Play the showdown at the MCG - Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone seen Barrett without his glasses on? I imagine he looks like Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi

What Barret is doing here is trying to bring attention to what is one of the great rivalrys in Australian sport. He knows it's not going to happen, is trying to make a headline that brings attention.

In an underhanded way he is critisizing the vfl centric bullshit that is jealous of this rivalry and the high standard in showdowns

Every showdown should be broadcasted national celebrating the history of South Australia football that has given so much to this great game.

Barrett is a dickhead and has participated in anti south Australian bullshit many a time. But here he is not

It's not completely without precedent I suppose. The NRL has played state of origin there.

If the victorians want to acknowledge the South Australian rivalry as the greatest spectacle in Australian football, they should do so. We'll show them how to play with passion.

It wouldnt be right for one of our fan bases to lose out on this. Let us have a season where we play three Showdowns, and we'll happily smash our bunnies in a different state.

I’m not sure why people are so opposed to the idea. I think it would be equally great to see Hawthorn play Essendon at Adelaide Oval. Why not? Footy is awesome and there are some rivalries that are special. Why not occasionally let fans outside the respective states involved enjoy it?

I’m not sure why people are so opposed to the idea. I think it would be equally great to see Hawthorn play Essendon at Adelaide Oval. Why not? Footy is awesome and there are some rivalries that are special. Why not occasionally let fans outside the respective states involved enjoy it?

Essendon wanna play Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval? Fill your boots.

Don’t have an issue with Hawks vs Essendon at Adelaide Oval or any high profile Vic teams but let us understand that if it is two Vic minnow sides the crowd will be lucky to get past 20k.

Now if Saints or Roos want to play their game against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval and they get to keep the gate takings etc I would pay extra to see us play them in Adelaide.

Essendon wanna play Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval? Fill your boots.
Not suggesting it’s going to happen but there would be a tonne of fans of the bigger Vic sides here in Adelaide who would love to see them play at AO... plus a lot of neutrals too. I think it would be a great spectacle and an interesting game in the fixture. I just think there are worse ideas floating about than playing the occasional blockbuster outside of their traditional states.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not completely without precedent I suppose. The NRL has played state of origin there.

If the victorians want to acknowledge the South Australian rivalry as the greatest spectacle in Australian football, they should do so. We'll show them how to play with passion.

It wouldnt be right for one of our fan bases to lose out on this. Let us have a season where we play three Showdowns, and we'll happily smash our bunnies in a different state.

This would be the only reasonable way it could happen though.

As stated by plenty here, it does then raise the question - can we get a blockbuster interstate match at AO?

This would be the only reasonable way it could happen though.

As stated by plenty here, it does then raise the question - can we get a blockbuster interstate match at AO?
Or you only play one Showdown that year at the G. If you could commit to having two of these games over a six year period, then the clubs share giving up a home game once every three years... or the team giving up their home showdown purchases a home game from a financially struggling smaller club in the year it occurs, still allowing 11 home games at the AO...

There are ways to make it work. Personally, playing a finals like game at the G would be super beneficial to the club. Plus, I’d totally head over for the weekend. It would be sweet.

Or you only play one Showdown that year at the G. If you could commit to having two of these games over a six year period, then the clubs share giving up a home game once every three years... or the team giving up their home showdown purchases a home game from a financially struggling smaller club in the year it occurs, still allowing 11 home games at the AO...

There are ways to make it work. Personally, playing a finals like game at the G would be super beneficial to the club. Plus, I’d totally head over for the weekend. It would be sweet.
People are so paranoid about this, but I can't see how there isn't a huge benefit to the players.

If you don't want a Showdown on the G, don't moan about the fixture giving us no exposure to big MCG games.

As mentioned above State of Origin league has built its tradition as a brand that's marketable all over. Why can't a Showdown do the same?

It's hard enough to compete with clubs that routinely play finals type games at the G. Let's not wait for an invitation that's never coming - Crows and Port can create their own experiences

Its a ridiculous suggestion and just highlights the Vic centric nature of our AFL media.

If I was putting on a hypothetical hat to make the proposal work though...

2 year deal (to allow the below to work equally)
- the game is sold for a lot so when it flops in melb the clubs have already cashed in (plus its a potential tourism boom that weekend if it works so would only make sense the Vic government tips in to attract the game).
- each team forfeits 1 home showdown each
- in return for the forfeited home showdown, the club still gets the full 11 home games at AO

People are so paranoid about this, but I can't see how there isn't a huge benefit to the players.

If you don't want a Showdown on the G, don't moan about the fixture giving us no exposure to big MCG games.

As mentioned above State of Origin league has built its tradition as a brand that's marketable all over. Why can't a Showdown do the same?

It's hard enough to compete with clubs that routinely play finals type games at the G. Let's not wait for an invitation that's never coming - Crows and Port can create their own experiences

What do you mean “exposure to big MCG games”?

Are you talking about hostiel crowds? If so the maximum home and away crowd is around 55k when we play at the G and that is Collingwood and Richmond only this year - most tines it is in the 35k-40k range at the G.

Basically, if you an away team in any sport you have to be 5-10% better than your opposition to get over the home ground factors - ground, transportation, accommodation etc.

Having an extra game or two will not be the cure.

In fairness, he also states that the showdown should have been a Friday night match this season. I actually don't mind the idea and would test the view Victoria is the sporting capital of the world plus an extra game at the MCG wouldn't do any harm.
I think there'd be 15000 people there. 10000 SA Crows travellers and 5000 SA Port travellers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back