Toast PAFC & the ANZAC Spirit – ANZAC Day Centenary Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't mentioned it to KT but I have talked about it in the past with a few people and even posted back in 2006 that if we have a cup between the 2 teams it should be the Quinn cup.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/round-9-indigenous-round.288449/#post-6404877

There is another big Geelong-Port link, Reg Hickey and his grandson Matthew Primus. Hopefully in 10 years time there will be a 3rd the Hinkley + Hocking connection.

If we get up a decent Quinn cup concept and the AFL says Port can't have ANZAC round home game every year, then maybe we can set something up with Geelong and one year the game is in Adelaide the next in Geelong, the Peter Badcoe VC medal can still be presented and when the game is in Geelong they can commemorate their footballers and those who served in their communities when the game is played at Geelong and we can do what we have been doing when the game is in Adelaide. Geelong have lost many ex footballers who served in the 2 world wars and Wayne Closters served in Vietnam and it interrupted his footy career. He played 191 games and in 2007 he and a couple of other VFL players who served in Vietnam and got close to 200 games were inducted into the AFL 200 club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victorian_Football_League_players_who_died_on_active_service

This might be our plan B if we don't get to keep an ANZAC round home game and allow a footy club like Geelong whose community would have been similarly affected by war service as ours, to join in commemorating those who served from their footy club and community like we are doing and the away teams can still fully participate on the day.

I haven't mentioned it to KT but I have talked about it in the past with a few people and even posted back in 2006 that if we have a cup between the 2 teams it should be the Quinn cup.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/round-9-indigenous-round.288449/#post-6404877

There is another big Geelong-Port link, Reg Hickey and his grandson Matthew Primus. Hopefully in 10 years time there will be a 3rd the Hinkley + Hocking connection.

If we get up a decent Quinn cup concept and the AFL says Port can't have ANZAC round home game every year, then maybe we can set something up with Geelong and one year the game is in Adelaide the next in Geelong, the Peter Badcoe VC medal can still be presented and when the game is in Geelong they can commemorate their footballers and those who served in their communities when the game is played at Geelong and we can do what we have been doing when the game is in Adelaide. Geelong have lost many ex footballers who served in the 2 world wars and Wayne Closters served in Vietnam and it interrupted his footy career. He played 191 games and in 2007 he and a couple of other VFL players who served in Vietnam and got close to 200 games were inducted into the AFL 200 club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victorian_Football_League_players_who_died_on_active_service

This might be our plan B if we don't get to keep an ANZAC round home game and allow a footy club like Geelong whose community would have been similarly affected by war service as ours, to join in commemorating those who served from their footy club and community like we are doing and the away teams can still fully participate on the day.
What happened to Tommy Quinn? the few things I've read about him say death unknown

The Power v Cats game for the Quinn cup is a sensational concept!!!

I hope and presume that this has already been mentioned to KT, if not - jump on the phone ASAP!!!

Done, mate.

I have an appointment tomorrow at Alberton, to discuss the 16 May event in Hong Kong, and expect to be able to check if the idea has taken root.

Port Adelaide is unveiling its defence force / ANZAC strategy, including additional corporate support through BAE Systems.

Fantastic work by the club and the people from BigFooty who have set this ball rolling and provided their support. :thumbsu:

Port to own ANZAC Day

930050-b1256144-cae2-11e3-9484-00a97bf135c7.jpg

Private Liam Lusty, left, Port Adelaide’s Jarman Impey and BAE Systems CEO David Allot in front of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander War Memorial. Picture: Sarah Reed. Source: News Corp Australia

In the lead-up to the game, the Power has:

SUPPORTED a war memorial near Adelaide Oval for indigenous and Torres Island servicemen.

DEDICATED game-day collections at the Oval for the RSL.

FORMED a partnership with the 7 RAR Battalion to share resources.

CREATED a “Defence Recognition Program” to recognise veterans, current defence personnel and the defence industry in Adelaide’s northern suburbs.

STARTED a program — “Optimistic Kids” — for the children of defence staff who meet Power players at Alberton to develop positive mental strength and resilience.

Port this week has gained corporate support - with sponsorship with BAE Systems - to fund its ties to the defence sector.
Port to own ANZAC Day

Keith Thomas explains the significance of Port's strategy.

Port chief executive Keith Thomas on Wednesday highlighted his club’s focus on defence forces and military history goes far beyond honouring the Anzacs during an annual football game.

“The significance of the defence industry to the community is growing every year and the precinct extends from Port Adelaide into the north with the RAAF Edinburgh base,” Thomas said.

“It makes sense that we do as much as possible to support and recognise this industry.

“Having this backing from BAE Systems with the war memorial, our programs and our game on Sunday means we can increase our off-field work with the defence sector leading up to the Anzac Day centenary.”

