Toast PAFC & the ANZAC Spirit – ANZAC Day Centenary Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Vs Shinboners and Port Norwood.

A YEAR AGO…

A year ago Ford Fairlane helped me start the Peter Chant thread; full title: ‘Remembering fallen mates – Peter Chant.’ This new thread is its continuation, in broader context.

A year ago I met RussellEbertHandball during Round 5 vs West Coast. He wanted to encourage the Club to do more than it had already done up to that day for Peter’s recognition – and not just Pete, also every other serviceman who wore the Port jumper in whatever grade of football. REH’s enthusiasm overwhelmed me as much as the Club more recently has the aforementioned Veterans SA executive, who is no orphan when it comes to SA ex-servicemen switching on to PAFC this season.

Others who served with Peter Chant in Vietnam have done the same. One of Pete’s mates is an absolute tiger when it comes to war veterans’ causes (for which personal service he has been awarded an OAM). I’ll call him Mick, and that’s as far as he’d wish it to go. He it was who caught sight of Bob Quinn’s medals on a glass shelf at the Port Club… a year ago.

As a result, we now have – with the Club’s complete support from KT all the way through the ranks – an ANZAC project that is up and running: progressive enough, sizeable enough, and patriotic enough for me to tell you about.

This post is only a prologue. REH and fireboy and FF can, as they see fit, add to the story we have to tell. It is a story that has as much future as past – long and historic though that past may be. It’s a story that will develop as we close in on ANZAC Day and ANZAC Round 2014… then as we move on to 2015 and the Anniversary ANZAC Round at Adelaide Oval.

For me thinking about veterans in general and the Port in particular started about 15 years ago when I started talking to my brother inlaw fireboy ( who will make the odd post here) about his family history and it moved to discussions about the depression and wartime and people from around the Port as he is 4th generation on his mum's side and 3rd generation on his dads. His mum's mum had just passed away at 99 and he started telling some of her stories. One was that she had seen all 4 Quinn boys play and that she thought Tommy ( who ended up at Geelong) was better than Bobby

His grandparents generations served in the war and he grew up with stories of going to watch Port play in the 1960's and meeting his grandparents friends who were veterans or war widows or legacy kids. His experience was the Port Adelaide community and PA Footy Club and war service. My parents immigrated to Oz after WWII so whilst I have no direct connection - its all these indirect connections that have shaped me and the country about war time experience and I was keen to find out more since I was about 10.

He started digging up his family history over the last decade, as a couple years ago it was 100 years that his father's side of the family immigrated to Oz. He showed me a few books including one about South Aussies who served in WWII and a book about the 2nd / 43rd Battalion that was basically a South Aussie Battalion that were shipped out of Port Adelaide. Over the years we kept talking about this Port community - and the war service link - and the ties back to the footy club.

In 2002 I went to the August showdown. It was the anniversary of the battle of Long Tan and John Schumann sang I was only 19. I remember looking around at guys maybe a dozen years older than me - of that Vietnam generation and looking at how intense their gaze was. It affected me at the time and i became a bit emotional. I have previously written on big footy that that moment and being at the MCG when Ted Whitten did his lap in 1995 before the state game, have been the 2 most emotional times I have been when attending a game of footy. I thought to myself at the time - there but for the grace of god go I if I was born a dozen or so years earlier or if there were other major conflicts. A few days later was the members info night, and as I was in Adelaide for a few weeks I went along. It was the first ever club function I went to and I was determined to ask Bucky and Greg Boulton a question about the dodgy MCG Preliminary Final rule. But before I raised that issue, I talked about the Long Tan ceremony and how much it effected me and the people around me, and suggested the club should try and make this an annual event.

Since about 2008 my technology development/infrastructure building project management group has made plans to work closely with defence veterans - bring them on to boards and committees as we intend to do a lot of work in Asia at a high government level and know that across the table will be military and ex military men who have a big say in their governments. So if we have ex military people we know that there will be a mutual respect aspect of our dealings. But its more than them being ex military - its their skills and abilities, their networks, their work ethic that we are attracted to as well.

So when I met Lockhart Road in Rd 5 last year and months later his colleague Mick, I had had several years of looking at this bigger picture at looking at the community aspect rather than 1 or 2 ex players who had served and made the ultimate sacrifice.

