List Mgmt. Pick #5 - Welcome Adam Cerra [Traded to Carlton for 6 & F3]

Which brand of spud do we end up with (not if you want them or not)

• SPS

• Fisher

• Carroll

• Newnes

• Dow

• Nada

• Brackets McSpuddin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Beating the blues in the grand final would be better than the Eagles imo.

******* scumbags
Knock the Scum out in a prelim so they don't even get there and then flog Carltank. FTFY.

We gave Cerra a contract, I'm more than happy with how he held up his end of that contract. He didn't owe us the soul of his unborn first child or anything more than good footy and not making awkward news items for the club (such as dropping your pants at midnight kebabs).

In leaving, he was gracious and let us shop him around rather than making things difficult. As good as he is, we have just drafted a possibly stronger hand than if he had stayed with us.

So when you see him on a footy field in another teams vest, remember him fondly, he served us well.
Well said. I have a lot of time for Cerra - he gave us 75 good games and will be remembered well at freo. As you said - there are plenty of a-hole ex players who stuffed this club around but he’s not one of them.

I was sorry to see Cerra go and think he is well on the way to being a top quality AFL player. However he didn't see his future with us so we have to accept his decision.

Freo didn't win the trade but I am happy we did a well as we could out of the situation.

The main issue with players of Cerra's age group leaving is that it keeps resetting the team development time frame as the draftee replacements have to start from scratch. A few established traded in players offsets that to a degree but are often expensive in terms of draft capital. I hope in 5 years we can say this worked out well for Freo 🤞

Carlton are starting to overtake West Coast as my most hated team now, first they try and steal Henry, then that Jack Newnes bullshit, then Cripps, then both games last year, then trading for Cerra, then stealing Motlop.

* you Carlton I hope you stay out of finals for good you Blue twats.

I was sorry to see Cerra go and think he is well on the way to being a top quality AFL player. However he didn't see his future with us so we have to accept his decision.

Freo didn't win the trade but I am happy we did a well as we could out of the situation.

The main issue with players of Cerra's age group leaving is that it keeps resetting the team development time frame as the draftee replacements have to start from scratch. A few established traded in players offsets that to a degree but are often expensive in terms of draft capital. I hope in 5 years we can say this worked out well for Freo
I think it's left us in an enviable position. The major mistake Carlton, GWS and Gold Coast have made is that they've lacked elite leadership to develop their high end draft talent.

We've essentially got three layers of high character leaders/future leaders now, all feeding into each other; Fyfe, Mundy and Walters (don't underestimate his impact on our young indigenous talent) who have developed/are still developing Brayshaw, Serong, Ryan (and Moose when fit), who in turn are now stepping up to lead and also help develop Chappy, Young, Erasmus and Johnson along with the top leadership tier.

It's the kind of setup that gives us a great shot at sustained success and establishes expectations throughout the club that are bigger than any one player. It gives us an identity and makes us an attractive place for players to come and play (and stay). Very excited for the next 5-6 year period and beyond.

TLDR: Culture innit

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The main issue with players of Cerra's age group leaving is that it keeps resetting the team development time frame as the draftee replacements have to start from scratch. A few established traded in players offsets that to a degree but are often expensive in terms of draft capital. I hope in 5 years we can say this worked out well for Freo 🤞

Yeah pretty much this
I mean obviously we have lovely new shiny toys who all look like they will be very good players in a few years but the reality is, statistically and qualitatively, none of them are likely to turn out to be better than Cerra long term, and we have lost those years of his development.
It will take only a few rounds into next year for this thread to be populated by people trying to explain why we are treading water again because we lost Cerra and have replaced him with guys that need a couple of years to develop. Some of those teams in the best 22 for 2022 thread with Erasmus and Amiss in are, politely, a bit optimistic

Yeah pretty much this
I mean obviously we have lovely new shiny toys who all look like they will be very good players in a few years but the reality is, statistically and qualitatively, none of them are likely to turn out to be better than Cerra long term, and we have lost those years of his development.
It will take only a few rounds into next year for this thread to be populated by people trying to explain why we are treading water again because we lost Cerra and have replaced him with guys that need a couple of years to develop. Some of those teams in the best 22 for 2022 thread with Erasmus and Amiss in are, politely, a bit optimistic

TBH I'm not sure if I'm that worried for next year with Cerra gone. If I recall Walters did a handy job this year at filling in for him when he was injured.

Longterm will be painful if we can't find a replacement for him at the draft.