Last edited:
The Power v Cats game for the Quinn cup is a sensational concept!!!

I hope and presume that this has already been mentioned to KT, if not - jump on the phone ASAP!!!

Pros and cons.

It's a great concept as far as PAFC is concerned, but Geelong may not be keen to commit to ANZAC Round at Adelaide Oval every season... unless they use this as a bargaining chip with the AFL for something in future fixtures that they do want.

Playing alternatively at the Oval and Kardinia Park flies in the face of PAFC's prime objective of playing every ANZAC Round at home.

I'd love to see the Cats back for Anniversary ANZAC Round 2015... play for the Quinn Cup as a one-off... then take it from there.

oursoldiers_620X370.jpg

The club has posted a list Port Adelaide servicemen in times of war on its website. Wonder what role Lockhart Road and RussellEbertHandball played in compiling this list?

WWI
Arthur Biscombe
John Robertson
Samuel Howie
Clement Dayman
Thomas Sard
Arthur Channon
Gordon Inkster
Roy Drummond
William Theodore
Horace Hoare
Edward Foggo
Lawrence Levy
Maurice Allingham
Edward Oatey
David Bower
William Marshall
Charles Badcock
Clarence Latimer
Robert Coffen
William Boon †
Joseph Watson †
Albert Chaplin †

WWII
Robert B. Quinn
Harry Perry
Geoffrey Wiese
Archibald ‘Spiker’ Dowsett
Reginald Schumann
Frederick Peters
Leslie McLean
Richard Mayne
Dennis Fitzgerald
Francis Gibaut
John White
Harry Naismith
William Glennon
Ken Gardiner
Douglas Pudney
Gordon Dayman
Tom ‘Bull’ Perry
Arthur Utting
Norman McInnes
Kenneth Johnson
John Quinn
Drozena Eden
Harold Beer
John Johnson
Charles Andersen
Lincoln Burnell
Kenneth Slade
Richard Mayne
Dennis Fitzgerald
Bertram Robinson
Lloyd Rudd †
Maxwell Carmichael †
George Quinn †
Christopher Johnston †
Halcombe Brock †
John Wade †

Vietnam
Peter Chant †

† denotes killed in action or died while serving

Port Adelaide servicemen in times of war

Last edited:
That's my great-grandfather.
Just to add to this, I've heard in the past that he may have won the reserves Magarey (not actually sure what this is called) and may have captained the state reserves team. Any idea who I'd talk to to find out more about this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to add to this, I've heard in the past that he may have won the reserves Magarey (not actually sure what this is called) and may have captained the state reserves team. Any idea who I'd talk to to find out more about this?

Matt Agius in the Media Department at PAFC. Give him a call. He'd welcome it.
He's working on this project in diligent long-term style leading in to ANZAC Round 2015 and has access to whatever records are at the Club.
He's probably already read your post, MrSpeaker sir !

I also need to advise that the Today Tonight ANZAC segment including Peter Chant and Bob & George Quinn is scheduled for tomorrow night, not tonight.

Sorry 'bout that.

We've had calls that Channel 7 is running promos thru tonight re tomorrow's programme.

Is Reginald Schumann John Schumann's Dad?

The club has posted Port Adelaide servicemen in times of war on its website. Wonder what role Lockhart Road and RussellEbertHandball played in compiling this list?

WWI
Arthur Biscombe
John Robertson
Samuel Howie
Clement Dayman
Thomas Sard
Arthur Channon
Gordon Inkster
Roy Drummond
William Theodore
Horace Hoare
Edward Foggo
Lawrence Levy
Maurice Allingham
Edward Oatey
David Bower
William Marshall
Charles Badcock
Clarence Latimer
Robert Coffen
William Boon †
Joseph Watson †
Albert Chaplin †

WWII
Robert B. Quinn
Harry Perry
Geoffrey Wiese
Archibald ‘Spiker’ Dowsett
Reginald Schumann
Frederick Peters
Leslie McLean
Richard Mayne
Dennis Fitzgerald
Francis Gibaut
John White
Harry Naismith
William Glennon
Ken Gardiner
Douglas Pudney
Gordon Dayman
Tom ‘Bull’ Perry
Arthur Utting
Norman McInnes
Kenneth Johnson
John Quinn
Drozena Eden
Harold Beer
John Johnson
Charles Andersen
Lincoln Burnell
Kenneth Slade
Richard Mayne
Dennis Fitzgerald
Bertram Robinson
Lloyd Rudd †
Maxwell Carmichael †
George Quinn †
Christopher Johnston †
Halcombe Brock †
John Wade †

Vietnam
Peter Chant †

† denotes killed in action or died while serving

Port Adelaide servicemen in times of war

A couple of those names came from work that LR's colleague Mick and I have done. At last year's May Club 1870 event I met club historian John Sincock's son Jeff ( I pretty sure his name was Jeff) and we talked about his dad's work for the club as well as a bit about his poor health. We did talk a bit about his father having some files on ex players who had served in various wars.