It has been fantastic that there has been a meeting of mutual minds over the last 12 months and this single idea has turned into a multi layered and multi dimensional ones.

I WAS ONLY NINETEEN

The Peter Chant recognition project, which began so innocently a year ago, has this year blossomed into a presentation of service and campaign medals to the Club by the families of Peter Chant, Bob Quinn and his younger brother George Quinn who was killed in action at El Alamein in 1942 after playing for the Magpies in 1940. The medals have been obtained, fully refurbished where needed, and mounted in specially-created display cases by the 9RAR Association at their / PAFC’s expense. The sets of medals include Bob Quinn’s two Magarey Medals from 1938 and 1945, as well as the Military Medal he was awarded in 1941 for his act of mind-boggling bravery at Tobruk.

Two Fridays ago a lunch was convened at the Port Club, to which Daniel Norton brought along Channel Seven. In attendance were a past 1960s Magpies player who served in Vietnam, the brother-in-law of another who played juniors for Port and lost his life at the Battle of Coral in 1968, plus those from BigFooty and 9RAR Association who are involved in this phase of our ANZAC project.

John Schumann was there, too, as an honorary 9RAR Association member. His children’s book, I Was Only Nineteen, illustrated by Craig Smith according to the theme and chronology of John’s song of the same name, has just been released by Allen & Unwin :-

I’ll invite REH to tell a little more about that lunch, plus what’s still to come on this project.

Greg Quinn arrived later, and saw his father’s medals, military and Magarey, and his Uncle George’s, all pristine again, in their display case. This happened in Matthew Richardson’s office. Matt later described it as ‘one of the highlights of my time at the club… just brilliant.’

The lunch was fantastic to meet LR and Mick's colleague John, also John Quinn who played about 70 games in the reserves and 1 A grade game - where he started the modern trend and his first kick was backwards - resulted in a goal and His wife Sharon. To meet John Schumann whose music shaped me as young teenager at school and talk abit about his music was a treat. Also to have a good long chat to Alan Cooper's brother inlaw who brought photo's of him at footy, general life and military days was great. The family has kept a 30 or so page lift out from The Australian from 1992 when the Vietnam War Memorial was opened with a picture of every soldier that died and a story about who they were, was haunting, sad and humanised that 500 killed number that is so impersonal. I had met Greg Quinn many years ago thru cricket but to meet him thru this situation and listen to him tell stories about his dad was special. Greg Quinn has to be one of the most gentle souls I have ever met.

I didn't go back to Matthew Richardson's office with LR, Mick Greg Quinn and the others to see Bob and George's medals boxed up in the beautiful presentation - I had seen them before lunch - but when Matthew Richardson said watching Greg's reaction was "one of the highlights of his time at the club, seeing his emotion and joy," I just could have pictured the scene.

Being involved in this project has nourished my soul.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Thanks REH, as you say I don't come on here much or TPFP which I have found is defunct. To further assist some of the research there were two "regulars" who frequented TPFP one was 1954 and Red Centre Power, from their posts I believe may have some of the info/ knowledge we are chasing. Where are they?

If anyone thinks they can contribute don't hold back.

This will be an ongoing project, which Port Adelaide and its Community own.

To Lockhart Road (9RAR and others) Hats off to you.:thumbsu:

Thanks REH, as you say I don't come on here much or TPFP which I have found is defunct. To further assist some of the research there were two "regulars" who frequented TPFP one was 1954 and @Red Centre Power, from their posts I believe may have some of the info/ knowledge we are chasing. Where are they?

Many thanks, Dave.
I endorse your definition of ownership of the project and your call to BF-ers to pass the word around.
Am tagging 1954 and @Red Centre Power (although the latter is not showing up as a BF poster, so perhaps now has a different ID).

Channel 7 has now completed its sequence of house visits with 90 minutes at Woodcroft this morning.
We were all told to be watching Today Tonight on Thursday night.

A news crew will also, we were told, be at Before The Bounce on Sunday for the display case presentations.

