Prediction Our best 22 for Round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I am in awe of posters who think McEvoy is going to play ruck, I feel like the writing has been on the wall for a few months and ahs been underlined a few more times in the last fortnight
I’m in awe of posters that think we won’t dump a stupid idea the minute it proves to be stupid.

*In fairness, especially in 2017 & 2019, it has taken us until the bye to dump stupid-as-s**t ideas that clearly weren’t working.

I’m in awe of posters that think we won’t dump a stupid idea the minute it proves to be stupid.

*In fairness, especially in 2017 & 2019, it has taken us until the bye to dump stupid-as-s**t ideas that clearly weren’t working.
I think you'd struggle to find an idea that we've tried in the last decade which was actually stupid or not worth a try. Bearing in mind that several positional experiments (Poppy, Hardwick, Sicily, Burgoyne) are still currently paying big dividends.

For what it's worth I think we will line up like this rd 1:

Stratton, Frawley, Frost
Scrimshaw, McEvoy, Sicily
Smith, O'Meara, Scully
Gunston, M.Lewis, O'Brien
Breust, Patton, Puopolo
Ceglar, Mitchell, Worpel
Int: Burgoyne, Wingard, Henderson, Shiels

Morrison, Jiath, Nash, Hanrahan and Minchington miss out, but Gunston and Scrimshaw are yet to prove their fitness which means any of these blokes could potentially play.

From rd 23 last year:
IN: Patton, Frost, M.Lewis
OUT: Hardwick, Howe, Nash

Stratton Frawley Frost
CJ Mcevoy Sicily
Smith O'Meara Henderson
O'Brien Lewis Puopolo
Breust Patton Minchington
Ceglar Worpel Wingard
int: Mitchell, Burgoyne, Shiels, Scully

giving Minchington the pressure forward spot, however if he doesn't show anything in the next pre-season game he could easily lose that spot.

Mitchell stiff to get a bench spot but he's looked a bit rusty so far, therefore hard to have him starting over Worps/Chad/Jaegs

Given CJ the spot in the backline, it's just too hard to deny him after what he's done so far this pre-season. Playing with sicily he'll need to be more defensive-minded and less rebound/intercept focused though.

Stratton Frawley Frost
CJ Mcevoy Sicily
Smith O'Meara Henderson
O'Brien Lewis Puopolo
Breust Patton Minchington
Ceglar Worpel Wingard
int: Mitchell, Burgoyne, Shiels, Scully

giving Minchington the pressure forward spot, however if he doesn't show anything in the next pre-season game he could easily lose that spot.

Mitchell stiff to get a bench spot but he's looked a bit rusty so far, therefore hard to have him starting over Worps/Chad/Jaegs

Given CJ the spot in the backline, it's just too hard to deny him after what he's done so far this pre-season. Playing with sicily he'll need to be more defensive-minded and less rebound/intercept focused though.
Reckon Scrim plays mate.

B:Stratts Frawley Frost
Hb:Morrison Sicily Hendo
C:Smith Mitchell Scully
HF:Jom Lewis Breust
F: Poppy Patton Burgoyne
R:Ceglar Worpel Wingard

Bench: Mcevoy,Shiels,Cousins,Tob
Emerg: to hard to pick (Finn,Minch,Hanrahan,Cj,Jones,Greaves)

Injured best 22 Scrimshaw,Gunston,Howe,Impey,Hardwick.

Last edited:
I may have missed the improvement in Morrison's game but even with the injuries we have, and to positions he's able to play at that, I don't see him making the grade. Too one paced, vanilla etc.

We need to see if CJ can make the grade if looking at run and carry or Greaves if just replacing Dimma. Greaves kicking penetration alone are a massive + for mine.

B:Stratts Frawley Frost
Hb:Morrison Sicily Hendo
C:Smith Mitchell Scully
HF:Jom Lewis Breust
F: Poppy Patton Burgoyne
R:Ceglar Worpel Wingard

Bench: Mcevoy,Shiels,Cousins,Tob
Emerg: to hard to pick (Finn,Minch,Hanrahan,Cj,Jones,Greaves)

Injured best 22 Scrimshaw,Gunston,Howe,Impey,Hardwick.