Yeah pretty much this

Normally I'd agree with this but I've seen enough of Erasmus and Johnson to expect them to come to hand very quickly, and I personally think Erasmus will be a much better player than Cerra.

We gave Cerra a contract, I'm more than happy with how he held up his end of that contract. He didn't owe us the soul of his unborn first child or anything more than good footy and not making awkward news items for the club (such as dropping your pants at midnight kebabs).

In leaving, he was gracious and let us shop him around rather than making things difficult. As good as he is, we have just drafted a possibly stronger hand than if he had stayed with us.

So when you see him on a footy field in another teams vest, remember him fondly, he served us well.
I agree with most of this.

I think Cerra could have signed a 2 year deal with us, then we could have traded him under contract and received a first and second outright (at the least).

Other than that, I think the whole situation was handled really well. Very classy from Freo and Adam. Carton were dicks about the trade, but they knew we'd eventually blink.

Carlton are starting to overtake West Coast as my most hated team now, first they try and steal Henry, then that Jack Newnes bullshit, then Cripps, then both games last year, then trading for Cerra, then stealing Motlop.

fu** you Carlton I hope you stay out of finals for good you Blue twats.
They were also the club that broke the gentleman's agreement about not sending kids to the PSD (Martin).

When they picked Motlop I guess it wasn't a surprise. They are so unimaginative. Freo do the work - Carlton fly in like a seagull, make a lot of noise, s**t on everything and leave with the chips. It's getting a bit tired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH I'm not sure if I'm that worried for next year with Cerra gone. If I recall Walters did a handy job this year at filling in for him when he was injured.

Longterm will be painful if we can't find a replacement for him at the draft.
We already did. Johnson looks just as good imo, the only edge Cerra had was his contested footy was great, Johnson is faster though.

Well said. I have a lot of time for Cerra - he gave us 75 good games and will be remembered well at freo. As you said - there are plenty of a-hole ex players who stuffed this club around but he’s not one of them.

Put it this way Cerra is not a G..f.

Good on ya son, ...... “ ok, Darcy & Kohuna, let it rip ..... “.

They were also the club that broke the gentleman's agreement about not sending kids to the PSD (Martin).

When they picked Motlop I guess it wasn't a surprise. They are so unimaginative. Freo do the work - Carlton fly in like a seagull, make a lot of noise, sh*t on everything and leave with the chips. It's getting a bit tired.

I’m tipping that this next season that the following phrase will get a workout, “couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag”. Yep that is Carlton.

I'm predicting some classic games vs Carlton over the next few years. We're both on the same trajectory towards top 4.

Really hoping their Voss experiment fails horribly allowing the exodus to send Motlop back our way. Also hope their bus breaks down.

Losing Cerra might be the best thing that ever happened to us.

Directly drafted the desperately needed kpf with the pick we received for him - tick.

Then using the cap space we would have used for Cerra we got Brodie and Johnson.

So effectively 3 players for 1, two of which may turn out to be guns (and hey, Brodie might thrive too, he was a top 10 pick at a woeful club).

I'm predicting some classic games vs Carlton over the next few years. We're both on the same trajectory towards top 4.
We really need to learn how to beat Carlton. Had we beaten them in both games we would have played finals. And nobody would be talking about Carlton making any progress

While it is Amiss who we drafted in with the traded in pick we received, Johnson is as like for like an it gets for Cerra. If he develops as hoped we have done well.
I look back at certain departures with mixed results.

I was gutted that Jesse Hogan didn't work out.

The Rory Lobb trade was a major thing for us at the time but it wasn't a throw all the eggs on the one basket trade. We at least got a late 1st or early 2nd back in that trade.

I have no animosity towards Harley Bennell or the Harley Bennell trade(s). We at least got Darcy Tucker. I wished we kept Sam Collins.

No animosity towards Brad Hill. Got guys like Serong, acres and Aish in that trade

Personally, I hope Cerra wins a Brownlow... and the best Carlton do while he's there is lose in the first week of the finals. Similar wishes for Lachie Neale, although it'd be best if he could become Freo's Buckley (all the individual success; old club wins 3 straight flags :blush: )

Personally, I hope Cerra wins a Brownlow... and the best Carlton do while he's there is lose in the first week of the finals. Similar wishes for Lachie Neale, although it'd be best if he could become Freo's Buckley (all the individual success; old club wins 3 straight flags :blush: )
For some reason I just don't see Cerra as Brownlow material...

Back