Thanks REH, as you say I don't come on here much or TPFP which I have found is defunct. To further assist some of the research there were two "regulars" who frequented TPFP one was 1954 and Red Centre Power, from their posts I believe may have some of the info/ knowledge we are chasing. Where are they?

Good to see you posting fireboy. ;)

1954 is posting here and Lockhart has tagged above.

Many thanks, Dave.
I endorse your definition of ownership of the project and your call to BF-ers to pass the word around.
Am tagging 1954 and @Red Centre Power (although the latter is not showing up as a BF poster, so perhaps now has a different ID).

Channel 7 has now completed its sequence of house visits with 90 minutes at Woodcroft this morning.
We were all told to be watching Today Tonight on Thursday night.

A news crew will also, we were told, be at Before The Bounce on Sunday for the display case presentations.

I'm not sure I can add much, except to give my family history ( both sides ) from the Boer War until WW 2.

Great grandfather ( old man's side ) served in the Boer War - born in Inverness, Scotland and enlisted there, and then migrated to Melbourne.
His 3 sons ( my grandfather and two great uncles, Eric and Les ) served in WW 1.

Eric lost a finger at Gallipoli, Les also recieved a minor wound, and then both were sent to France.
Eric was wounded again and sent back to Australia, Les was wounded and gassed, and passed away as a direct result of his war wounds a couple of years after repatriation, just before my old man was born.

Norman ( my grandfather ) was in the light horse in Palestine, and would have been in the charge of the lighthorse at Beersheba, but got an infection and was sent home without seeing any action.

My old man ( RAAF ) served in the western desert, France, Italy and Germany.

Mother's side
4 great uncles served in New Guinea
Jim and Clarry were forward scouts on the Kododa track, and when Jim didn't return within the designated time, Clarry was sent out to look for him, both were believed shot by the same sniper, and were found only metres apart, and both are interred in the Bomana war cemetery.
Spare a thought for the Aussie soldiers who had to retrieve the bodies of the dead, sometimes months after they had been buried where they had fallen, in a tropical jungle.

As far as I'm aware I am the only relative who has visited my uncles' war graves, it was a very moving experience.

A third brother Tom was captured by the Japanese, he left Australia a fairly solid 5' 10" and 12 stone, (168 lbs ) , and returned weighing less than 6 stone, (84 lbs).
He had a leg amputated in the early 50's due to systematic starvation and the onset of diabetes.

At the risk of being labelled a racist ( which I'm not ), if you told the old WW 2 diggers in the 50's and 60's that a large percentage of Aussies would be driving japanese cars by the mid 1980's, they wouldn't have believed it.

The 4th brother Malcolm survived `unscathed ', he was a gun shearer, but geez could he drink and smoke, 12 southwark longnecks every night, and at least 60 roll your owns per day.
He stayed with us when shearing in the area and I can still remember helping my grandma carry out a wooden crate of empty longnecks every morning.

He once bet a local farmer in Mallala 10 quid that he could stop his Ford customline V8 engine with his bare hands, and my old man swears he did it, even though he was the smallest of the 4 bros who served in New Guinea, at about 5' 8" and a wiry 11 stone.

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day. Our first showdown of the year should be Anzac day weekend. Rotate home games each year. I also feel we should have special top for the weekend with all proceeds going towards supporting Anzac charities

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

ANZAC Day has always been a day for me that gives me that sense of pride to be an Australian, after immersing myself into this thread it just reinforces the reasons why I love this club of ours that provides me a sense of belonging.

"His mum's mum had just passed away at 99 and he started telling some of her stories. One was that she had seen all 4 Quinn boys play and that she thought Tommy ( who ended up at Geelong) was better than Bobby "

This insert above from REH post, has the beginnings for us to play against Geelong. Now is it just coincidence that we are happening to be playing Geelong on ANZAC round? I can't think of a better team to play on ANZAC DAY. Hawthorn can have their Easter Monday Football against Geelong.

I can picture John Schuman in 2015 on the 10th Anniversary singing "I was only nineteen" then his "Power to the People" song would just be simply awesome, after The Last Post which always give me goose bumps holding back emotions that I rarely feel on any other important days of the year.

Well Done to all involved in this achievement to remember the players and Vet's who gave us what we enjoy today, our history and Port Adelaide Football Club.

