Melbourne and not at least try Aussie rules at some point, even if it's not in a competitive league environment. Bresc was a creative player who could finish and always looked like he had a ton of time with the ball at his feet. So I fancy his chances to do some damage on the half forward flank. For anyone who is interested, here's a video of Archie Thompson talking about his interest in Aussie rules (he's a Dees fan). I'd play Archie as a zippy small forward and hope he'd be able to replicate someone like Charlie Cameron but his speed may allow him to push up to the wing as well.

That Viduka jumper swap could just be like Conan O'Brien wearing a swans jumper or the big Deli Lama

Remove this Banner Ad

Back