Toast PAFC & the ANZAC Spirit – ANZAC Day Centenary Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

The Quinn cup is a brilliant idea, and sensational stuff by all concerned in getting the well deserved recognition for anyone with a Port Adelaide connection, who served in either of the world wars, or Vietnam.

I would be very surprised if there aren't Port families that had members who were in the Boer war, and possibly the Korean conflict as well, maybe this thread can jog someone's memory.

I just saw Geoffrey Wiese name WW2 .. I knew Geoff as we both Members of The Western District Angling Club and he never spoke about WW2. I first met Geoff when he worked for Colton Palmer & Preston in Currie Street .. that's where I bought my fishing gear from. When that firm closed he opened his own shop .. Adelaide fishing tackle in Peel Street.

Geoff is my late Father in Law. He served in the 2/48th Btn and was wounded in action at El Alamein

Geoff is my late Father in Law. He served in the 2/48th Btn and was wounded in action at El Alamein

Good to see you again Rexie.

Just got home from ANZAC proceedings, checked emails, checked BF and saw... Rexie J !!!

What icing on my ANZAC Day cake !

Welcome back, cobber. Expect a call tomorrow.

I thought this day would never come ... but here's the link to Today Tonight. Hopefully the Quinn/Chant segment featuring our very own Lockhart Road will go up later tonight.

Lockhart Road you should get Mick to sign up to BF so we can acknowledge his efforts. :thumbsu:

Just got home from ANZAC proceedings, checked emails, checked BF and saw... Rexie J !!!

What icing on my ANZAC Day cake !

Welcome back, cobber. Expect a call tomorrow.

ANZAC Day transcends all days mate - so many memories of my late Father who cherished this day beyond all else to be with all his now long gone mates. It seems only one remains from the 2/14th Field Infantry.

But on a lighter note - well sort of - Lloyd was 89 when he died in July '06 and had never missed a March until that fateful diagnosis. When told he would not be able to March, despite many hours of 'practice' around Kent Town, he was told it was out of the question.

But, he protested, "I've just bought a new pair of shoes especially"

Last edited:
P.S. this is why the AFL's oversight today on Facebook to not include PAFC's fallen in its list infuriated me. This is not AFL vs VFL achievements. This should have recognised any clubs players who paid the ultimate sacrifice. We are an AFL club now, our war heroes should have been equally recognised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

P.S. this is why the AFL's oversight today on Facebook to not include PAFC's fallen in its list infuriated me. This is not AFL vs VFL achievements. This should have recognised any clubs players who paid the ultimate sacrifice. We are an AFL club now, our war heroes should have been equally recognised.

You are absolutely right, mate.
I heard the post-match speech from the MCG on the car radio and noted the exclusive honourable reference to 'VFL'.
The ANZAC Match on the MCG belongs to the whole of Football Australia.
Never thought I'd see myself type this, but I hope Graham Cornes heard it, too.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-04-24/bae-systems-join-as-new-partner

Mr Thomas said:
“Support from BAE Systems will allow our club through Power Community Ltd to increase its support for the Defence sector as we approach the 2015 ANZAC Day Centenary.”
Power Community Ltd continues to work closely with the key Veteran organisations including Veterans SA, the Returned Services League (RSL), Legacy and Soldier On. The organisations and their clients are hosted at Power games and are provided with fundraising support throughout the year. Eight Port Adelaide players recently visited veterans at the Repatriation Hospital to create awareness and fundraising support for hospital renovations. In addition, the RSL will be the game-day charity for AFL ANZAC Round on Sunday April 27th.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-04-24/bae-systems-join-as-new-partner

( See also the 'New Corporate Partner - BAE Systems' thread just opened by Ford Fairlane )

ANZAC Day transcends all days mate - so many memories of my late Father who cherished this day beyond all else to be with all his now long gone mates. It seems only one remains from the 2/14th Field Infantry.

But on a lighter note - well sort of - Lloyd was 89 when he died in July '06 and had never missed a March until that fateful diagnosis. When told he would not be able to March, despite many hours of 'practice' around Kent Town, he was told it was out of the question.

But, he protested, "I've just bought a new pair of shoes especially"

How appropriate for us to witness the BF comeback of Rexie J on ANZAC Day 2014 !

He it was, just over 12 months ago, who set it up for me with Ford Fairlane to open the thread on which the first Peter Chant post was made.

Many many thanks again, 'Number 10 with the dicky knees.' Hang around, mate, we missed you.

Edit: Hang on, you wore Number 16, right ?

It's amazing how far Port's relationship with its veterans has progressed and been recognised in such a short time.

How appropriate for us to witness the BF comeback of Rexie J on ANZAC Day 2014 !

He it was, just over 12 months ago, who set it up for me with Ford Fairlane to open the thread on which the first Peter Chant post was made.

Many many thanks again, 'Number 10 with the dicky knees.' Hang around, mate, we missed you.

Edit: Hang on, you wore Number 16, right ?

Appreciate the kind words LR, and yep.............#16.

Just to add to this, I've heard in the past that he may have won the reserves Magarey (not actually sure what this is called) and may have captained the state reserves team. Any idea who I'd talk to to find out more about this?

Horace Hoare went to WWI. The reserves Magarey Medal was first awarded in 1919. I have checked my SANFL post 1977 Centenary season book and his name doesn't appear on the list of medal winners. The U/19 and U/17 meals started in 1939.

And Rucci's article.

455273-e437fc98-cb48-11e3-9484-00a97bf135c7.jpg

Ian Drummond, left, and Phil Smyth with war medals of their grandfather Will “Roy” Drummond, who served in World War I and also played in Port Adelaide’s 1914 premiership. Picture: Sarah Reed. Source: News Corp Australia

William 'Roy' Drummond

William 'Roy' Drummond

Pass the tissue box Eddie Dingle

I thought when genes were passed down it was physical characteristics - eg eye colour, height, looks, degenerative hips etc. But in this case it looks like the intangibles were handed down as well

The citation reads: “Lance-Corporal W. R. S. Drummond took control of his platoon (in battle at Hamel near Amiens on July 7, 1918) after almost all other non-commissioned officers were killed. He reorganised the platoon and led them to their objective that night.

He also assisted with the wounded that night and showed great coolness and initiative throughout the operation.”

Phil Smyth was called The General because the way he organised his team mates on the field. From his Australian Sports Hall of Fame Bio page.

http://www.sahof.org.au/hall-of-fame/member-profile/?memberID=208&memberType=athlete
As the team's point guard, responsible for controlling the team's tempo and play selection, Phil became known in Australia and around the world as 'The General'. In addition to being a fine shooter, playmaker and defensive player, Phil was renowned as one of the most astute basketball players Australia has produced, and perhaps its finest ever court leader commanding great respect from his peers.

http://www.sahof.org.au/hall-of-fame/member-profile/?memberID=208&memberType=athlete

I just saw Geoffrey Wiese name WW2 .. I knew Geoff as we both Members of The Western District Angling Club and he never spoke about WW2. I first met Geoff when he worked for Colton Palmer & Preston in Currie Street .. that's where I bought my fishing gear from. When that firm closed he opened his own shop .. Adelaide fishing tackle in Peel Street.

That is a very common story and one that I expect to be repeated time and again as we spend the next few months searching for past players who served their country.

Welcome back Rexie J . Looks like like you are the man to contact to get his details as part of our project.

Welcome back Rexie J . Looks like like you are the man to contact to get his details as part of our project.

Many thanks REH - more than happy to provide whatever info is required.

Geoff played in the 1946 PAFC team which was runners-up - we have the team photo.

Or perhaps a wedding photo in which Alan Greer was best man:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back