I think a jumper with all the ANZAC's who gave their lives to be worn on the Anniversary.

Last edited:
In getting a 36 hour week, instead of being greedy they have created work for people who might now be unemployed. I think thats a good thing

By the way, we don't want to know what you think of the unemployed.
Anzac round to me is as important to afl teams as the grand final. Obviously they want to win the grand final more. But there is a pride involved with this weekend that has nothing to do with 4 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And hopefully no one interrupts minute of silence like at the showdown.

Your closing line succinctly sums up a win-win-win project for us all, REH.

Don't reckon Eddie Dingle has seen it yet or he'd be on here complaining about a lack of kleenex.

Your posts should have tissues attached.

I spent some time in the ADF (had an issue with being told what to do so 6 years sign on became just under 3) and so did both my parents and I think that's why I feel a bit more emotional on this subject. My old man (RAN) went to Vietnam and my grandfather was killed in the Darwin bombings so the attachment is a few generations strong.

and the winner to hold the Quinn Cup aloft!

Top idea PAFC04

The Port Adelaide : Geelong connection via the Quinn boys - Tom Quinn in the case of Geelong, with him, I'm told, having rated selection in the Cats' Team of the Century - certainly justifies such a prize... and an annual Port v Geelong match on ANZAC Round at Adelaide Oval from here on in.

Wouldn't it be nice if, lets' see... Dwayne Russell... had a piece on this published in this weekend's Sunday Mail, with exposure nation-wide via News Corp, internationally via the 'Net. Very nice.

PS: Another 9RAR mate of Peter Chant's was Dave Pritchard who was playing for Geelong reserves as a ruckman when called up in 1968. Spoke to Pritch yesterday, have been trying to fix it for him to be here for the weekend and BTB, but he can't make it.
There's always 2015, especially if we play the Cats again at the Oval.

KT confirms the Club's ANZAC Round strategy:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-anzac-tradition/story-fnia6ojc-1226892503028

While hometown rival Adelaide has put its hand up to host an Anzac round fixture at Adelaide Oval, Power chief executive Keith Thomas described continuing its home Anzac round tradition — which is entering its 11th year — as its “No. 1 priority pick”.

“This is the 11th consecutive year we’ve hosted a game in this round and we just feel the relationship we’ve managed to build with all of the armed forces and the work we are doing with them in terms of leadership, teamwork and discipline are just so important to our club and our community,” he said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-anzac-tradition/story-fnia6ojc-1226892503028

It's not just a game, it's about community relationships.

(May be plagiarised from Keith Thomas ...)

Last edited:
Since about 2008 my technology development/infrastructure building project management group has made plans to work closely with defence veterans - bring them on to boards and committees as we intend to do a lot of work in Asia at a high government level and know that across the table will be military and ex military men who have a big say in their governments. So if we have ex military people we know that there will be a mutual respect aspect of our dealings. But its more than them being ex military - its their skills and abilities, their networks, their work ethic that we are attracted to as well.

Gis a job mate. ;) I'm in China arm so if you want to send me 10 grand I'll go and speak to the guard at the mausoleum about fixing the dodgy pillars :)

Gis a job mate. ;) I'm in China arm so if you want to send me 10 grand I'll go and speak to the guard at the mausoleum about fixing the dodgy pillars :)

Your cheap. Our oriental buddies want things like 34% of a $100m or $1bil project just for an introduction. Now sure that is a bit of Asian bullshit ambit claim, haggle stuff but to start at 34% means they want about half of that which is a case of piss off when you have done no work. Now0.34% might be more in line but even that would be overpaying by plenty.

Tommy Quinn's bio
http://australianfootball.com/players/player/tommy+quinn/5288

V/AFL ClubsGeelong
V/AFL Games168
V/AFL Career1931-40
V/AFL Goals169
Brownlow Votes42
SANFL ClubsPort Adelaide

Despite standing only 170cm in height, Tom Quinn weighed in at a muscular 80.5kg, and he used his formidable physique to great effect over the course of a 227 game league career which began at Port Adelaide in 1928. Tom's father Jack Quinn had been a fine forward with the Magpies prior to the Great War, and Tom was one of four brothers to follow in his footsteps.