When Mick and I met Matthew Richardson in February I mentioned Jeff Sincock but as his dad had only just passed away we left it that he would contact him closer to ANZAC day. I think Richo contacted him recently and I wouldn't be surprised if many of these names were confirmed from John Sincock's files.

But there are 5 names I can think of that are missing
John Quinn who served in Vietnam and I met with LR and co. a couple of weeks ago at the club - unless the John Quinn above was incorrectly placed under the WW II heading, but the Quinn family tree has many branches.

Alan John Cooper who was killed in action in Vietnam before he turned 21 and played U/17's and U/19's for the club and

Fos Williams who served in the army and then navy in WWII in the Pacific. Fos obviously played for Port after WWII but I think he should be counted in any future honour board and any other player who may have played for another club as well as Port but served in the forces.

John Fletcher served in Vietnam

Lindsay McGee served in Vietnam

From the club's 11th of November Remembrance Day - Lest We Forget: Port Adelaide's fallen servicemen page.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-11-11/lest-we-forget

Last edited:
Is Reginald Schumann John Schumann's Dad?

I didn't hear John talk about him at the lunch at the Port Club a couple weeks ago when LR and his 9RAR colleagues and others attended.

Magnificent story re Indestructible Roy Drummond MM on Club website and by Rucci in today's press.

The Australian War Memorial in Canberra last year found record of an Indestructible who had served in WWI and not been registered as at that point on the PAFC Roll of Honour.

No time to check if that was Roy or another digger as am heading out for the Light Horse / War Horse / Armoured Corps Mermorial Service

drummond.jpg

Roy Drummond, Port Adelaide's lost Military Medallist
But, purely by chance, the Port Adelaide Football Club last week unearthed the incredible war story of another former player, one whose achievements in war seemed known to none but his own family.

William Roy Sharpe Drummond – better known to family and friends simply as ‘Roy’ – was born in Largs Bay in October 1890 and grew up in Port Adelaide heartland on the Le Fevre peninsula north-west of Adelaide.
Roy Drummond, Port Adelaide's lost Military Medallist

To paraphrase an Australian entertainment icon, do yourself a favour and go to the website and read the story of this amazing young man who played in Port Adelaide's unbeatable 1914 team.

I hope Matthew Agius is reading this because he has written a superbly researched, brilliantly written insight into the life and times of a hitherto little known Port Adelaide legend.

It is amazing and heart-rending the mighty tree that is growing from a seed planted by Lockhart Road only a short 12 months ago.

And Rucci's article.

455273-e437fc98-cb48-11e3-9484-00a97bf135c7.jpg

Ian Drummond, left, and Phil Smyth with war medals of their grandfather Will “Roy” Drummond, who served in World War I and also played in Port Adelaide’s 1914 premiership. Picture: Sarah Reed. Source: News Corp Australia

William 'Roy' Drummond
PORT Adelaide’s push to play a significant part in the centenary Anzac Day celebrations - perhaps with a Friday night blockbuster at Adelaide Oval - has gained merit by finding a World War I hero in its player roll call.
While Port has repeatedly hailed Magarey Medallist Bob Quinn who was awarded the Military Medal during World War II, the club has learned another premiership champion earned the same honour for his bravery as an original Anzac.

William “Roy” Drummond’s story as a military hero is among many ignored by SA football after the Anzacs returned to Adelaide from the World War I battlefields. But with the centenary of the Gallipoli landings to be commemorated next year, the Port Adelaide Football Club has sought to redress this oversight.

This research has uncovered Drummond, a member of the club’s 1913-14 premiership teams, was awarded the Military Medal for his bravery and leadership in battle on the Western Front in 1918.
William 'Roy' Drummond

Pass the tissue box Eddie Dingle

My thoughts exactly as I was reading that article FF.

Reading those two articles one after the other could get someone a bit misty.

I have to admit to feeling a bit of pride that this board helped get the Peter Chant recognition out there and started this ball rolling.

The work of the Port Adelaide Football Club, Lockhart Road his armed service colleagues and our own RussellEbertHandball and fireboy has been magnificent.

I have been fortunate to see the Peter Chant and Quinn memorial displays and it is an otherworldly feeling.

I just saw Geoffrey Wiese name WW2 .. I knew Geoff as we both Members of The Western District Angling Club and he never spoke about WW2. I first met Geoff when he worked for Colton Palmer & Preston in Currie Street .. that's where I bought my fishing gear from. When that firm closed he opened his own shop .. Adelaide fishing tackle in Peel Street.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back