I think Scrimshaw will end up playing Round 1.

For what it's worth I think we will line up like this rd 1:

Stratton, Frawley, Frost
Scrimshaw, McEvoy, Sicily
Smith, O'Meara, Scully
Gunston, M.Lewis, O'Brien
Breust, Patton, Puopolo
Ceglar, Mitchell, Worpel
Int: Burgoyne, Wingard, Henderson, Shiels

Morrison, Jiath, Nash, Hanrahan and Minchington miss out, but Gunston and Scrimshaw are yet to prove their fitness which means any of these blokes could potentially play.

From rd 23 last year:
IN: Patton, Frost, M.Lewis
OUT: Hardwick, Howe, Nash
Tom Mitchell didn’t play round 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Hardwick, Impey and Gunston out I believe we will line up as:

Stratton - Frawley - Frost
Sicily - Big Boy - Scrimshaw

Ceglar - Worpel - O'Meara
Smith - Wingard - Scully

TOB - Lewis - Burgoyne
Breust - Patton - Puopolo

Bench: Mitchell, Henderson, Shiels and maybe Minch - who will go forward so Burgoyne can go back on to one of Brisbane's smalls like Cameron or Rayner.

Edit: seemingly have Minch the kiss of death. Last spot is up for Ollie or CJ.

Last edited:
Not sure why Puopolo is in best 22. Rather see Ollie Hanrahan or Harry Morrison.
Harry can't play the same role and Ollie needs to work on his defensive side if he is going to be replacing Poppy. We are so tall up forward we cant afford to carry a small forward who won't run, chase and pressure for 4 quarters.

Smith - Wingard - Scully

TOB - Lewis - Burgoyne

Bench: Mitchell, Henderson, Shiels and maybe Minch - who will go forward so Burgoyne can go back on to one of Brisbane's smalls like Cameron or Rayner.

Isn’t he one person?

Okay, it's probably premature since we haven't seen the lineups for our next Marsh series game, but here goes nothing.

B. Greaves Frawley Stratton
HB. Frost BigBoy Sicily
C. Smith Mitchell Scully
HF. Breust Lewis Wingard
F. Puopolo Patton Burgoyne
R. Ceglar Worpel JOM
IC: Shiels Henderson TOB CJ

Greaves has looked great and I feel is a nice little replacement for Hardwick in regards to size and skill level.
Wingard rotating off the flank through the middle.
Shiels to cover mids.
Hendo to cover wings.
TOB to cover ruck/forward
CJ to cover backs.

Team feels balanced with a mix of youth and experience.

Scrimshaw and Gunston omitted currently due to injury clouds.

Morrison very stiff. Could make a case for playing him above CJ but I feel as though we need the X-factor and make a statement about this new game-plan being the real deal.

Smith - Wingard - Scully

TOB - Lewis - Burgoyne

Edit: seemingly have Minch the kiss of death. Last spot is up for Ollie or CJ.
Reckon you have got it down to 1 assuming everyone gets thru Friday.

I reckon Ollie gets the gig. And hope so we don't have anyone else like him coming thru.

Am still not 100% Mitchell plays which would bring in CJ and a reshuffle.

Frost and Stratts on the Bris smalls.

What concerns me is the lack of depth on the list. Howe, O’Brien, Hartley and Morrison are the only experienced players outside the best 22.

Overlooking Minchington doesn’t make sense given he’s experienced and would’ve filled a need.

What concerns me is the lack of depth on the list. Howe, O’Brien, Hartley and Morrison are the only experienced players outside the best 22.

Overlooking Minchington doesn’t make sense given he’s experienced and would’ve filled a need.
Two things:
1. Experience is hardly what you look for in your depth and emergency players. We just need people who can come in to play a role with a level of proficiency. Glass, Nash, Hartley, Morrison, Cousins, CJ and Minchington are all in that basket. Walker, Jones, Greaves have proven themselves ready at VFL level while Kosi, Maginness, Day could be surprise packets this year.
2. O'Brien is not outside our best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back