Traded Orazio Fantasia [traded with #73 to Port for #29 and 2021 R3]

Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically if we trade with Adelaide I believe Fanta and our third(Pick41) for Adelaides 2nd is about right(pick 31)Has talent but we can’t get the best out of him,We need to make strong decisions based on the future,Your thoughts?

look I am not knocking you for your opinion. My opinion is that until Fantasia or Essendon made an announcement, we should not be speculating on other teams contracted players - especially when Dodoro is sitting at the other end of the table. The Gibbs saga should have made us learn that the burnt hand teaches best

Opinions are fine, but they also get to stand up in front of everyone for critique. In this instance your opinion is garbage. There's no speculation that he wants to come back to SA, it's not a BigFooty rumour on the NO DISCUSSION thread. Feeling aggrieved for something that's actually happened is fine, but you're searching for outrage where there is none.

An article came out weeks ago from the AFL website indicating Fantasia was doing a medical as he wants to come back to SA, What Kelly said yesterday gave absolutely no inclination that Fantasia had spoken to us, only that he understood Fantasia wanted to come back to SA, which was reported in an article weeks ago. I thought I'd just loop that one back for you in case it didn't make sense.

Essendon also came out a few days ago and said that they wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade as I'm sure they're aware he's done a medical too, and he's had one foot out the door since last year.

Opinions are fine, but they also get to stand up in front of everyone for critique. In this instance your opinion is garbage. There's no speculation that he wants to come back to SA, it's not a BigFooty rumour on the NO DISCUSSION thread. Feeling aggrieved for something that's actually happened is fine, but you're searching for outrage where there is none.

An article came out weeks ago from the AFL website indicating Fantasia was doing a medical as he wants to come back to SA, What Kelly said yesterday gave absolutely no inclination that Fantasia had spoken to us, only that he understood Fantasia wanted to come back to SA, which was reported in an article weeks ago. I thought I'd just loop that one back for you in case it didn't make sense.

Essendon also came out a few days ago and said that they wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade as I'm sure they're aware he's done a medical too, and he's had one foot out the door since last year.
so you hedged around what I said..has fantasia himself formally asked to leave Essendon? and has Essendon publicly stated fantasia has asked for a trade? He is a contracted Essendon player as things stand right now

Adelaide have confirmed their interest in Essendon forward Orazio Fantasia, with the club awaiting an official trade request from the Bomber.

How hard is it to wait until he formally asks for a trade or Essendon say he is available for trade. I just don't subscribe to a rival club coming out and making statements before the club the player actually is contracted to makes a statement about it first..ok?

so you hedged around what I said..has fantasia himself formally asked to leave Essendon? and has Essendon publicly stated fantasia has asked for a trade? He is a contracted Essendon player as things stand right now

Adelaide have confirmed their interest in Essendon forward Orazio Fantasia, with the club awaiting an official trade request from the Bomber.

How hard is it to wait until he formally asks for a trade or Essendon say he is available for trade. I just don't subscribe to a rival club coming out and making statements before the club the player actually is contracted to makes a statement about it first..ok?
Essendon have commented that they expect Fantasia will be exploring his options and that he's homesick – our GM football mentioned it in an interview that I now can't find for love nor money.

While in principle it should be the existing club or the player/player manager to announce this sort of thing, I don't think we're overly phased by it. It's been the worst kept secret of the last three years.

It's not like that time that – was it James Aish? taking pics in his new club shirt and touring facilities before the season was over at GWS? That was a faux pas if ever there was one.

So to the Essendon peeps, what's the talk about Fanta as a guy.
I have heard he is a mummies boy, a bit soft and sensitive and his head isn't in Essendon and so refused to play when it was thought he could of?
Club wants him gone as much as him wanting out. Not thought of highly by the playing group?
Just rumours, but may be some truth to it.

Far out mate, there's absolutely no way anyone is going to convince you that you're digging for an issue here where there isn't one.

Confirming interest in a player happens all the time, it doesn't mean an approach has been made to that player. The quote you've provided, along with the article, is extremely misleading. 'Adelaide have confirmed their interest in Essendon forward Orazio Fantasia, with the club awaiting an official trade request from the Bomber'

Adelaide’s head of football Adam Kelly revealed the club were keen on acquiring the Bombers forward.

This is incorrect, what Kelly actually said was...

“We understand he wants to come back to South Australia,” Kelly said on SEN SA Breakfast. = Does not specify Crows.

“Any player who has gone interstate who wants to return home we’re keen to talk to and I understand what their motivations are. = No s**t, this is a pretty blanket statement for any SA Club.

Your argument is also let down by the fact that absolutely no one from Essendon, the Essendon board, or fans in general, have indicated that there's been a slight on Essendon by Kelly discussing things the other day. He got asked the question at a media conference, and I think he answered the questions in a way that was respectful to Essendon. I don't think he would have commented if there hadn't been something mentioned by Essendon already, or if the situation was vague.

I have heard he is a mummies boy, a bit soft and sensitive and his head isn't in Essendon and so refused to play when it was thought he could of?
Club wants him gone as much as him wanting out. Not thought of highly by the playing group?
He is from SA, gets on well with Port's forwards coach, Nathan Bassett (Bassett was the senior coach of Raz's SANFL team in U18s where they won a premiership). His girlfriend is also from SA, and they want to get back there eventually.

He is obviously also Italian and comes from a big Italian family. You can hear him talk about this on the Don Air podcast with David Zaharakis. I don't think being in lockdown and hubs has helped much in that respect, although apparently he spent a lot of the lockdown period cooking up a storm.

