List Mgmt. Pick #5 - Welcome Adam Cerra [Traded to Carlton for 6 & F3]

Which brand of spud do we end up with (not if you want them or not)

• SPS

• Fisher

• Carroll

• Newnes

• Dow

• Nada

• Brackets McSpuddin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton has offered Cez 700k for 5 years. I don't want to jinx it but no way he accepts that.

Not worth 750k. Yet.

Brayshaw should be asking for 1 million.

Bad list management to overpay one player. Others like Serong and Young will expect the same. A 150k bonus for being Victorian. What will the WA boys think?

In better news, apparently a 'D.Heppell' just applied for membership to Royal Freo golf club.
My source says he is locked in for us in 2022. Bombers even good enough to play him at half back so he is ready to step in there for us. Definite shortage in that position on our list.

I hope he does sign, but I think it’s pretty obvious from all reports that he is being offered more money than his current output warrants. I’m guessing that’s why there is a sticking point over a 4 year v 2 year deal.
It’s a legitimate question to ask - should be be overpaying young talent based on potential? What will Caleb Serongs manager ask for in 2 years time? If it was me I wouldn’t take a penny less than what Cerra earns.
I know some will say “how do we know how much he has been offered” etc etc, but the 4 year contract worth $3m has been out there for a while from several sources some of whom are quite reliable, and so I assume it’s close to the mark.
Personally I think Cerra warrants a deal of about $550k for 4 years. I’d be guessing that is in the ballpark of what Brayshaw would have signed at the back end of last year.
I’d be amazed if Richmond especially were to offer him more than that. If anything they tend to underpay players to stay around for flags. Carlton - who the * knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not worth 750k. Yet.

Bad list management to overpay one player. Others like Serong and Young will expect the same. A 150k bonus for being Victorian. What will the WA boys think?
Well Victorians are better than west Australian players. Sounds fair 😁😁😁

Not worth 750k. Yet.

And the last thing we want is to be stuck in a Collingwood type of situation with too many overpaid players.

I really want Cerra to stay but I think the numbers being mentioned are over the top. If he gets 750k now what will he want when he performs as a 750k player?

And the last thing we want is to be stuck in a Collingwood type of situation with too many overpaid players.

I really want Cerra to stay but I think the numbers being mentioned are over the top. If he gets 750k now what will he want when he performs as a 750k player?
Collingwoods main issue appeared to have been an inability to operate a simple spreadsheet as opposed to paying specific players too much (they were all pretty good players)
The idea that the biggest football club in the county could be offering people deals and they didn't have a system that could flag issues just by typing the numbers in beggars belief.

Collingwoods main issue appeared to have been an inability to operate a simple spreadsheet as opposed to paying specific players too much (they were all pretty good players)
The idea that the biggest football club in the county could be offering people deals and they didn't have a system that could flag issues just by typing the numbers in beggars belief.

Yes, but do you think it is beyond Fremantle to make the same mistake? :p

Is this actually true or some club media bs (is there a media report for this)? I'd have thought Collingwood knew exactly what they were doing when they signed people to extraordinary deals. They saw themselves in a window to win a flag and went all in accepting they would completely s**t the bed in a couple of years but thought that if they won a flag in the process, all would be forgiven. While Ned was the fall guy and deserves criticism for some of those diabolical trades last year, he was between a rock and a hard place due to Gubby Allen stuffing the cap the years prior (like he did at GWS).

Last edited:
You wonder what players like Luke Ryan and Brayshaw would be thinking deep down if they see Cerra getting $750k next year…
I would doubt we have ever had a 5th year player earning that kind of money before.. maybe Nat Fyfe but even then I’m not sure.
Most players make the big bucks in the contract signed just before their free agency year, to run through those late 20s, which for Cerra wouldn’t be until 2025.

Is this actually true or some club media bs (is there a media report for this)? I'd have through Collingwood knew exactly what they were doing when they signed people to extraordinary deals. They saw themselves in a window to win a flag and went all in accepting they would completely sh*t the bed in a couple of years but thought that if they won a flag in the process, all would be forgiven. While Ned was the fall guy and deserves criticism for some of those diabolical trades last year, he was between a rock and a hard place due to Gubby Allen stuffing the cap the years prior (like he did at GWS).
I always assumed they knew but probably didn't think it would play out so violently.

You wonder what players like Luke Ryan and Brayshaw would be thinking deep down if they see Cerra getting $750k next year…
I would doubt we have ever had a 5th year player earning that kind of money before.. maybe Nat Fyfe but even then I’m not sure.
Most players make the big bucks in the contract signed just before their free agency year, to run through those late 20s, which for Cerra wouldn’t be until 2025.
In every organisation I've ever worked, there have been people who earned less than they should and some more than they should, for a variety of reasons.

If Cerra gets approx $700k pa and Ryan/Brayshaw get in the vicinity of $500k-$600k, I really don't think it would faze them too much.

Is this actually true or some club media bs (is there a media report for this)? I'd have through Collingwood knew exactly what they were doing when they signed people to extraordinary deals. They saw themselves in a window to win a flag and went all in accepting they would completely sh*t the bed in a couple of years but thought that if they won a flag in the process, all would be forgiven. While Ned was the fall guy and deserves criticism for some of those diabolical trades last year, he was between a rock and a hard place due to Gubby Allen stuffing the cap the years prior (like he did at GWS).
Its neither, its my opinion.

I think they knew they could potentially create a cap squeeze dong what they were doing but the final magnitude of it tells me there has to have been a stuff up in there. There was no way that level of damage was acceptable flag chance or not.

I think they knew they could potentially create a cap squeeze dong what they were doing but the final magnitude of it tells me there has to have been a stuff up in there. There was no way that level of damage was acceptable flag chance or not.
Yeah, I dont think they fully appreciated the shitstorm that would happen as a result but they knew they were going to have to jettison some players for chips, I'd be surprised if at the start of last year or the year before even that they didnt know their cap was ****ed. They probably also wrongly thought any player they told they were trading would just cop it and move on.

Anywho on Cerra, yes, I'm not comfortable paying the dude 750k to keep him and have said previously I'd be open to saying 2 years isnt enough time for us since if we lose you then we are two further years back on development of draft picks.

At the very least, if Cerra wont sign for more than 2, I'm making it 550k since that is what his performances are currently worth

Last edited:

I’m convinced Dayne Beams screwed them over royally in this salary cap crisis.
He would have taken over $2m out of their cap over 4 years without any meaningful return in terms of games played.
Then last week him saying his payments were outside the cap - I’m calling bullshit on that. He would have been annoyed with pies fans blaming him for his part in the debacle and tried to wash his hands of responsibility by lying. He’s got plenty of form in that regard, as anyone who attended Brisbane’s B&F in 2018 would attest to.
In reality an AFL club is only ever one bad contract away from a salary cap crisis.
I remember some freo fans saying we should sign Hogan up for $1m a season for 7 years!!! 😂😂😂

That's fine worthy.
Hey, the profile picture of the group is a picture of a hacker wearing a hoodie, they definitely know their stuff. If you zoom into the face you can see it's Basil Zempilas. You'll all be sorry for laughing at me!

Back