Tom Quinn enjoyed a great start to his league career when he played in a premiership under the coaching of former Port champion 'Shine' Hosking. The Magpies lost badly in a semi final against Norwood, managing just 3.2 (20) for the entire game, but as minor premiers they enjoyed right of challenge, and a fortnight later they comprehensively turned the tables on the Redlegs with a 15.14 (104) to 7.14 (56) win.

Quinn spent three seasons with Port, playing a total of 59 games (plus 6 for the state), before seeking, and being granted, a clearance to Geelong. The Cats had been on Quinn's trail for some time, and when the tank-like rover put in a series of sparkling displays for South Australia at the 1930 Adelaide carnival they became convinced that he was just the sort of player that they needed to help them bring an end to Collingwood's four year reign as the VFL's pre-eminent force. In 1930, Geelong had only narrowly failed to scupper the Magpies, downing them convincingly in the final, only to crumble badly in the following week's challenge final. In order to win a flag, they needed players who thrived in torrid, strenuous, unforgiving conditions, and in Tom Quinn they believed they had acquired just such a player.

Right from the outset, Quinn - known within the club as 'Maggie', in tribute to his origins - was a success. Tough, tenacious and highly skilled, he added bite and vigour to the packs and, together with skipper Ted Baker, gave the Cats the premier roving combination in the league. Just as with Port Adelaide, Quinn ended up savouring the thrill of a premiership in his debut season as Geelong pulled away from Richmond in the second half of a ferociously contested grand final to win by 20 points.

When Ted Baker departed after the 1932 season, Tommy Quinn took on first roving duties with the Cats. Always wholehearted, he was a firm favourite with the Corio Oval faithful, and won club best and fairest awards in 1936 and '37. Immense durability was a feature of his game, and on one occasion he played precisely 100 consecutive games for the Cats. He was also a dangerous player when resting up forward, and averaged a goal a game throughout his 168 match VFL career.

After five seasons of mediocrity, the Cats returned as a force in 1937. Captain-coach Reg Hickey had his side playing a fast, exhilarating run-on brand of football that frequently left opponents gasping. This was seldom better exemplified than during the 1937 grand final, which at the time was popularly described as the greatest ever seen up to that point: for three quarters, Collingwood matched Geelong stride for stride, and at the final change scores were deadlocked, 80 points apiece. Then, with vice-captain Quinn at the forefront, the Cats turned up the heat, leaving the hapless Magpies in their wake. Geelong added 6.6 to 1.4 in a devastating last term display to end up winning by 32 points. For Tom Quinn, who was universally acclaimed as best afield after garnering 31 possessions and six marks in a performance described as 'completely error free?', it was undoubtedly the pinnacle of an illustrious career.
He carried on at Geelong until early in the 1940 season when, after a loss of form, he was dropped to the seconds. He promptly retired.

Between 1946 and 1948 Tommy Quinn was non-playing coach of the Cats, but he failed to get them above seventh place on the ladder.

In 2001 his importance in the history of the Geelong Football Club was officially recognised in some small measure when he was selected as an emergency in the club's 'Team of the Century'. - See more at: http://australianfootball.com/players/player/tommy+quinn/5288#sthash.kxfMUe7y.dpuf

Port Adelaide supports the ANZAC Appeal.

anzacappeal2014_hero_620X370.jpg

Ghost of Gallipoli or trick of light?

gall1-wide-620x349.jpg

gall2-wide-620x349.jpg

Dusk had settled and night was closing in on Beach Cemetery at Hell Spit, on the old Anzac battlefields of Gallipoli, when Fairfax photographer Joe Armao opened the shutter on his last series of pictures for the day – and captured something inexplicable.
Only three people were at the cemetery, or anywhere, so far as we were aware, within kilometres: Armao, guide and local author Celal Boz, and me.
Celal was standing among the silent graves, the only person – no more than a silhouette in the gloom – in the camera's field of vision.
By the time the shutter closed, what appeared to be another ghostly figure had been captured by the camera.
The shadowy silhouette of a figure in a wide-brimmed hat appeared in the frame.
In the foreground is a flower that grows between the gravestones.
Ghost of Gallipoli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back