The contract he is on at Essendon atm was front-loaded so the back years are a bit lean. He's explored his options for the last couple of years in the hopes of getting a good return both for himself and for Essendon. He nearly joined Port last year and then changed his mind at the last minute.

For my part he's been my favourite player, but I think his best is behind him. He's had an absolutely rotten run with injuries, including quads, hamstrings, calves, and a hip issue that he played through last year and then had a bit of cartilage removed at the end of the season.

We can't keep all of our injury prone players if we want to achieve anything at all, so at the end of the day I'm happy for him to go to a good home for relative peanuts, and can't begrudge him for it. It's better all around. I hope he gets back to what he was and clocks up 100 games before he's done. Maybe even 150. He's not worth what he was, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

As for being soft or the playing group not thinking highly of him – he was voted into the leadership group and turned it down because he felt the best way to be a leader and do the best for the team was to focus on getting his body right. One of the more popular players in the group as far as I'm aware. And he's always been good to us BigFooty people, he's one of our sponsored players and always makes time for us.

trade us for him and find out yourself.

Reports are from Essendon that he is pretty popular in the playing group, but that doesn't matter for s**t when he cant get on the park. But ill also put it to you this way, His contract at Essendon was VERY Front loaded, he decided to stay with us last year even though he wanted to go home, yet now the contract has started to lean out he now wants to go - take that how you will.

we should take a late second rounder and run if we can get it.

Essendon have commented that they expect Fantasia will be exploring his options and that he's homesick – our GM football mentioned it in an interview that I now can't find for love nor money.

While in principle it should be the existing club or the player/player manager to announce this sort of thing, I don't think we're overly phased by it. It's been the worst kept secret of the last three years.

It's not like that time that – was it James Aish? taking pics in his new club shirt and touring facilities before the season was over at GWS? That was a faux pas if ever there was one.
Fair enough if Essendon had made comment - I had only seen the commentary from recently where Kelly was stating he (fantasia) would like to return to SA. I don't doubt that behind the scenes discussions may have taken place with his management etc..it is just that in Public I think it poor form after Gibbs to make comments about other clubs contracted players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a chance that may not happen. If dodo's believes he is worth more than he is offered what is stopping him doing what they did with Daniher and holding OF to his contract?
nothing i guess. And if we think FA is going to be better than this years return, perhaps he should.
apparently there's a good amount of depth in next years draft...and ideally the u18 season isn't compromised.

worst case - he doesn't move this year and we get FA comp largely the same or better next year
best case - Crows stump up something good this year

There is a chance that may not happen. If dodo's believes he is worth more than he is offered what is stopping him doing what they did with Daniher and holding OF to his contract?
It's possible, but they did that last year and if he is a FA next year, then the value won't be great. Maybe they wait for a compo pick.

nothing i guess. And if we think FA is going to be better than this years return, perhaps he should.
apparently there's a good amount of depth in next years draft...and ideally the u18 season isn't compromised.

worst case - he doesn't move this year and we get FA comp largely the same or better next year
best case - Crows stump up something good this year
I doubt that bombers will keep him another season. Given his injury history it'll be a pretty base contract at best he'll be signing, so that'll be a 3rd round pick compo. Plus there's the risk that he'll have another badly affected season and may not even get a contract offer which would net them nothing.

I expect crows will hand over pick 44 or 50 for him and bombers will have him off the books and an extra year to develop a player then if they keep him for another year knowing he'll just leave anyway.

Could see this trade being particularly hard to get done. Have a feeling Adelaide/Port and Essendon may have very different opinions on what Fantasia is worth. Will be interesting to see if Essendon continue to play hard ball or let Fantasia get his wish to move to SA for relatively cheap.

I doubt that bombers will keep him another season. Given his injury history it'll be a pretty base contract at best he'll be signing, so that'll be a 3rd round pick compo. Plus there's the risk that he'll have another badly affected season and may not even get a contract offer which would net them nothing.

I expect crows will hand over pick 44 or 50 for him and bombers will have him off the books and an extra year to develop a player then if they keep him for another year knowing he'll just leave anyway.
id be happy with 44 and combine it with picks to trade up. keen on the dogs' 1st. so more points we land to hand to them, the better.

will be an interesting race for the WB first. lots of offers will be put forward to them!! all will offer overs for it
Without wanting to drag this one too far off track, what sort of deal are you thinking gets the pick. I know a lot of chatter on our board about offering picks 20 & 29 for it. This might also come with a wink that we don't bid on JUH which also saves the dogs a heap more draft points..but that is pure speculation
So I am thinking that with a 2nd rounder we should be giving up for Hately, that the next pick the crows will be able to offer for fantasia will be pick 40 (or wherever that lands) or itr would have to be a player swap ie seedsman or gallucci type etc

Without wanting to drag this one too far off track, what sort of deal are you thinking gets the pick. I know a lot of chatter on our board about offering picks 20 & 29 for it. This might also come with a wink that we don't bid on JUH which also saves the dogs a heap more draft points..but that is pure speculation
So I am thinking that with a 2nd rounder we should be giving up for Hately, that the next pick the crows will be able to offer for fantasia will be pick 40 (or wherever that lands) or itr would have to be a player swap ie seedsman or gallucci type etc

i could really see teams going hard for it geelong might want to move up, and brissy with 18 / 19 might want to move depending on draft night. i could also see carlton splitting 7 and then trying to move up again.
will be a number of interested parties for sure.

bombers will be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him. If you get a 3rd rounder take it and run. Dodo might even demand a second rounder who knows

Back