List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

This one hurts more than any other injury we've had this year. Losing guys like Schulz, White, Ryder has hurt us this year, but Dougal doing his ACL could hurt us for the next decade. He had the perfect opportunity to develop his skills in the AFL side and maybe even establish himself as a best 22 player, and now that opportunity is gone through no fault of his own. And now there's gonna be question marks on whether he gets his agility and lateral movement back. Sucks.

Any ACL is s**t news but to have it happen to a 20yo who's shown some real potential is heart breaking. Not only that, this is almost the worst possible time for it to happen as well. We won't see him at AFL level again until 2018.

Any ACL is s**t news but to have it happen to a 20yo who's shown some real potential is heart breaking. Not only that, this is almost the worst possible time for it to happen as well. We won't see him at AFL level again until 2018.
That's not correct. A traditional ACL reconstruction is 9 months. He could do majority of pre season running and legit be available for round 1 2017.

Absolutely horrendous news. He was showing so much and after finally looking we might be on track to develop a forward, we'll have to wait 12 months and keep our fingers crossed that he can make a complete recovery.

Brutal.

That's not correct. A traditional ACL reconstruction is 9 months. He could do majority of pre season running and legit be available for round 1 2017.
He needs to regain strength & confidence in his knee once he returns to SANFL plus with a full list back on deck he slips down the queue it's quite likely we won't see him until 2018.

One of the only positives so far this season, along with the emergence of DBJ.

Hopefully by the time he returns we've sorted out our ruck woes and he can just focus on becoming a key forward. Ideally he'll be back in time to play some games late next season.

He needs to regain strength & confidence in his knee once he returns to SANFL plus with a full list back on deck he slips down the queue it's quite likely we won't see him until 2018.
So he's out for 18 months ??? If it's just an ACL - I disagree .. I have had 3 myself playing a good level of soccer. Came back best from my first (when youngest) within 8 months. He is a professional with all the help and guidance available. I reckon hel be back early next year.

Was commenting to my mate last week during the Bulldogs game the way he took that nice mark and how he athletically lopes around that he reminded me a little of a young David Schwarz. Sorry Doogs.

Was commenting to my mate last week during the Bulldogs game the way he took that nice mark and how he athletically lopes around that he reminded me a little of a young David Schwarz. Sorry Doogs.
More like a Matty Robran I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They say footy is an emotional game .
They got that right . You go up and down like a yo yo in a year like this . Now Doogs going down , he was showing something in most games .
All the best to him

Great that the surgery went well. Good luck Doogs. Looking forward to seeing you back in 12 months.

HOWARD UPDATE

Doogs has gone under the knife http://bit.ly/28IHt59

ACL confirmed for Howard, surgery successful
Matthew Agius - @matt_agius
20 June 2016 9:01 PM

DOUGAL HOWARD has undergone successful surgery to his anterior cruciate ligament, with the Power to wait on solidifying his long-term rehabilitation program.

ACL injuries typically take 12 months to fully rehabilitate.

Visiting the surgeon on Monday afternoon, scans showed a tear of the ACL with Howard going under the knife on Monday evening.

“In terms of the surgery, it all went well for ‘Dougs’, unfortunately it’s a pretty long road recovering from ACL injuries,” Port Adelaide’s head of high performance Darren Burgess told portadelaidefc.com.au.

“It’s too early to say how long the rehab will actually take, but often it’s a return around the 12-month mark."

My apologies to JimmyBeerCans and Macca19 - I guess my experiences are diff to Dougal and they are a bit more conservative these days. Burgess has said 12 months - so mid season next year he may be back and not round 1 like I thought he could be ...

Either way - poor bugger. Get the rehab right tho and hopefully he's back stronger than ever ...

Really rotten news, especially when you consider that many of us were genuinely excited with what he's already shown.

Best of luck to him in his rehab.

In the meantime, it further emphasises how much work is required to fix our list.

By my reckoning, we go into next year with (1) one big forward (Dixon) - Westhoff barely counts any more. Schulz can't be expected to play out a full 2017. Butcher's cards were dealt long ago; (2) two mature ruckmen, one of whom is coming from a year out of the game and the other has lost most supporters' confidence in him; and (3) a midfield which has regressed significantly in the past 2 years and doesn't have anywhere near the depth or quality of depth we had assumed at the start of the season.

Ideally, we'd recruit two big forwards, two high-end mids and a capable ruckman in the one offseason. Looks like most of those excess flankers we have will need to be shopped around.

Really rotten news, especially when you consider that many of us were genuinely excited with what he's already shown.

Best of luck to him in his rehab.

In the meantime, it further emphasises how much work is required to fix our list.

By my reckoning, we go into next year with (1) one big forward (Dixon) - Westhoff barely counts any more. Schulz can't be expected to play out a full 2017. Butcher's cards were dealt long ago; (2) two mature ruckmen, one of whom is coming from a year out of the game and the other has lost most supporters' confidence in him; and (3) a midfield which has regressed significantly in the past 2 years and doesn't have anywhere near the depth or quality of depth we had assumed at the start of the season.

Ideally, we'd recruit two big forwards, two high-end mids and a capable ruckman in the one offseason. Looks like most of those excess flankers we have will need to be shopped around.
If Hartlett isn't able to play most of the time in the midfield for whatever reason then we need to look at any serious offers we get for him.
We cannot pay the money he's on to Play as a half back flanker.
Broadbent is another that we could get something for maybe a pick in the 20's or early 30's.

If Hartlett isn't able to play most of the time in the midfield for whatever reason then we need to look at any serious offers we get for him.
We cannot pay the money he's on to Play as a half back flanker.
Broadbent is another that we could get something for maybe a pick in the 20's or early 30's.
You'd have to look seriously at those two and O'Shea as trade bait to begin with.
Not sure that we'd get much more than a first, second and third rounder though for the three of them combined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back