Remove this Banner Ad

Stratton Frawley/McEvoy hardwick
Scrimshaw frost Sicily
Scully Mitchell smith
Breust Lewis Wingard
Poppy/minch Patton Oā€™Brien
Ceglar omeara Worpel
int: Burgoyne Sheils Henderson Morrison/Jones/CJ

I think we can only play one of Frawley and McEvoy.
Poppy v minch
One of Morrison, Jones and Cj for the last spot on the bench.
Oā€™Brien to take the ruck relief assuming he is fit.

I think once Gunston is fit he will most likely play wing and half back flank putting the Morrison/jones/Cj spot in doubt. Injuries and form of marginal players will always open up spots.

Edit: hanrahan could also fill the last spot.

Last edited:
Hanrahan has a long way to go before being best 22. As of right now Hanrahan, Nash, Howe and Oā€™Brien arenā€™t in the best 22.

Effectively replace them with Mitchell, Patton, Frost and Lewis.

Hanrahan has a long way to go before being best 22. As of right now Hanrahan, Nash, Howe and Oā€™Brien arenā€™t in the best 22.

Effectively replace them with Mitchell, Patton, Frost and Lewis.
Good problem to have if it is difficult to fit in TOB in that forward line.

Dimma Frawley Stratts
Sicily McEvoy Frost
Scully Mitchell Smith
Gunner Lewis Breust
Burgoyne Patton TOB
Ceglar JOM Worp
Hendo, Scrim, Shiels, Wingard.

That is pretty much my best 22 but I donā€™t think Gunston plays R1. Theyā€™ll make sure heā€™s 100% before bringing him in especially after his injury riddle season last year. I think Poppy will play R1 and things will shuffle from there but other than that I reckon you nailed it šŸ‘šŸ¾

I donā€™t think that is his game although he can tackle. He is an avenue to goal. Iā€™d fear for his longevity if he was our pressure forward.
Well it's either TOB or Poppy. I reckon TOB would be stiff to be dropped at this point.

Perhaps it's a shift in philosophy. Try to take more marks I50 and you don't need to lay as many tackles.

As Bugs said above, it's unlikely Gunner will play, so both will get a game anyway.

Time will tell.

That is basically a zero pressure forward line. Would be a massive departure from clarkoā€™s previous structure.

Well it's either TOB or Poppy. I reckon TOB would be stiff to be dropped at this point.

Perhaps it's a shift in philosophy. Try to take more marks I50 and you don't need to lay as many tackles.

As Bugs said above, it's unlikely Gunner will play, so both will get a game anyway.

Time will tell.
It all gets difficult when we bring in a big FF (Patton) & try to play Frawley + Frost with 2x Ruckmen.

Popeye is a given - has to play (Should get the gig before Minch, but one of them must play).

I agree re: trying to take more marks inside F50m. Even if only by a few seconds, the contest (marked or not) gives us a few seconds extra to get players around the ball. In contrast to last year, when we often kicked directly to floating/free oppo defenders - it made it real hard for our small to apply any meaningful pressure or our crumbing types to get dangerous.

Last edited:
It all gets difficult when we bring in a big FF (Patton) & try to play Frawley + Frost with 2x Ruckmen.

Popeye is a given - has to play (Should get the gig before Minch, but one of them must play).

I agree re: trying to take more marks inside F50m. Even if only by a few seconds, the contest (marked or not) gives us a few seconds extra to get players around the ball. In contrast to last year, when we often kicked directly to floating/free oppo defenders - it made it real hard for our small to apply any meaningful pressure or our crumbing types to get dangerous.
I would not play all three of McEvoy Frawley and frost. Much rather have extra running and pressure across the field than cram more marking power into the backline. McEvoy, Stratton, frost, Frawley, Sicily, hardwick is a lot of marking power and low running power. Just canā€™t see it functioning like that. Teams would just kick it to space or tumble punt it into fifty and we would struggle to clear it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would not play all three of McEvoy Frawley and frost. Much rather have extra running and pressure across the field than cram more marking power into the backline. McEvoy, Stratton, frost, Frawley, Sicily, hardwick is a lot of marking power and low running power. Just canā€™t see it functioning like that. Teams would just kick it to space or tumble punt it into fifty and we would struggle to clear it.
100% agree - it's almost as though one of those players doesn't belong there, but we're trying to force it anyway.

Prefer that, than oppo teams lacing out their fwds on a lead.

I think its about how to manage the best group of players for the first part of the season give our tough start. I reckon our first game
will be our 'fittest 22' not just best 22 for that reason.

We have a six day break from back from Perth to play Collingwood in rounds 2/3, then two consecutive 6 day breaks after Geelong.

We have the most 6 day breaks in the comp before the bye, including some games on the hard surface at Marvel, and back from Perth.

So I think we will be looking for picking a fit team for each game, and target certain players to come back for certain rounds. No doubt the club
will be thinking of planning around our start and easing players back in based on this. I doubt we'll rush Gunston back for that reason, but could see us maybe targeting a round 3 return. CJ, Scrimshaw, Morrison, and later on Howe gives us some small defender depth to rotate around as well.

I reckon the group of Puopolo, Hanrahan, Minchington, CJ, Morrison, Howe, Scrimshaw is the hardest to choose from, but reckon we'll start conservative and go Puopolo and Morrison.

If CJ performs well in our game against Melbourne on Friday then I'd be surprised if he doesn't get the nod for round 1.

Greaves probably not far off it either.

Agreed. Clarko likes to reward preseason performers. Look at Scrim last year, debuting (Club debut) in round 1.

Surely Frost is being considered for the Nash style role but in the backline. Tall, strong and fast and can play on smaller players.
If fit, McEvoy is playing and from all reports, track watchers, coaches etc, it's in the backline. We wouldn't dump our best ruckman to the backline without a plan would we?
I don't see chip losing his place either so Frost would be most nervous but throughout the two practice matches, he seems integral to the play.
It's good to have real pressure for places in the side.

I reckon weā€™ll see more of a squad type mentality at selection this year as we finally have the competition for spots to freshen up some players during the year while remaining competitve - thus being

I canā€™t imagine Mitchell, Patton, silk will play every game, Gunston seems banged up, some senior players such as Puopolo (or JOM) may not play a full season and some younger players (eg scrim) unlikely have conditioning to play out season.

We have decent depth across most lines - all of CJ, greaves, Morrison, Hartley, jones, Finn, day, cousins, Howe, Nash, Ollie, Ross, Walker could conceivably be seen in 2020. But competitve for spots will be fierce.

I reckon weā€™ll see more of a squad type mentality at selection this year as we finally have the competition for spots to freshen up some players during the year while remaining competitve - thus being

I canā€™t imagine Mitchell, Patton, silk will play every game, Gunston seems banged up, some senior players such as Puopolo (or JOM) may not play a full season and some younger players (eg scrim) unlikely have conditioning to play out season.

We have decent depth across most lines - all of CJ, greaves, Morrison, Hartley, jones, Finn, day, cousins, Howe, Nash, Ollie, Ross, Walker could conceivably be seen in 2020. But competitve for spots will be fierce.

I also wouldnā€™t be surprised if we rotate Ceglar and BB. The only problem with this is it would be hard for either to get any continuity but like all suggestions here I guess weā€™ll just have to wait and see.

4 Tall Backs. Frawley Frost Hartley and even McEvoy
6 Backs. Sicily Stratton hardwick scrimshaw Jiath and even Burgoyne
5 Mids outside. Smith Scully Henderson Morrison Finn
6 Mids inside. Mitchell Omeara Sheils Worpel Cousins Howe
4 Tall Fwd. Patton Obrien Mitchell Gunston
6 Fwd. Nash Bruest Wingard Puopolo Hanrahan Minch
1 Ruck Ceglar

32 players 10 unlucky (3b 4m 3f) before you mention Impey etc. Its like 12-14 players competing for 3 spots

4 Tall Backs. Frawley Frost Hartley and even McEvoy
6 Backs. Sicily Stratton hardwick scrimshaw Jiath and even Burgoyne
5 Mids outside. Smith Scully Henderson Morrison Finn
6 Mids inside. Mitchell Omeara Sheils Worpel Cousins Howe
4 Tall Fwd. Patton Obrien Mitchell Gunston
6 Fwd. Nash Bruest Wingard Puopolo Hanrahan Minch
1 Ruck Ceglar

32 players 10 unlucky (3b 4m 3f) before you mention Impey etc. Its like 12-14 players competing for 3 spots
Id like to see Finn & JOM swap groups, but thatā€™s just my opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back